The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 28, 2009, 09:51 PM   #1
Servo77

Benelli Nova Tactical Question

Anyone have a nova tactical...thinking of picking one up but am a bit concerned that it may have an unnecessary amount of recoil. I know it is a 12 guage and I do not mind the recoil of my 870's or the like, but from searching around the net for info, apparently the nova is a bit of a kicker. It is not any lighter than an 870 (nova weighs in around 7-8 pounds, same as a comparable 870). I like the nova for resistance to the elements. Is the "recoil" issue mainly because it is chambered in 3.5" shells. I rarely shoot 3's, let alone 3.5's.
Old September 29, 2009, 12:45 AM   #2
jgcoastie

I have a Super Nova "Tactical"... I don't think the recoil is any worse than any of the 870's/500's/BPS's that I've had over the years... I make sure to take it along in addition to my Mossberg 930 every time I go shoot skeet just to shoot it a bit. The rest of the time, it stays loaded with #4 Nitro Steel and resides in the closet. It's not something I'd want to shoot all day with 3" or 3.5" magnum loads, but that's not what it was designed for in the first place, and I also can't think of any pump I'd want to shoot 3"/3.5" magnums out of all day anyway.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 29, 2009, 11:22 AM   #3
Creeper

As JG alluded to... the (standard field stocked) Super Nova has no more or less recoil than any other pump shotgun in the same weight range, with the same stock composition and similar LOP and recoil pad.

IMO... If you're looking at the version with the "ComforTech" stock and GR sights, (stock number 20155), this would be the most comfortable shooting (and practical) tactical SN to have, followed by the PG stocked (20160) model... unless you don't like GR sights that is.

C
Old September 29, 2009, 06:00 PM   #4
Micropterus

I have the Super Nova Tactical and think its one of the most comfortable and softest shooting 12g pumps I've ever fired.