The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2017, 01:27 PM   #1
Carmady

.380, 95gr LRN & 4.2gr Power Pistol?

I'm using Missouri Bullet Co's 95gr LRN, and would like to know if any of you have loaded this bullet or a similar one with 4.2gr of Power Pistol.

Searching on the web showed this recipe a few times. I fired some loaded with 3.0gr of PP, and while it worked fine it was very dirty. I've read that that's pretty normal for PP at sluggish velocities, and I'd like know if 4.2gr of PP is safe. The small case volume could lead to high pressures in a hurry.

I'd been using a COL of .960", but read today where .964" is recommended by the bullet manufacturer, so I'll be using .964" from now on.

I also have some HP38/231 and have been using 3.0gr of those. That load pops up a lot when searching.
Old March 4, 2017, 02:32 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Without knowing the bullet length, I can't tell how much powder space you are leaving under it. However, I can say that in QuickLOAD, a number between 4.2 and 4.3 grains of Power Pistol produced about the same pressure as 3.0 grains of 231/HP38 with a 95 grain cast bullet, and did so at several seating depths. They don't track exactly (the second decimal point between 4.2 and 4.3 was not the same seated out as it was seated deeper) but the match was always between the the two. So 4.2 should be OK.

The dirt is from lack of pressure and burn time with that cartridge and bullet weight.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 4, 2017, 03:04 PM   #3
Carmady

Thanks a lot. Maybe the extra powder will help it burn cleaner.
Old March 4, 2017, 06:38 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

More powder means higher pressure, and higher pressure speeds up the powder burn, so it burns more completely. Just don't expect it to get as clean as the faster powder is at that same pressure.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 5, 2017, 08:29 AM   #5
rob-c

you should be fine, my load is rimrock hard cast 95 grain bullets with 4.2 grans of PP at .960 and all was good. wife's lc380 likes this combo...
Old March 5, 2017, 12:26 PM   #6
Carmady

Thanks guys. I've loaded some with 4.0gr and some with 4.2gr, and hope to try them this week.
Old March 5, 2017, 03:48 PM   #7
Rule3

Alliant data is 4.8gr max for a Speer Gold Dot 90 gr
(yes technically is is a super duper plated bullet)
Start data would be 4.5 gr

You are using a 95gr lead bullet which load at light FMJ data but you bullet is also 5 grains lighter.

I would try to 4.2 gr but be sure of you powder weights. Power pistol is a very "clean burning" powder Most of the dirt is the lube used on the bullet.

Next time you buy bullets try the Hi Tek coated ones. No smoke or lube fouling.

Quote:
I'd been using a COL of .960", but read today where .964" is recommended by the bullet manufacturer, so I'll be using .964" from now on.
Where does MBC list COAL? or seating depth? You need tp determine that by your barrel of your gun.

Last edited by Rule3; March 5, 2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old March 10, 2017, 10:45 AM   #8
Carmady

"Where does MBC list COAL? or seating depth? You need to determine that by your barrel of your gun."

Rule3, I found a thread on the S&W Forum where you mentioned Brad? with MBC told you that's what they use, or something like that. I did test one in the barrel, and it looked fine to me. Thanks for sharing that.

Yesterday I shot 20 rounds loaded with 4.0gr PP, 17 rounds at 4.2gr PP, and 100 rounds with 3.0gr PP (already had those), and everything went smooth and issue free. The stronger loads did chuck the brass further, but that was to be expected. The next time I'll have 100 @ 4.2gr PP, and see how that goes.

I'm not really experimenting, just trying to find out what I prefer from two loads with different powders, with everything else the same.

4.2gr PP vs 3.0gr HP38

Thanks again to everybody for the input.