The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 19, 2013, 09:23 PM   #1
LockedBreech

Finally, a Mosin

I don't mean to steal any thunder from the other new Mosin thread right now, but I am too happy not to post. Pictures are forthcoming.

I have always had an admiration of and fascination with the Russian people. As a child, my mother introduced me to a scared and lovely young girl named Emiliya who had just moved from a rural area of Eastern Russia. She spoke no English, I spoke no Russian. Slowly, word by word, using flash cards and gestures, I helped teach her my language, and she helped teach me hers. To this day, I speak rudimentary Russian and she speaks fluent English. She also grew up to be devastatingly hot, but that is a story for another thread.

My admiration for the Russian people is reflected in their firearm design - the guns and people both are, without any room for debate, tough. Russia's people have suffered wars, oppression, a bitter climate, and ongoing bleak prospects for work, freedoms, and economic prosperity. Still, the Russians have always faced strife with what could almost be called a resolute resignation. If I had to choose a motto for the Russian people, it would be "get the job done". Russian weapons have largely reflected that, Mikhail Kalashnikov's Avtomat most notoriously. The Mosin-Nagant, in all its various iterations, is no exception.

There is no reason to exhaustively document the history of the Mosin-Nagant. It has been done by far smarter folks than I, and in much more precise terms. Instead, with the help of 7.62x54r.net, I will introduce you to my Mosin.

My Mosin was purchased for $149 from Bud's Gun Shop last week. It was rated "Excellent" and distributed by Century International Arms, though the electropencil markings indicate PW Arms. While I am not exactly a firearms appraiser, as a consumer I am happy with and agree with the "Excellent" rating. The largest flaws are a few small (very small) chips and scores in the lovely, comfortable, dark-colored wood furniture. The metal and finish are in great condition. The rifling is strong and clear, with no/minimal pitting. The rifle has not been counterbored.

My rifle is a 1943-issue, matching-serials (MX 4218), Izhevsk-manufactured 91/30 with a round receiver, flat rear sight leaf, and overall length of 48 1/2".

I really am blown away by how solid the condition of the metal and the rifle as a whole is. The bolt in particular is perfectly smooth to operate and looks completely new. The bolt face is completely unmarked. The rifle is comfortable to shoulder, reassuringly sturdy, and a much better firearm than I expected.

More importantly, as a lifelong admirer of Russia, a lifelong World War 2 history buff, and of course a gun collector, this gun speaks to me. All collections have a theme. Some collectors collect rarities and quirky guns. Some collect the highest-end hunting rifles and shotguns, with intricate engravings and meticulous attention to detail. Many collectors worship at the altar of the 1911, quite rightly. Some collectors revere the wheelgun. Some of the best (think bac1023) dabble in all of these areas.

The theme of my collection is "service" - guns that are or or have been issued to, or authorized by, police, military, or security forces. This rifle, the most common variant of the Mosin platform, issued to the largest wartime army ever mustered, certainly meets that definition.

While there were atrocities on all sides of the Second World War, the average Soviet Union soldier was poor, young, and uneducated. He usually went into battle under-equipped, sometimes even told to wait until a fellow soldier died to pick up a weapon and join the fight. These soldiers, by and large, relied on the sturdy, reliable Mosin Nagant in such pitched, horrible battles as the siege of Stalingrad. In desperate times, this rifle design did its job, and I'd like to think the soldier this rifle served would be happy it ended up in the hands of someone who loves history, loves soldiers, and holds great affection for Russia.

It's not pretty. It's not marksman-accurate. It's not expensive. It's rough and poorly finished. It's a battle rifle for the masses. A simple, quality design that was easy to learn and could be counted on when things were at their worst. Few designs in history have been so well-proven.

War is over for my Mosin. It will take trips to the range, be lovingly cleaned, and be returned to a hard case I bought for it today that cost 1/3 what I spent on the rifle itself. I have no regrets about spending that money. This robust, reliable tool has earned some TLC. Already the Cosmoline is scrubbed and the metal lovingly treated to Breakfree and Q-tips. Certain seams of the rifle still sweat a small amount of Cosmo, but I expect with enough shootings and cleanings the last bits will go away.

For the $149 I spent, I was surprised at the history I learned researching this rifle and how captured I was by the unknown history that resides in this wood and steel. Reading about history is something enjoyable. Holding a piece of history, still ready to work like it was made yesterday, is something else entirely, and entirely worth the price of admission. The bayonet that came with the rifle did not fit, but that's a minor complaint.

And now, pics. Please excuse my awful skills and the iPhone camera. I'm not sure why just the first picture did a 180 flip.

Last edited by LockedBreech; June 19, 2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old June 19, 2013, 09:30 PM   #2
LockedBreech

Old June 19, 2013, 09:31 PM   #3
LockedBreech

Old June 19, 2013, 09:46 PM   #4
Garycw

Finally, a Mosin

Nice looking mosin. Looks like she's found a good home. Now you just need the rest of her family.
Enjoy!
Old June 19, 2013, 10:13 PM   #5
LockedBreech

Thanks! You're darn right about that, an M44 is on my very shot list after this.
Old June 19, 2013, 10:20 PM   #6
Garycw

Finally, a Mosin

There ya go. There was some good ones around from century imports a while back. I picked this one up
Old June 19, 2013, 10:30 PM   #7
LockedBreech

Love it, looks very easy to handle and point. If I had a bit of spare cash I'd get one now, but I'll definitely get one now that I have the fever. They really are outstanding rifles at the price point.
Old June 20, 2013, 04:12 AM   #8
Aaron1100us

Re: Finally, a Mosin

Beautiful looking Mosin. I plan on getting one some time. I love Russian guns and want to start collecting them. All I have now is a Dragunov Tiger.
Old June 20, 2013, 08:05 AM   #9
tobnpr

Quote:
All I have now is a Dragunov Tiger.
Gotta keep rubbing that in, huh?
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old June 20, 2013, 08:39 AM   #10
TnTnTn

Nice write up on your 'new' MN. One can feel your passion by reading the post. Personally I never cared much for the MN although I have several of them. Make mine a Mauser, Enfield, Springfield, Swiss, or a Arisaka. Now the Russian hottie is a different story!!
Old June 20, 2013, 11:00 AM   #11
LockedBreech

Thanks for the kind words. I certainly can see how the Mosin does not appeal to all. It has less elegant lines than its contemporaries, arguably poorer accuracy, and a more basic design. The Enfield, in particular, is a more elegant weapon, and the K98 Mauser is a work of beautifully machined art. The beauty of the Mosin is utility and ease of production. Much in the same way that the Russian T34 tank was boxy, ungainly, and did not strike a memorable image, but was actually an excellent tank that dominated battles and was easy to produce.

I love the rifles you list also. I must own a No. 4 Enfield.

Aaron, that Dragonov is a great rifle, very cool.

Last edited by LockedBreech; June 20, 2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old June 20, 2013, 04:41 PM   #12
Miss Stana

Beautiful guns and great history lesson. Thanks. Enjoy shooting and finding the rest of 'the family'.

AIC
Custom Rifles
Old June 23, 2013, 01:28 PM   #13
Duzell

looks nice, and with matching serial numbers from the looks of it. cant wait to see some shooting pics to see how it does
Old June 23, 2013, 05:14 PM   #14
Pezo

Ill tell you I love shooting my 33' ishvisk hex receiver 91/30. I never was a bolt action guy but this rifle is a blast to shoot. I want to take it every time to the range. Another thing is I've always wanted a big old musket before until I got this thing and it seems to have satisfied that need. I love this rifle.
Old June 23, 2013, 05:31 PM   #15
Pezo

Btw. Mine likes the winchester 180 grain soft points flawless function and great accuracy. More expensive than surplus sure but no hassle cleanup.
Old June 24, 2013, 09:42 AM   #16
Duzell

mosins are just fun to shoot, even if its just blowing things up.
i can say after handling a few friends bolt actions i actually prefer my mosins bolt over others.
Old June 24, 2013, 08:09 PM   #17
LockedBreech

Finally, a Mosin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duzell View Post
mosins are just fun to shoot, even if its just blowing things up.
i can say after handling a few friends bolt actions i actually prefer my mosins bolt over others.
I was also struck by how the bolt was great compared even to some new current production rifles.

Thanks for the kind words y'all.
Old June 25, 2013, 01:39 PM   #18
Duzell

keep us posted, an if have time post in the "have mosin post it"