The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 15, 2009, 08:41 PM   #1
zip22

Mossberg 930 combo 18.5" and 28" - good first shotgun?

I'm interested in a shotgun for both HD as well as my first foray into skeet / trap / and or sporting clays. I don't really have an interest in hunting at this point. Would this be a good entry into the shotgun world for $475 + transfer fees? I was looking at pumps, but why not go auto for this price?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49886.jpg (10.4 KB, 1040 views)
Old September 16, 2009, 01:16 AM   #2
Wait, I'm Reloadin'

I would look for something used but in good condition. don't have any experience with this gun but at that price there has to be more options. Autos are nice but have to be kept clean, I would check out local pawn shops, mine are always fully loaded with shotguns. Look at Remington 1100/1187 that and browning or beneli. I have a Mossberg 500 12ga and Ithaca 37 featherweight 20ga. I like the Ithaca better for skeet because it is lighter and feels smoother, but the mossberg is all-purpose built to take abuse from slugs, buckshot, and has removable chokes.

corey
Old September 16, 2009, 01:37 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Zip, That sounds like just what i wish I had the cash for... Can't beat that price for a new American built auto loader combo set up! If it has the accu-choke threads you have a gun for all seasons and reasons...
Being a gas gun, you will need to know the maintenance but I bet you learn it easily... Awesome price IMHO.
I did not see the combo with that barrel combo. If it has an 18.5 smooth bore it will be cyl bore I am guessing for HD, but the combos on their site are slugsters... I did see they have a "security barrel"... which one is it? Do you have the stock number?
Brent
Old September 16, 2009, 01:39 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

OOPS seen your pic late... cool setup! I would feed it!
Brent
Old September 16, 2009, 06:06 AM   #5
zip22

Its listed on the Mossberg site under the 930 Special Purpose, item number 85325 - the field / security combo.

18.5" is cylinder bore, 28" is ported and comes with accu set chokes

http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...&display=specs
(this site doesn't list the accu set, but the catalog does)
Old September 16, 2009, 07:56 AM   #6
zombieslayer

Havent shot one, but i love mossbergs, and that is a versatile package. A huntin barrel and a hd barrel. If i didnt have my shotguns and needed one for versatility, i'd try it
Old September 16, 2009, 08:05 AM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Zip, What will be the primary use of this gun? Reason i ask is that the 930 in a different combo may cost a bit less as the tactical market right now is hotter than a 2 dollar pistol. You may get the wooden gun with 26 field and 24 slugster for the same price... not telling you what to get just pointing that out about the tactical market. The 85120 is sharp looking and the 85125 is the combo.
Brent
Old September 16, 2009, 11:16 AM   #8
Lee Lapin

Hope yours doesn't kick as hard as mine does... even with light bulk pack loads it's pretty brutal.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old September 16, 2009, 11:21 AM   #9
hoytinak

I like that 930 combo set. I currently use a 500 with both a 18.5" & 28" barrel for my HD/trap/hunting, very versatile setup....might have to look into the semi version myself.
Old September 16, 2009, 10:28 PM   #10
zip22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdogs
Zip, What will be the primary use of this gun?
Home defense, and I am also looking into trying trap or skeet or sporting clays.
Old September 16, 2009, 10:51 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

In that case it is the ideal combo!
Best of luck and be sure to let us know how you like it...
Brent
Old September 18, 2009, 08:21 AM   #12
pinetree

Seems like a sweet combo to me. I see no reason for pumps except affordability. I have been shooting the same semi Beretta for over a decade. From duck blind to millet field to clays, no big deal. The comment about making sure they are clean isn't true in my case. 2 weeks ago, I shot 12 boxes in the field and range. I did a routine 10 minute wipe-down and am headed to Canada in 2 weeks where I'll probably shoot a case without a thorough cleaning. I can only remember to FTF's and that was due to cheap Winchester shells with the nickle/steel rather than brass. I stick with Fiocchi when I can.

tjg
Old September 20, 2009, 10:02 PM   #13
zip22

So, buds has the 930 combo (85325) for $474 and the similar 500 pump combo (54169 - same two barrel options, but wood instead of synthetic stock) for $294. Is semi-automatic worth $180? This is my first shotgun so I'm looking for a good bang for the buck that I won't feel bad about if I decide to move on to something else in the future. Also, will these come with some sort of a case, or is that a separate purchase?

Last edited by zip22; September 20, 2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old September 20, 2009, 10:08 PM   #14
hoytinak

I've had my 500 for several years and I'd take it over the 930. Just cause there's fewer parts to mess with and on the average pumps are more reliable and durable than semis.
Old September 20, 2009, 11:40 PM   #15
.351winchester

IMO yeah it's worth it as far as autos go the 930 is a solid, reliable, fast gun for a very reasonable price. Then again...a 500 is a staple. I'll flip a coin and say go with the 930 and all its possibilities, but realize at some point you may have to actually clean it. Good call on Mossberg. And on going with a combo (particularly useful 18/28, I had 24 rifle sighted smoothbore/28 vent rib later chopped at 19" once filed flat and level No way to make a clean looking cut thru the rib though, with hand tools). If i wanted just one shotty for sport (the sports of 3 gun and pickup games of clay targets with buddies) and home, would blend the options and go a Remington 1100 Tac 4 (or the FN SLP eqivalent). If I were to own a 28" 930 barrell, it damn sure would have a full length extension (10+1) to clamp on to. Because it exists.

Before i fell in love with the SPX or it was concieved, the 18.5" bead sight HS model really turned me on. First semi auto shotgun to do so. Previously would never have considered an auto for HD (even a Benelli), but research found an unusually robust and reliable model. traditionally had prefer the inherent trustworthiness of a pump and a large frame wheelgun over a 1911 for castle duty, and disregard gas impingement AR's entirely. Of all places, defending yourself in your own home is no time for dealing with a malfunction

Really AFAIK the 930 is Mossberg's first auto series to really catch on. Wish I would have went with a SPX instead of Saiga, and even the butter smoothness and Comforttech of a similarly configured M2 Tactical doesn't begin to justify costing twice as much. The SPX might be the best all around tactical shotty out there all factors considered

For home defense, the plain HS model/configuration is better than the SPX. KISS whenever possible. The SPX is a 100 yard, ammo depending, weapon system. You're better off with a bead for real life, adrenaline pumping/state of shock, indruder in your home, fall back autopilot onto your weakest level of training, kill or be killed, life altering action. And lack of mag extension...whatever. I think all mag tubes ought to go flush with muzzle (at least in 18-20" range, defense and combat oriented variants) not just for using capacity potential which is always 'why not', but they balance nicely muzzle heavy IMO. I would probably not bother to add one to the HS or Combo model so configured. Plenty to do a shotgun's indoor job.

between the the 500 combo or 930 combo, congratulations on a choice you'll be satisfied with and not look back either way. The 930 is a lot of auto for the money though, well worth 180 more than a pump.
Once you use a tang safety, you're a Mossberg guy for life. As a 500 and later 590 owner often thought the 870 superior and is in some ways, but both great guns the best is probably whichever you get used to first. Just like 10/22 vs. Marlin, AR vs. AK. If a large portion of the shooting public own a model, chances are you're going to be alright. Cleaning the 500 can suck re:small parts around the loading port (thankfully no 870 thumbreaker lever) and action bar attachment. Over the course of 10 years, annual at minimum stripdown cleanings...every time was like the first time. Deficiency in mechanical inclination for sure, but a somewhat delicate procedure for anyone it would appear, gravity working against ya. Had a 1300 Mariner too that I hated for punishing recoil and that was with low brass 7.5 (and ugly black parkerizing on reciever of mirror shine chrome everything else gun, not to mention the slide's pushstart unlocking coupled with too pronounced grooves in the forearm leading to pinkie dislocation... all the time), but for whatever it's worth there's a Glock simple pumpgun to take apart to clean after the first akward experience my one compliment to the 1300

Plus if you watch sunday ads, sometime you may be able to get the 500 combo for 100 less than even that, at which point, you should. but if this is not a question of auto or pump, the choice seems so obvious. The only other auto you could probably get for under 5 tag price was made in turkey, this is mossberg and ya get the 2 barrels to cover anything suitable for flying pellet clusters
Just one drunk mossberg fan's opinion. You went with a winner either way
Peace
gnite

Last edited by .351winchester; September 20, 2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old September 21, 2009, 08:36 AM   #16
oneounceload

Make sure the gun FITS, else it will beat you up - that's true of ANY gun, not just this model. Depending on how well it fits, you may find that a better recoil pad is in order, or an adjustment to the various stock dimensions - make the stock fit you, not the other way around
Old September 21, 2009, 01:17 PM   #17
zippy13

HD guns are like air bags in cars/trucks, you hope you won't use it; but, you still want to know it will work when needed. Since you'll probably be actually firing it at clays, perhaps you'd be better served with a wood target stock.

A BIG +1:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneounceload
Make sure the gun FITS, else it will beat you up - that's true of ANY gun, not just this model. Depending on how well it fits, you may find that a better recoil pad is in order, or an adjustment to the various stock dimensions - make the stock fit you, not the other way around
Old September 21, 2009, 01:44 PM   #18
oneounceload

Sure seeing a lot of "little zips" around here Zippy - are these your kids???

Zippy13 is absolutely right - I have a 500 somewhere around here - I might need to use it someday, so I need to practice more for that.....but I shoot at clays a lot and just prefer those wood and blued guns with 30" barrels......
Old September 21, 2009, 06:54 PM   #19
zip22

is a target stock something special? or are you guys saying I should go with the wood 500 combo for $294?
Old September 21, 2009, 07:22 PM   #20
oneounceload

A target stock can be beneficial from a target shooting perspective. BigJimP likes his Brownings to have that parallel comb type stock - would also work well in other situations. But FIT is critical, no matter the stock type - not just for comfort, but also for your ability to point properly and hit your target
Old September 21, 2009, 07:43 PM   #21
zip22

Is there much fit variation in the sub $500 semi-auto (or the sub $300 pump) markets? Seems like the mossberg 500 and the remington 870 are the main contenders. This will really be an introduction gun - I'm sure if I enjoy shooting clay, I will move up to something nicer down the road.

Also, I am still wondering about a case. Does the gun come with one?
Old September 21, 2009, 08:01 PM   #22
zippy13

1-oz
Zip22's not one of mine. But, he could be related: he's paying attention and asks questions when he's uncertain.

I got the stock dimensions from the Mossberg site's Special Purpose section for what seems to be the combo in question (#85325, MSRP $604). My eyes must be getting old, the gun in the pic seems to have a lot more drop that the standard Mossberg specs of: LOP of 14", DOC of 1-1/4" and DAH of 2"

I forgot to mention earlier: For target work with the VR barrel, adding a mid-rib bead is a worthwhile investment.
Old September 21, 2009, 08:21 PM   #23
oneounceload

Quote:
Also, I am still wondering about a case. Does the gun come with one?
Unless the store is having some form of promotional deal, no. A soft case, good enough to go in the truck cab or trunk, will only be about $10.

A pump will work for clay games. It will beat its finest with trap singles from the 16 yard line since you only shoot one shell at a time and you won't have to try and work the pump while swinging on a second target. Skeet has 4 stations where you will need to work that pump smoothly for a second shot on the second target. Sporting clays with have 50 pairs of targets spread over (typically) 15 station in groups of 3 or 4 pairs. Personally, I would make sure I was well-versed at operating that pump smoothly before trying that game. It CAN be done with a pump, it just isn't the BEST choice for that - a semi or over/under fit the bill better for that game
Old September 22, 2009, 12:51 AM   #24
LanceOregon

Quote:
I was looking at pumps, but why not go auto for this price?
That is what I keep telling folks. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a good functional autoloading shotgun.

The CZ Model 712 utility shotgun is another such gun, which can be purchased for under $400. See:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/59707

You could order an extra hunting barrel from CZ USA, and basically end up with a package for close to the same money.

--

Last edited by LanceOregon; September 22, 2009 at 01:00 AM.
Old September 22, 2009, 12:54 AM   #25
LanceOregon

Quote:
Autos are nice but have to be kept clean,
Yea, it is definitely a good idea to not bother to clean your shotgun.

Who wants to waste their time maintaining their gun with a cleaning, when they could instead be doing other more fun things??

Better to just keep the gun dirty.

--