The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 22, 2013, 09:40 AM   #1
FoxFirearms

W & C Scott & Son Trap / Skeet Shotgun

Hi all. I have a W & C Scott & Son single barrel shotgun, serial 101036 (on the receiver, barrel and forend), but I can't seem to find it anywhere. There is no model name or number. It has a 20" ribbed barrel with a very large, odd-looking, Lyman Cutts choke on the end, which is 7", making the overall length of the barrel 27". I'm guessing this shotgun had another barrel at one time, and this is a field barrel. It has a straight stock with an outline to make it appear as though it has an adjustable cheek rest (I can't tell if that's original or someone did it for appearance). It only has a single firing pin, so there's no over/under barrel for it. One side of the barrel has the W&C Scott information and the other side says The H&D Folsom Arms Co New York.

First and foremost, any information about this shotgun would be GREATLY appreciated. Second, I would like to get an appropriate trap barrel for it. Does anyone know where I could get either a W&C Scott barrel or after-market barrel for this shotgun.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WCscott1.jpg (9.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg WCscott7.jpg (35.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg WCscott9.jpg (12.8 KB, 31 views)
Old November 22, 2013, 12:35 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

You could try looking on sites like www.gunsinternational.com, but I suspect it might be a long search
Old November 22, 2013, 12:47 PM   #3
FoxFirearms

I've looked high and low, and only found one close, but it didn't have the faux adjustable cheekrest. Thanks for the input.
Old November 22, 2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Jim Watson

H.D. Folsom was the US distributor for W&C Scott before WWI.
I found old advertisements dated 1907 and 1910.

I have seen other single barrel trap guns mutilated like that with the barrel sawn off and an adjustable choke installed.

I don't think there is much chance of getting an original barrel from a defunct company for a hundred year old gun.

Briley will do a "barrel sleeve" by cutting the old barrel clear off and using the chamber section as a Monobloc for a new barrel of whatever length and choke you want. $1300 for a single.
Old November 22, 2013, 01:33 PM   #5
FoxFirearms

That's interesting info. I don't know if I want to spend $1300 for a sleeve. Have you seen any like this with the line on the stock, to make it look adjustable, or do you think the fool that cut the barrel also marked the stock?
Old November 22, 2013, 02:14 PM   #6
RJay

Perhaps the relief is there so the shooter knows where to position his head properly and in the same place each time he brings it up .