The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 24, 2015, 11:36 PM   #1
JJNA

New Smith and Wesson "Classic" Revolver Grips

I used to be a semi-auto-only guy, but over the past year have bitten the revolver bug hard. I have scoured Gun Broker for older Smith & Wesson revolvers and found several very slick examples with smooth triggers and gorgeous deep bluing. NOW I see why some folks rave(d) about smooth double action revolver triggers.

BUT, I find that the presentation and magna grips that accompany these guns (admitted very well made and fitted) just don't work well for me. After trying a variety of grips (Hogue, Altamont, Pachmayr, old factory, etc.), I found the Ahrends to be the most comfortable of the lot. So I spent a considerable sum putting the Ahrends on every revolver (and I am keeping the factory grips for collector purposes, as they are often fitted to the individual guns).

Then I felt these grips: https://www.gunsamerica.com/userimag...wm_4086147.jpg (here is another picture: http://picturearchive.gunauction.com...thumbnail0.jpg).

They are apparently factory S&W grips that come with the new "Classic" line (e.g. 586-8). The wood is nothing special, but the great thing about these grips for me is the very thin, gentle taper on the right side of the grip that provides for an excellent reach to the trigger for the index finger.

But I cannot find where to buy these grips. The presentation grips for sale at S&W website show the older, thicker grips. I would sincerely appreciate if someone could please direct me to where I can purchase these "Classic" line grips.
Old September 25, 2015, 12:04 AM   #2
9x18_Walther

Quote:
But I cannot find where to buy these grips. The presentation grips for sale at S&W website show the older, thicker grips. I would sincerely appreciate if someone could please direct me to where I can purchase these "Classic" line grips.
Hmm... Personal taste I suppose. If you hang out on the S&W forums, one of the biggest complaints with the "Classic" revolvers is how thin the grips are.

Not factory, but the Magma's from Altamont are thinner than S&W stock grips.

http://www.altamontco.com/experiment...son_kframe.php
Old September 25, 2015, 12:20 AM   #3
JimmyR

OP, if you aren't a fan of "goodyears" on your revolver, then I strongly reccomend either a set of Tyler T grips or similar on your revolver. It's a simple grip adapter that makes a world of difference.

Tyler Mfg is a pain to deal with, but I honestly think the product is good. You can often find your size on eBay, but they tend to ask more than retail due to the wait.

I have recently heard people mention BK grip adapters, and while they look like they would work well, I don't know for sure.
Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
JimmyR nailed it.
Old September 25, 2015, 01:18 AM   #4
JJNA

Altamont grips are pretty good, but they are curiously not beveled at the top of the back strap, where they are quite thick.

Tyler T is fine, but the Magnas are usually thicker than Ahrends.

Does anyone know who makes the grips for the new "Classic" line?
Old September 25, 2015, 01:21 AM   #5
Sevens

Why not put in a call to S&W? They would probably sell you some.

1-800-331-0852
Old September 25, 2015, 07:43 AM   #6
mj2007

Grips

You can pickup vintage wood grips online thru gunbroker.com or other sites. Tyler T Grips along with these vintage grips give you a good hold.
Old September 25, 2015, 08:03 AM   #7
Doyle

I may be kind of an oddball (OK, I walked into that one), but when "looking" at a nice revolver I do like the looks of nice presentation wood grips. However, when actually shooting, I always go back to the "goodyear" (Pachmayr or Hogue).
Old September 25, 2015, 01:53 PM   #8
rep1954

I have struggled with K-frame grips for a while and I am not a big fan of the Goodyear grips myself. I don't care for the smell or abrasiveness of most rubber grips I tried a Pacmayr Gripper Professional. This grip has a open back and extends just a little below the grip frame while being quite slim and very comfortable for my slightly small hands. I have tried many styles of grips with and without a t-grip adapter but have never shot as well with any as I have with this Pacmayr Gripper Professional. Be aware if you put rubber grips on a blued gun that it's best to take them off at each cleaning and clean and oil the guns frame where they make contact.
Old September 25, 2015, 06:23 PM   #9
CajunBass

Quote:
I have recently heard people mention BK grip adapters, and while they look like they would work well, I don't know for sure.
I have become a big fan of BK adapters over the last few years. I honestly can't tell them from Tyler's either by look or by feel. Perhaps if it was really cold the metal Tyler adapter would be colder than the Rosin BK, but at room temp I can't tell.

The BK's have two clips to hold them in place, and most importantly to me, I can go to their website, order them, pay for them with paypal, and have them in about two days. They're about the same cost as a Tyler's so that's not a factor.

BK on my Model 28-2

And on my 13-3

And here's an original Tyler on a Colt Cobra.

They make all the difference in the world in the way a set of Magna grips feel to me.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 25, 2015, 07:01 PM   #10
wpsdlrg

The grips pictured are just S&W K/L frame "target" grips, probably for a square butt grip frame. S&W still sells them (they are available on the website), but only for the square butt guns. If the gun (or guns) in question are round butt, you'll need "conversion grips"....which fit round butt grip frames, but the external shape and dimensions are the same as the traditional square butt targets.

Altamont sells these, both checkered and smooth. There are other companies that make them as well.....just search "target conversion grips for round butt Smith & Wesson revolvers".....or something like that.
Old September 26, 2015, 03:05 PM   #11
bedbugbilly

Two good places to keep track of . . the S & W Forum and flea-bay . . . if you're looking for something specific.

I have 5 "vintage" Smiths - they range in DOB of from the mid 1920's up to very early 1980's. To me . . grips are a personal thing. Some died in the wool folks want only original grips . . . others want "pretty grips". Mine are all "shooters". On all but my Combat Masterpiece I've switched out to Pachmayrs. The only reason I haven't switched the original style grips on the CM is because Pachmayr (owned by Lyman) puts the grip screw where it's right in line with the mainspring on most CM/Mod. 15s . . they know it and refuse to do anything about changing it.

I have two Model 36 J frames - a snub and a 3". Both get carried for CCW although I'm also using a Shield at times. The original grips on them were off in a hurry. Shooting them was like holding on to a rasp - after a range session with a 100 - 150 rounds through them . . my hands were raw. Pachmayrs solved that for me.

Everybody's hands are different as are everyones "tastes". Personally, I don't care if my revolvers are "pretty" with fancy grips. I'm more concerned as to the fit and function. I do keep the original grips with a future sale in mind should I decide to part with a handgun.

Good luck with your search . . . I think that probably we all have gone though trying to find the "right grip" . . . and as they say . . . "sometimes you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find the princess".
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 27, 2015, 03:25 AM   #12
JJNA

Quote:
The grips pictured are just S&W K/L frame "target" grips, probably for a square butt grip frame. S&W still sells them (they are available on the website), but only for the square butt guns. If the gun (or guns) in question are round butt, you'll need "conversion grips"....which fit round butt grip frames, but the external shape and dimensions are the same as the traditional square butt targets.

Altamont sells these, both checkered and smooth. There are other companies that make them as well.....just search "target conversion grips for round butt Smith & Wesson revolvers".....or something like that.
If this was directed at my original post, I can tell you that the grips on the new "Classic" line are nothing like the old target grips (which are thicker) or Altamonts.

Nobody here knows who makes these particular grips for S&W?

I think I will take up one of the suggestions above and call S&W.
Old September 27, 2015, 05:56 PM   #13
Webleymkv

The wood stocks that S&W uses on their classic series revolvers are made for them by Altamont. While some of S&W's factory stocks might not be shown on Altamont's website, that doesn't mean you can't get them. For example, I briefly owned a M40-1 which I'd bought used. The gun was in great shape except for damaged stocks. As many might know, the M40 and 42 S&W's use slightly different stocks from other J-Frames. After searching and searching, I finally emailed Altamont and they were more than happy to sell me the correct grips even though they weren't listed on their website.
Old September 28, 2015, 10:47 AM   #14
jackmoser65

Might be better off with some true custom stocks by Herrett's, Blumagnum, Kurac, or Keith Brown.
Old October 2, 2015, 06:58 PM   #15
Bart Noir

Eagle Grips has many for the S&W wheelguns.

Heritage

Classic

Premium

Bart Noir
Old October 3, 2015, 11:53 AM   #16
wpsdlrg

After some reflection on this, I think the OP might be referring to a particular type of S&W K-frame target stocks commonly called "Cokes". These were target stocks, but with a slimmer profile than the standard ones - and one additional feature. They had palm swells. So, looked at from the back, they had sort of the shape of an old-style Coca-Cola bottle.

S&W has not used "Cokes" for decades....and as far as I know, NO one manufactures them now. Original sets come up on the auction sites at times, but they tend to sell for hundreds of dollars. (They are highly esteemed by collectors.) It's a pity that no one makes them anymore - they'd probably find a ready market.

IF these ARE what the OP had in mind, he is most likely out of luck - except for one possibility. A smooth-sided set of Target stocks could always be obtained, from some outfit like Altamont, then re-shaped to match the "coke bottle profile". For that matter, a normal set of Targets can be re-shaped in many ways - to fit someone's specific requirements. A sharp wood carving knife, some sandpaper, etc.....is all that would be needed.

If the OP can't find what he really wants in commercially-made stocks for his revolver, I'd suggest he should get creative - and resourceful. It isn't that difficult.

Oh, by the way. The stocks shown in the photos - as posted by the OP - ARE simply STANDARD S&W Target stocks. They are not even "Cokes". So, since he didn't post photos of what he was really talking about (so it seems).....he didn't get a clear answer.

***Correction: It seems that one company IS making an approximation of the "coke" stocks - Nill Griffe. They are ONLY an APPROXIMATION, however....and are thicker at the top (the "horn" area) than the originals. They also cost hundreds - Nill Griffe stocks are quite expensive.

Here is a photo of regular Targets, as compared to the Nill Griffe faux "Cokes" :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nill-classic_SW_back_P1000538_cut_800.jpg (62.3 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by wpsdlrg; October 3, 2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old October 3, 2015, 01:16 PM   #17
Obambulate

I believe Culina makes K-frame Cokes in various hardwoods.
Old October 4, 2015, 11:02 PM   #18
JJNA

Ok, let me clarify again. The pictures originally attached are from the NEW "Classic" line of S&W revolvers, in this particular case 586-8.

These grips are NOT the old S&W target or presentation grips. They are supposedly SIMILAR, but NOT identical, to the older "Coke Bottle" grips. Whatever the case may be, I like these new "Classic" line grips and would like to get a set.

Someone posted above that they may be made by Altamont, but if so, they are not shown on Altamont's website and are unlike any Altamonts I have ever seen or handled.

I am going to call both S&W and Altamont and will get to the bottom of the matter.
Old October 5, 2015, 04:52 PM   #19
Webleymkv

Quote:
Originally posted by JJNA
Someone posted above that they may be made by Altamont, but if so, they are not shown on Altamont's website and are unlike any Altamonts I have ever seen or handled.

I am going to call both S&W and Altamont and will get to the bottom of the matter.
That someone was me. As I said in my previous post, not all of the stocks that Altamont makes for manufacturers (S&W isn't the only one using Altamonts as OEM stocks) are listed on their website. I know to a certainty that the stocks on all of the other New "Classic" series S&W's that I've handled or seen in person have been Altamonts including those on the M40-1 I mentioned above. The stocks on the 586 in your link have the same general shape, wood grain, and style of checkering that I've seen on other Altamont target stocks on new S&W "Classic" series revolvers.
Old October 8, 2015, 01:45 PM   #20
Bart Noir

From the Eagle Grips "Classic" link I provided:

"Our Heritage grip is reminiscent of the original Smith & Wesson factory Coke bottle style of grips"

I have no first hand knowledge of these yet, but would like to. Must go invert the piggy bank and check the sofa cushions for loose change now.

Bart Noir
Old February 6, 2017, 12:58 AM   #21
71Bacon

here

JJNA, look here

http://m.gandermountain.com/modperl/...lions&i=756404

Gander mountain item no 756404

I had the same exact question as you - where to buy these classic line grips - and from surfing around found these. They aren't advertised as such, but these are the classic line grips and not the ones in the S&W store. They look like the version with dark wood and bronze color medallions as found on the Smith Classic Model 48

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-48

That being said, I can't imagine why these are being sold anonymously like this at Gander Mountain unless they are just extras from a production run that are quietly being sold off. The ad does say they are factory Smith and that's it, no mention of the Classic line. I've not seen them anywhere else. A strange way to sell special issue items like this.

I ordered a set yesterday and can't wait to get them I love the factory vintage look of these grips. We will see if I receive the grips in the picture, there's always the chance the picture is wrong and these are something else.

Ps I know this thread is old - hope this info helps somebody out.

Last edited by 71Bacon; February 6, 2017 at 01:17 AM.
Old February 6, 2017, 05:40 AM   #22
JJNA

Thank you very much. I really appreciate the tip. I did order one set.
Old February 10, 2017, 04:07 AM   #23
JJNA

I received the set. Unfortunately, it fits pretty loosely on all the K/L frames I have. It's going back to Gander Mountain.
Old February 10, 2017, 10:44 PM   #24
71Bacon

I'll try mine in the next couple days.
Old February 11, 2017, 11:17 PM   #25
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
I received the set. Unfortunately, it fits pretty loosely on all the K/L frames I have. It's going back to Gander Mountain.
Aren't these just slab style grips (vs. insetted for the particular frame).
How can they be loose as they bolt to either side of the grip frame?

Perhaps try some putty in the pin hole so that they don't slide around and that should take care of the "looseness"