The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 17, 2007, 10:04 AM   #1
leebo

Clean burning AR15 powder?

I've been using Reloader 15, AA2230 and TAC, and I see lots of preference for H335. How clean burning is it?? Is it close to or the same as WC844? This is for volume loading, so good powder metering is a plus.
Old October 17, 2007, 10:21 AM   #2
TATER

Hard to beat WW_748
Old October 17, 2007, 11:38 AM   #3
UGH

I use 2230 and h335. both seem to be about the same.
Old October 17, 2007, 11:40 AM   #4
straight-shooter

Quote:
I use 2230 and h335. both seem to be about the same.
+1

I've had good results with both of these. H335 is now my standard powder of choice. Powder metering is excellent and consistant.
Old October 20, 2007, 12:32 AM   #5
totalloser

Totally 748. SUPER accurate. Less muzzle flash and cuts throat erosion by 300% according to the military. That's why they use it in their loads. Clean burn. Love the stuff. Lil more spendy, tho.
Old October 20, 2007, 09:06 AM   #6
Linear Thinker

I mainly use AA2230 for lighter bullets in 223, 2520 for heavier. Neither is clean-burning, but both make accurate loads. Both meter consistently.

I tried Vihta N140 for heavy bullets, it was very clean burning, but my rifle did not like the loads. I gave up before experimenting with COL, powder charge, different primers etc.
LT
Old October 20, 2007, 11:25 AM   #7
castnblast

I don't have an A/R...but, I'm assuming 223? Try benchmark. It's a fast burn, and excellent metering. It meters as good as H380 (balltype) but is a true extruded powder. It is very clean burning.
Old October 20, 2007, 12:25 PM   #8
Scorch

WW-748/BLC-2, H335, Imr 3031.
Old October 20, 2007, 03:14 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

748 burns at a lower temperature than most powders, which reduces heat stress crack formation in the throat, but in .223 I find it wants a heavier bullet to really shine. The 77 grain Sierra MK, for example.

Some years ago I was running 2520 in my M1A and discovered I could cut group size 40% by deburring flashholes in the cases it was filling. I never saw any difference in stick powder performance from this process, though. The ball powders meter best, but are harder to light up consistently, which is why the deburring helped.

By the way, to get a sense of metering, I pulled bullets on a number of match rounds once, including Federal Gold Medal .308 and Winchester Supreme. From the charge weights and powder appearance, the Federal had something very close to IMR4895 in it, while Winchester was pretty clearly using a non-cannister version of 748. The Federal charge weights ran +/- 0.2 grains, E.S., which is about as good as I've seen a stick powder meter. The Winchester was +/- 0.05 grains, E.S., the tightest commercial charge weight distribution I've ever seen. By comparison, some old M118 (pre-M118 LR, still with the solid nose bullet) ran +/- 0.8 grains E.S., in the rounds I pulled. No question the ball powders meter well.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 20, 2007, 03:17 PM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

748 burns at a lower temperature than most powders, which reduces heat stress crack formation in the throat, but in .223 I find it wants a heavier bullet to really shine. The 77 grain Sierra MK, for example.

Some years ago I was running 2520 in my M1A and discovered I could cut group size 40 by deburring flashholes in the cases it was filling. I never saw any difference in stick powder performance from this process, though. The ball powders meter best, but are harder to light up.

By the way, to get a sense of metering, I pulled bullets on a number of match rounds once, including Federal Gold Medal .308 and Winchester Supreme. From the charge weights and powder appearance, the Federal had something very close to IMR4895 in it, while Winchester was pretty clearly using a non-cannister version of 748. The Federal charge weights ran +/- 0.2 grains, E.S., which is about as good as I've seen a stick powder meter. The Winchester was +/- 0.05 grains, E.S., the tightest commercial charge weight distribution I've ever seen. By comparison, some old M118 (pre-M118 LR, still with the solid nose bullet) ran +/- 0.5 grains E.S., in the rounds I pulled, and some Lake City M2 Ball (.30-06) ran +/- 0.8 grains, and that despite its being a ball powder.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 20, 2007, 03:30 PM   #11
swmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalloser
Totally 748. SUPER accurate. Less muzzle flash and cuts throat erosion by 300% according to the military. That's why they use it in their loads. Clean burn. Love the stuff. Lil more spendy, tho.
????? According to the TM, M-855 is loaded with WC844 which is the same as H-335. I find my loads with 748 to be slower than H-335 which is more than clean enough for my rifle.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old October 20, 2007, 03:55 PM   #12
Trapper L

The original loading of 5.56 ball ammo was with IMR4475. It changed when DuPont couldn't make enough of it and then they used the WC846 made by Olin. The cycle rated increased on the M16 but the rates were not exactly what the military was looking for. They loaded ammo for awhile using IMR8206 but there was the issue with muzzle flash and throat erosion for extended service rifles. They are now using WC 845 which is about the same burning rate as BL-C but it has a low burn temp, low muzzle flash, and has a detergent that is ideal for keeping the gas system clean on the M16. FWIW, TAC also has a similiar detergent. All of the above powders are good in the 223 and 5.56. The WC844 is slower than H335, WC846 is faster than AA2460 and faster than 748. The WC 845 is in between so they all are fairly close together in burn rate. If any of you decide to buy bulk military powder, stay away from powders marked with the initial T such as WC 844T. It burns at a much high temp to ignite tracer bullets and shorten barrel life. Also, WC-845 is not to be confused with WCR-845 which is for armor piercing ammo. And powder marked SMP 745 is not for any of the above but for the newer 6.8 ammo. Got a score card- you'll need one if you want to keep up.
Old October 22, 2007, 12:53 AM   #13
totalloser

Winchester advertises the use of 748 in current military 5.56 loads. Just looked in my Natchez catalog. I believe it was for ss109. They say "low flame temperature" I'm not savvy enough to know what that means. I understand "fast and slow". Main reason I got it was so I could load .308 with the same jugs.
Old October 22, 2007, 08:42 AM   #14
Mach II Sailor

""deburring flashholes""

this is one of the most neglected phases in reloading.

when i get more time i want to post the results of my "experimentation" with the interior deburring of flashholes
Old October 22, 2007, 01:17 PM   #15
Dallas Jack

I've only used H335 for .223 so I do not know how it compares with others.
Dallas Jack