The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 10, 2017, 12:18 AM   #26
DaleA

Quote:
So you all gonna let a little girl be tougher than you all?
Well I am! After shooting I'd like to do some other stuff with my hands besides whimper.

She handles that LCR very well!
Old January 11, 2017, 02:23 AM   #27
Doc Holliday 1950

HVR,

I changed the grips on my wife's LCR 357 mag to Houge's and tried running
125 grain Hornady and it was not pleasant. I figure that in the worst case of SD
I might be able to get off 1 or 2 shots but that's it. Now it's strictly 38 sp.P+
110 or 125 grains for me and 38 sp.for the Mrs. the extra 4 ozs. for her actually makes a huge difference for her ability to shoot accurately. Good luck.

Doc
Old January 14, 2017, 04:17 PM   #28
HighValleyRanch

Recoil impulse comparison test

Shot off a few rounds to compare this afternoon.
I live out in the country, but am considerate of my neighbors, so only shoot a few at a time.

First I shot one Buffalo Bore .38 +P 158 grain Keith Hardcast outdoorsman in my 4" Ruger Security Six.
Then I shot an Armsco .357 (midrange power) 158 grain to compare recoil impulse. Both shot were almost identical in recoil impulse. Which leads me to believe that the BB load is just about low end .357.

If you read the numbers, out of a 4" barrel, the .38 +P is running 1146fps and 460 foot pounds muzzle. That's pretty close to what the low to midrange .357 is running and the recoil impulse confirms my theory.

Then I tried three rounds out of my LCRX with the new hogue tamer grips (the ones that come on the 3" LCRX) and it was stout, but controllable. The recoil impulse was higher of course because of the much lighter weight, and the noise and blast were more.
Note: four rounds loaded, and checked the unfired fourth round for jumping crimp, and it was fine.

I'm pretty sure the .357 LCR is next on my list, if I don't get the Ruger 77/357 rifle first!LOL

Last edited by HighValleyRanch; January 14, 2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old January 14, 2017, 04:36 PM   #29
iraiam

Quote:
Do you have a special hold or technique for this?
What grips are you using?
I have the LCR that came with the Crimson Trace grip. I don't think there is anything special about how I hold it. I grip it very tightly, and use 2 hands in either iso or weaver stance. I have occasionally shot it one handed, but prefer not to.

A loose hold on the grip will cause a recoil that is painful in just a few shots, particularly on my trigger finger.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old January 26, 2017, 11:48 PM   #30
HighValleyRanch

Well, I went in to do the paper work on my new Ruger LCR .357 today and got to try the trigger out dry firing. Same exact superb trigger with cam action as my other LCRX.
Have to wait ten days in the commie state of California, so make myself busy splitting and stacking wood, mucking barns to whittle the time away.

I'll do a range report when I pick it up in a couple of weeks.
First shot will be a magnum round!
Old February 7, 2017, 01:57 PM   #31
HighValleyRanch

So read above post #28 for the comparison between the BB .38+P outdoorsman and the .357 Armscor ammo in my Ruger security six.

The rain let up just enough so that I could take my new .357 LCR down to the field for a few shots for comparison.

Loaded 2 of the buffalo bore .38 +P outdoorsman and the 2 of the Armscor .357 for a side by side comparison of the recoil impulse. I know, not scientific and somewhat subjective, but a good clue to the power output of both loads.

The LCR was fitted with the larger Hogue Tamer grips found on the 3" LCR for maximum control and comfort. All four shots sounded and felt identical in recoil impulse. I bet I could mix and match a cylinder and a test shooter would not be able to differentiate the difference between the two loads.

No problem in shooting this low to midrange .357 out of the LCR, so will find some slightly hotter loads to try out for when I go to the range.

Could not find any load data for the .357 Armscor rounds.
Old February 7, 2017, 06:30 PM   #32
DaleA

Ruger .357 Magnum LCR. You're a better man than I recoil-wise.

I shot a couple range ammo (Magtech IIRC) 158 grain .357 magnum rounds out of a Ruger .357 LCR and 'just won't do it no more!'

I think the range ammo I shot would be just run of the mill .357 rounds, nothing like some of the higher power defense rounds. I can't see the range selling 'hot' ammo when a lot of it is shot thru their rental guns. I shudder to think what a Buffalo Bore .357 magnum round would have done to me.

Good luck. The Ruger LCR sure seemed like a well made, solid little revolver.