The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 22, 2011, 10:36 AM   #1
fishhead1

Shells for Remington Model 870 Wingmaster?

OK. So I finally bought the really nice used Wingmaster (26 in skeet barrel) I've been agonizing over for several weeks. Too nice to pass up. I've sent an email to Remington to see if they can give me any vital stats on the weapon.
Now, for the dumb question (I'm not a shotgun expert). Assuming the gun will double for home defense (back up to my trusty Security Six, or visa versa ?), what type shells (2-3/4 in variety) would NOT be compatible with this gun?

Last edited by fishhead1; January 22, 2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old January 22, 2011, 11:26 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Any 2 3/4 inch round is fine in that gun type. If it has a DOUBLE FULL turkey choke you might not want to fire slugs or steel shot thru it though...

Brent
Old January 22, 2011, 10:18 PM   #3
sirsloop

You can safely fire any **RIFLED** slug through a choke tube. For HD purposes you are probably best with #4 through 00 Buck, and possibly a shorter barrel. Basically the only thing I would not shoot through a barrel with a choke tube is an unrifled slug.
Old January 22, 2011, 11:07 PM   #4
Stiofan

Any 2 3/4" shell, unless it's barrel is not steel shot approved (a gun mfg in the early 80s or before with original barrel), in which case only shoot lead or non-toxic shot through it. My Wingmaster was made in 1976, I had to buy a new barrel to use it for waterfowl with steel shot.
Old January 23, 2011, 12:54 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Basically the only thing I would not shoot through a barrel with a choke tube is an unrifled slug.
By "un rifled" i assume you mean a "sabot slug" designed for use in a rifled barrel...

If my assumption is correct, I hope it is only because you would not get the desired accuracy capability they can have. At 3-5 dollars per shot, I wouldn't shoot them either but not because they are not safe to fire through the smooth bore gun...

They are just a bullet in a plastic shim.

As for the steel shot... I forgot that at one time, manufacturers did not approve their older barrels for steel shot use...

Brent