The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 10, 2005, 07:39 PM   #1
frank4570

Shorten S&W revolver barrel?

Is there anything not obvious about shortening a S&W revolver barrel? It looks to me like on a 657 it would be 1) remove the front sight 2) cut the barrel 3) crown 4) smooth out any rough edges,shape 5) new sight. Done
Is that about right?
Old August 10, 2005, 08:39 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

More or less.
Old August 10, 2005, 11:30 PM   #3
BillCA

Replacing the front sight ramp is careful work as is crowning the muzzle.
If you're looking for a custom barrel length it might be cheaper and easier to write S&W and ask if their custom shop would do it for you. The worst they can say is "No". (Actually the worst would be to price it $80 more than you're willing to pay.)

Keep in mind that if you shorten a 6" barrel to 5" .. or a 4" to 3", the roll stampings on the barrel will be off-centered in the final product. This will be a dead giveaway to a non-factory "bobbed" barrel if you ever sell the gun.
Old August 11, 2005, 06:29 AM   #4
frank4570

Off center stamp. I never would have thought of that. It doesn't matter to me in this case, but still, it is something I had never considered, thanks.
Old August 11, 2005, 01:10 PM   #5
Dave Sample

The best way I think, would be to buy a shorter bharrel the size you want and install it. A shorter barrel has a different front sight height than the long one. I did this to an Old M&P some years ago for a personal carry gun and I had to use the lathe to fit the new barrel, but it turned out very well and shot well.

I traded it off to do body work on my wife's Buick Park Avenue. The car looks really nice still.
Old August 11, 2005, 01:46 PM   #6
cntryboy1289

lol

I agree with Mr. Sample on this. When you change the barrel length, you chance the sight radius. If you cut the barrel, you will need to have the correct blade for that length barrel. If you can find the sight blade you need, it could be used, but I would simply replace the barrel. Advertise the old barrel for sale here on the want ads, you will most likely be able to sell it if you ask a decent price and recoup some of the money you spend on the new barrel.