The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 10, 2011, 10:39 PM   #1
chasep255

Shotgun Silencer Choke Tube

http://www.kebcollc.com/cart/store.p...on=show_detail

Why is this not an NFA Suppressor? Also do you think I could have this in NJ?
Old March 11, 2011, 12:24 AM   #2
Don H

You can probably find your answers in this thread from last month: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441508
Old March 11, 2011, 01:51 AM   #3
David Hineline

You understand that this silly thing adds 32" to your existing shotgun barrel of 30" making the over all length 64" or so, that's just stupid.
Old March 11, 2011, 03:42 PM   #4
chasep255

I saw that thread which is what made me interested in this but I don't know if its legal.
Old March 11, 2011, 05:08 PM   #5
oneounceload

Quote:
You understand that this silly thing adds 32" to your existing shotgun barrel of 30" making the over all length 64" or so, that's just stupid.
I can see by your uneducated comment that you have never seen one or shot a gun with one on it before - perhaps you should have kept your mouth closed.

They were designed for urban wildlife control in places such as city parks. They do a remarkable job of muffling the sound to the point that hearing protection is not required. Having shot one designed for a Beretta semi, it was amazing how well it swung on targets, and with the proper choke tube, absolutely smashed targets. They were originally made by a French company and sold through marketing companies like Hastings - it is a barrel extension with holes in it - nothing more. They work well for their intended use
Old March 11, 2011, 06:39 PM   #6
David Hineline

So you are saying a 60" shotgun is not stupid when one can just legally put a silencer on their gun and have pest/noise control that is not 60" long.
Old March 11, 2011, 06:45 PM   #7
Willie Lowman

Here is a pic of Tom Knapp with one. I would equate the report to a car door being slammed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1001.jpg (233.3 KB, 76 views)
Old March 11, 2011, 08:57 PM   #8
oneounceload

Quote:
So you are saying a 60" shotgun is not stupid when one can just legally put a silencer on their gun and have pest/noise control that is not 60" long.
So what "silencer" are you talking about that fits on a 12 gauge shotgun? Please post the pics and specs.
Secondly, this does NOT require a $200 tax stamp or any registration - why would you want to go through that process if it isn't necessary?

Really..................
Old March 11, 2011, 09:31 PM   #9
David Hineline

http://www.redjacketfirearms.com/firearms/firearms.html

There is one manuf. of shotgun silencers, why would I go through the NFA process if it were not needed, so as not to look stupid with a 60" shotgun.
Old March 11, 2011, 09:32 PM   #10
chasep255

Isn't a silencer any devise designed to muffle the report of a firearm. Why isn't this one?
Old March 11, 2011, 09:32 PM   #11
David Hineline

Even Europeans know silenced shotguns make sense.

http://www.saddleryandgunroom.co.uk/..._Hushpower.htm
Old March 11, 2011, 09:49 PM   #12
oneounceload

Quote:
There is one manuf. of shotgun silencers, why would I go through the NFA process if it were not needed, so as not to look stupid with a 60" shotgun.
Only seems to be for a Saiga...not everyone prefers to own one of those, and again, you need a tax stamp.......for a lot less I can have the tube that works just fine - then again, I don't foresee needing one of these to stop zombies with a Saiga - but they do work well for their intent, without any of the NFA hassles

Maybe you should try one before yammering against something you have zero experience with
Old March 11, 2011, 10:30 PM   #13
StrongSideArmsInc

Quote:
Isn't a silencer any devise designed to muffle the report of a firearm. Why isn't this one?
A silencer is defined as a item that is made to contain gas, unburnt powder, and flash.

This is nothing more than a glorified muzzle brake. Since there is no canister surrounding it.

Also, if you notice the advertisement, they suggest it with Sub Sonic loads in order to get the deciable reading down. If you shoot subsonic loads in a 22LR rifle, you can safely shoot one with out hearing protection.