The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 21, 2013, 06:04 PM   #1
TennJed

Tell me about the S&W 469

He guys, I am looking at picking up a S&W 469. It will be $399 OTD (no tax). It looks to be in fair-good condition. It has some wear on the normal carry spots. A couple of small nicks around the trigger guard. What can you tell me out this gun? Is that a fair price. Any info would be appreciated. I do have a few specific questions.

1) anyone know the exact dimensions of the 469?

2) I have a 5906 already. Should I expect the same reliability from the 469? Is the 469 a 2nd gen? What are the primary differences in gens?

3) will my 5906 mags work in the 469? If so where can I get grip "spacers" to make the mag look natural while on it

4) does anyone know anywhere to get wood grips for it?

5) Where can I find info on the manufactor date. Google showed a recall for it, but I could only find dates and have no idea what the date on this is
Old January 21, 2013, 06:28 PM   #2
carguychris

Quote:
It will be $399 OTD (no tax). It looks to be in fair-good condition. It has some wear on the normal carry spots. A couple of small nicks around the trigger guard. What can you tell me out this gun? Is that a fair price.
Two months ago, I would have told you that this price was ~20-30% high for fair-good condition, but in the current market conditions, all bets are off. Right now, the fact that it's less than $400 and takes mags in excess of 10rd capacity makes it a good buy.
Quote:
I have a 5906 already. Should I expect the same reliability from the 469?
More or less. Hard to tell considering we're talking about used guns.
Quote:
Is the 469 a 2nd gen? What are the primary differences in gens?
Yes, it's a 2nd-gen. The most important differences are:
  • Separate screw-on grip panels and metal mainspring retainer, rather than pinned wraparound plastic grip unit with integral mainspring retainer
  • Front sight is integral with slide rather than dovetailed, making night sight installation much more involved
  • Different rear sight design than later fixed-sight 3rd-gen guns (screw-adjustable unit was not used on 69-series guns of either generation)
  • Separate 1911-style barrel bushing complicates field-stripping procedure slightly
  • RH-side ambi decocker/safety was optional; if present, it will probably be attached with an unsightly Philips- or Allen-head screw rather than a tab retained by a hidden spring-loaded plunger. (This was a late 2nd-gen change, so a few 2nd-gens have it.)
Quote:
will my 5906 mags work in the 469?
AFAIK they will. IIRC all 59-series mags work in any 59- or 69-series gun (or 9mm Marlin Camp Carbine).
Quote:
If so where can I get grip "spacers" to make the mag look natural while on it... does anyone know anywhere to get wood grips for it?
Sorry, can't help you there.
Quote:
Where can I find info on the manufactor date. Google showed a recall for it...
Call S&W customer service; the gun is recent enough that they should be able to look it up. You can also get a general idea by posting the 3-letter serial prefix.
Old January 21, 2013, 06:39 PM   #3
TennJed

Thanks!! I know it will be hard to tell on reliability being used. I guess I should have worded it, is the 469 as well respected as the 5906
Old January 21, 2013, 06:52 PM   #4
TheNocturnus

Had one and sold it. I regret that sale very much now. Get that 469 and enjoy it.
Brain (Use this one the most)