The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 19, 2016, 02:44 PM   #1
nomad636

Suppressor Question - NUBE

I was wondering what kind of performance reduction can be expected when using a big bore suppressor (AWC Thor PSR .338lm) on a 5.56 rifle. I'm new to suppressors and am looking for one that will cover all of my rifles. I didn't know if the performance would be drastically reduced when using it on a smaller caliber... even though the blast chamber is substantially larger for gas capacity over standard 5.56 suppressors.

Thanks for the help!

Unless of course.... you can end him from a further distance.
Old July 19, 2016, 08:28 PM   #2
Sharkbite

I shoot 556 thru my 308 can ALL the time. It works fine.

9mm thru a 45 can as well. The extra volume makes up for the increased bore size.

Im sure there is a point where that is no longer the case. 17hmr thru a .50cal can, for example
Old July 19, 2016, 08:32 PM   #3
Poodleshooter

That's really going to be can specific I suspect.
In general, an overbore suppressor will have larger volume, be just a bit louder, and will usually weigh more if the materials are the same.

It's also $200+ another suppressor cheaper.

End cap diameter at least doesn't matter much on subsonic pistol suppressors. Unlike with rifle suppressors, end caps can often be swapped out for subcaliber end caps, creating a situation where the gas volume of a can is kept constant so as to evaluate only the changed end cap. Reports I've heard online and locally are that the difference is not discernible to the ear and was deemed immaterial by most.
Old July 19, 2016, 08:37 PM   #4
Mobuck

If you're just playing, maybe it's OK. If you hunt with your suppressed rifle, you may find the big, bulky can has disadvantages.
We bought into the "one size fits all" and got .30 cal cans. I decided a dedicated .22 center fire can was worthwhile and have one on the way. Approx 3" shorter length makes a diff for me since I'm not tall. I'm hoping baffles being closer to bullet diameter offsets the reduced length(the ads say it will).
Old July 19, 2016, 09:51 PM   #5
Crunchy Frog

As Poodleshooter said, some .30 caliber cans have removable endcaps so that you can put on a 5.56 endcap when shooting the smaller caliber.

I've seen some videos where they show (and even measure) the sound differences with the larger and smaller endcaps. There seems to be some sound reduction with the smaller endcap but it does not seem to be a huge difference.

Hard to give an opinion without firsthand experience.