The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2013, 07:40 PM   #1
02bigdogs17

Powder

I have recently got a can of Hercules 2400, and Hercules Herco. My question is are these powders the same as Alliant 2400, and Alliant Herco. They are old cans but in brand new condition still sealed. Just need to know if I still use the loading data for Alliant. Thanks...
Old February 19, 2013, 07:47 PM   #2
SHR970

Yes and Yes
Old February 20, 2013, 12:29 AM   #3
black mamba

There is some anecdotal evidence that Alliant 2400 is a little faster than the older Hercules 2400 was. Always consult the newest, latest load data you can find (pressure measuring is much more accurate now than it used to be), and start well under max to work up loads.

If the older stuff is a little slower, you should have a little more margin for error . . . which is a GOOD thing.
Old February 20, 2013, 03:06 AM   #4
Hammerhead

I think there may be an issue with Hercules 2400 and Alliant 2400 data, I would research it before using it.
Old February 20, 2013, 06:18 AM   #5
Nathan

This seems like a good opportunity to call Alliant.
Old February 20, 2013, 10:33 AM   #6
bluetopper

Like your first response........yes and yes.

Carry on and load on.
Old February 20, 2013, 11:09 AM   #7
Live45

I just recently loaded some .357's with some 30 year old 2400 that I had stored in a closet in our home. They all went bang just like normal!
Old February 20, 2013, 03:44 PM   #8
Sevens

Quote:
There is some anecdotal evidence that Alliant 2400 is a little faster than the older Hercules 2400 was. Always consult the newest, latest load data you can find (pressure measuring is much more accurate now than it used to be), and start well under max to work up loads.

If the older stuff is a little slower, you should have a little more margin for error . . . which is a GOOD thing.
If the anecdotal evidence -IS- fact, then your advice is good. But it's based on.... anecdotal evidence?! If the newer stuff happens to be slower...?

A call to Alliant is the safest route, but might not net the best results. Often in this day and age, the easiest and "safest" answer for those guys to give is, "sorry, we didn't make it, we can't comment, we think you should go out and buy a new bottle with our name on it."

If that's the result of calling them, I can't see any valid reason why it wouldn't make sense to simply look for some older published data. And yes, we can help in finding some of that if you cannot.

(keep in mind, however, that black mamaba's advice to look for new & current data is also a quite relevant and good tip, as the newest data typically has the most modern TESTING which has produced it. Over time, a lot of published data has been lowered a bit across the board and many folks believe it's all due to "lawyers" but the fact is quite simply that the ballistic labs that do the testing and produce the results have much better & more accurate pressure testing equipment these days than they did in the heyday of Hercules powders.)

I still have a couple different Hercules powders on hand.
Old February 20, 2013, 05:43 PM   #9
Shootest

I have loaded with 2400 when it was Hercules, and still today. I changed nothing when it became Alliant and have noticed no difference. Your experience may differ, but I doubt it.
Old February 22, 2013, 07:42 PM   #10
02bigdogs17

powder

Well I e-mailed Alliant and got one back today. They say it is the same and to use current load data for it. Thanks for all the comments.