The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 14, 2010, 08:03 PM   #1
michaeljohn

info inquiry for two mausers

looking for some info on two mausers the first one is stamped OVIEDO 1923 and that is all I know about it, the other is a columbian M1924/30 and I only know this as I have seen a photo with that info and it matched mine exactly. I am hoping to find some parts for both I need a trigger guard with spring and folower for the OVIEDO, and a complete bolt for the columbian. I am a Soldier and a couple of years ago while I was deployed my family moved to fort hood apparently my wife didn't think the little boxes with parts in them in the shed were important and threw them away. so if anyone out there can hook an old soldier up I would sure appreciat the info.
Old January 14, 2010, 09:57 PM   #2
30-30remchester

To start with I know for myself and many others in here I want to THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY. The reason Im comfortably sitting in my chair tonight is because of your service. I have checked "THE BIBLE" of mauser books by Ludwig Olsen and he say Oviedo mausers were built in Spain and that it could be either 7.65x53 Argentine mauser or 8MM mauser caliber however he is also talking about the model 27. The Colombian was made by FN and should be chambered for 7x57. Again this imfo isnt from me but a book on mausers. Most all of these parts should be avalible online or gun shows, with headspace checking needing to be done on rifle needing the new bolt.
Old January 14, 2010, 10:43 PM   #3
michaeljohn

thanks for the help

Hey I appreciate the help and the sentiments. I was pretty sure one was a
7mm mauser and one was an 8mm mauser but couldn't for the life of me remember which was which, I picked them up years ago and have started custom stocks for them and am just now looking to finish them up. really wish the wife wouldn't have missed packing the parts but hey she does a lot when Im gone so its hard to get upset. thanks again.
Old January 14, 2010, 11:06 PM   #4
30-30remchester

Dont trust my above comment on calibers as I have been reading more since first post. The Oviedo could have been a 7x57 also. Many of these guns were converted after manufacture by the powers that be at the time. With about any military mauser it is best to slug the barrel and do a chamber cast.
Old January 19, 2010, 02:12 PM   #5
dutchy

I have shot a .308 win "spanish mauser" as they were called back in the 80's.
They were abundant because of their price. As I remember they kicked considerable but had good accuracy and were either in very good condition or very well refinished.
I am sure they were .308 because they were not allowed into official matches for military rifles because of their calibre.

One more reason to make sure you got the calibre right before you use it.
Old January 19, 2010, 03:50 PM   #6
Scorch

Quote:
I have checked "THE BIBLE" of mauser books by Ludwig Olsen and he say Oviedo mausers were built in Spain and that it could be either 7.65x53 Argentine mauser or 8MM mauser caliber however he is also talking about the model 27
Sounds to me like you need to read a different Bible.

Model 1916 rifles were not chambered in 8X57mm or 7.65X53mm. 7.65X53mm (often called 7.65 Argentine or Belgian) was the standard service cartridge of Argentina, Colombia, and Bolivia. Argentina received its weapons from Germany (Loewe, DWM, Mauser), Colombia received most of its weapons from Belgium (FN), and Bolivia received many of its weapons from Austria (Steyr).

All Model 1916 short rifles manufactured at Oviedo armory (including yours manufactured in 1923) were Mauser 1893 pattern rifles originally chambered in 7X57mm, the service cartridge used by Spain from 1893 until 1943, when they adopted the M98-based Model 1943 chambered for 8X57mm, which were made at La Coruna armory. The Guardia Civil (paramilitary police) received the rifles chambered in 7X57mm (Model 1904 standard rifles and Model 1916 short rifles) as well as submachineguns and pistols chambered in 9mm Largo (the military switched to 9X19mm). The Spanish military and Guardia Civil were kept separate in munitions, armories, supplies, etc, until the 1960s due to concerns about another revolution. Spain did not export weapons to other countries, its license with Mauser was very restrictive.

Parts for 1893 Mausers are becoming increasingly scarce. Some parts from 1895 Mausers will fit, but not all.

Your 1924/30 is a M98 pattern rifle, most likely made by FN. Standard M98 and K98 parts will fit it. If unsure of the chambering, have a chamber cast made.
Old January 19, 2010, 03:50 PM   #7
tater134

The missing parts for the Spanish mauser should be pretty easy to get ahold of.You can try putting a looking for ad over on the Surplusrifle.com forums to see if anyone has any there.You can also check Numrich Gun Parts to see if they have the parts you need.

The Colombian should use a standard 98 mauser bolt assembly which should also be easy to get.Just make sure it headspaces correctly before firing it.

Btw the Spanish mauser will be either 7x57 or 7.62x51 and the Columbian will be in either 7x57 or 30-06.