The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 25, 2009, 08:22 AM   #1
DaveInPA

Beretta Urika 2 - Good shotgun?

I'm in the market for a semi-auto shotgun that will work well for both trap shooting and 3 gun. My local gun shop has a new Beretta Urika 2 synthetic in stock for $775. I shouldered it last night and it felt GREAT. I'm really thinking this may be the one. According to Beretta:Beretta’s self-compensating gas valve lets you shoot the full range of your favorite ammunition. THAT sounds great. One gripe I've heard about semi-auto shotties is the fact that they can be finicky about shooting lighter loads.

Now, a few questions:

1. Anyone used one of these? Any input?
2. Is a 28" barrel too long for 3 gun?
3. Does anyone know of anyone who makes a mag extension for this shotgun?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/44014
Old September 25, 2009, 07:59 PM   #2
mwar410

I've had one for about 5 yrs now. great gun, It is my go to gun. I've been testing the "dirty" gas operated gun debates with it. Acouple of weeks ago was the first time I tore it down and cleaned it, about 1500 rds/yr. only sprayed break free in the breach and rarely mopped the bore. This gun operates flawlessly. For $775 I'd buy two. I think mine was $1200.
Old September 25, 2009, 08:55 PM   #3
oneounceload

Beretta's semi shotGUNS (not sure what a shotty is), work very well in the hands of someone who understands the idiosyncrasies of a semi shotGUN and can appreciate how they operate, notwithstanding the fact that they MAY have issues with light target loads
Old September 25, 2009, 09:07 PM   #4
DaveInPA

God forbid someone use a slang word. What the . . . . ? Lighten up, Francis.

Old September 25, 2009, 09:13 PM   #5
oneounceload

call it correctly FRANCIS..............it's a shotgun, not a shotty
Old September 26, 2009, 12:18 AM   #6
LanceOregon

Quote:
1. Anyone used one of these? Any input?
The Beretta 391 Urikas are great shotguns. I own two 391 Urikas and love them for both Sporting Clays target shooting and bird hunting. I do not have the newer model Urika 2

Quote:
2. Is a 28" barrel too long for 3 gun?
A 28" barrel is generally an ideal length for any type of shooting, in my opinion.

Quote:
3. Does anyone know of anyone who makes a mag extension for this shotgun?
No, no one makes a mag extension for the 391 Urika shotguns. All 391 Urika shotguns have a gas piston shaft or barrel retention stud attached to the factory magazine tube. They cannot accept an extension tube.

If you do want a Beretta that can accept a high cap mag extension, then what you want to get is the 3.5 inch magnum version of the 391, which is called the Beretta Extrema 2.

4, 5, and 6 round mag extensions are available for the Extrema 2 to add to the 4 round capacity that it already has. If you add the 5 round mag extension to an Extrema 2 that has a 28 inch barrel, the extension will be flush with the muzzle, and you will have a gun with 9 + 1 ammo capacity. Surecycle products are real high quality.

See this web page for info on the mag extension:

http://www.surecycle.com/store/pc/vi...1&idcategory=6

The Extrema 2 is just a slightly beefier and heavier gun that is able to take 3.5 inch shells, in addition to 3 inch and 2 3/4 inch ammo. I own one of them too, and it does a great job of cycling any ammo that I put in it, including target ammo.

It would be an excellent 3 gun shotgun for shooting buckshot or slugs, due to its heavier weight.

An Extrema 2 would cost you about $175 more than a Urika 2. But you would have no problem at all in converting it into a high capacity shotgun.

--
Old September 26, 2009, 03:12 PM   #7
M&P40

I just looked at one today and really liked it. Beautiful gun with walnut finish. Price was 1099. Compared to what I saw and have been reading it seems like a n excellent value.
Old September 26, 2009, 04:32 PM   #8
RNB65

IMHO, Beretta makes the best semi-auto scatterguns available today. Pick the one you like best and go with it. I seriously doubt you'll be disappointed. I've never done any 3 gun, but a semi-auto shotty with a 28" barrel is a perfect general purpose gun for any type of shotgun shooting. Just change the choke to fit the event.

A few years ago I sold off a Browning Gold to buy a 391 Urika and I've never regretted it for a second. The Urika is a much better shotgun than the Gold. YMMV.
Old September 26, 2009, 04:33 PM   #9
mwar410

back from the range

actually had a few blips today. Using remington sport loads ( wally world $22/100) second shell didn't chamber correctly. Now remembering that I had this problem when it was new. It doesn't seem to like the nickel looking brass. Maybe it was too dry from my cleaning. But it functions my light reloads without problems.
Old September 26, 2009, 10:54 PM   #10
DaveInPA

Well since the Beretta cannot accept a magazine extension, it won't work for me. I fondled a Benelli M2 field and fell in love. I do believe that'll be my shotgun.
Old September 30, 2009, 05:28 PM   #11
LanceOregon

Well, I see that Bud's price for the 391 Urika 2 is now $799 But that is still an exceptional buy.

A Beretta 391 Extrema 2 would probably cost you at least $200 more. That is the best price that is currently available on gunbroker.com, for an even $1,000 :

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=141614457

Have you handled the Extrema 2?? It is still less than what a new Benelli M2 Field model costs. You should at least try to find a Beretta 391 Extrema 2 to handle, before making up your mind.

It will certainly have less recoil than the Benelli, which would be real nice if you plan to shoot buckshot ammo from it. Buckshot loads recoil incredibly hard.

--