The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 6, 2009, 09:51 PM   #1
Shooter_454

new 45 colt

I want to share some pics of my new 45 colt,i have a few ?'s.What ammo are you 45 colt shooter using and is it ok to use winchester 225 gr sivertip hp i also have some cowboy loads 250 gr flat nose.This is uberti hartford 45 lc.

Thanks for any input.

Old August 6, 2009, 10:01 PM   #2
Gun 4 Fun

They are decently made guns, and will take Silvertips without blinking.
Old August 6, 2009, 10:18 PM   #3
Smokin_Gun

Xlint Revolver Shooter 454 Congrads...and I'm jealous :O)
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old August 7, 2009, 12:56 AM   #4
Doodlebugger45

Wow. There hasn't been any factory 45 Colt ammo on the shelves around here in about 8 months so I kinda forget the differences. But you can bet that pretty much any factory ammo will work well in your revolver. About the only ones that you MIGHT come across that you need to be careful with in your gun is ammo by Buffalo Bore or Double Tap. That is some super hot stuff that could possibly be a bit much for your revolver, but even that could work. The chances of coming across that stuff is rare though and it will cost you a small fortune to buy. Otherwise though, pretty much anything you're likely to see on the shelf will work great in your .45 colt. I have a couple of them and they aren't real picky about what will shoot pretty well. A .45 Colt revolver is kinda like a crocodile. They will eat about anything and thrive on it with no complaints.
Old August 7, 2009, 01:36 AM   #5
Buzzcook

I'd look at these if I had a gun like this.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=993543
Old August 7, 2009, 03:11 AM   #6
Daryl

I'll expand on what doodlebugger45 wrote.

DO NOT use ammo loaded by Grizzly, Double Tap, Cor-Bon, or Buffalo Bore if it's loaded heavy. Some of their ammo is loaded too hot for Colt clones (which is what you have), and will damage your gun.

Check their websites to see which of their ammo is ok in your revolver, and then don't accept mine or any other's word to the contrary of what's on their respective website(s). Some of these ammo makers load ammo way higher than SAAMI spec's in this cartride, so you have to be careful.

Ammo loaded within SAAMI spec's will be fine in your gun.

Daryl
Old August 7, 2009, 07:06 AM   #7
GeauxTide

+1 Daryl and DB45

Stick with the low end 45LC loads. If you start reloading, there's lots of data out there on 14,000psi loads.
Old August 7, 2009, 07:45 AM   #8
Shooter_454

Wow guys thanks for all the input.I'm new to cowboy guns but not new to firearms,do you all load with 6 or 5 the john wayne load,one in skip one then four.Also this is the old style with firing pin on the hammer and i belive a black powder frame.
Old August 7, 2009, 04:26 PM   #9
brian45auto

colt 45 is one of those cartridges, that once you start shooting it, you should really think about reloading.
Old August 7, 2009, 04:46 PM   #10
Jim March

First thing you want is these:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=471503

One report on Rugerforums says they do work - not "kill a rabbit across the back yard" accurate (and some ammo will keyhole) but you can get a good feel for the gun for dirt cheap. You basically get six 1" barrel 22s.

As to real ammo: your gun is pretty nice. Recent Ubertis are respectable. I think Ruger makes a better gun overall, so does USFA, but you pay for 'em.

You can shoot anything compatible with either a post-WW2 Colt SAA or the Ruger New Vaquero. Which means basically 20,000psi, maybe a hair over, never more than 22,000psi. That leaves you with 200gr jacketed at 1,100fps, 255gr hardcast lead at 1,000fps, 250gr JHP at 950ish. The Silvertips are well within this range and a respectable defense/hunting load.

What else...ah:

* The single best 45LC defense load on the planet today, in my opinion, is the Speer 250gr Gold Dot "giant hollowpoint from hell". They took the same concept as the 135gr 38+P slug and scaled it WAY up. Even in your barrel length it should stay subsonic and it is possibly the most deadly subsonic defense load made in any caliber. It's a flying freakshow .

* Your barrel is on the long side, which is good. But it also means you'll be punching loads faster than usual, and might turn some into supersonics (past 1,050fps more or less). One of the more common 45LC defense loads is the Speer Gold Dot 200gr slug loaded mild in "Blazer" aluminum cases and boxes; it's also relatively cheap. It'll do 850fps from a 4.75" barrel, should be barely subsonic in your gun and would make a fine choice for personal defense...not as good as the Speer-label 250 but it's cheaper and much easier to find.

Finally, while the Ubertis of late have a "safety" mounted on the hammer, it should not be trusted carried with the hammer down on a live round. Your gun should be carried "five up" like a real Colt SAA, which means "half cock, load one, skip one, load four, cock it all the way, carefully lower the hammer". That should put the hammer on the empty chamber - visually check though!!!
Old August 8, 2009, 12:44 PM   #11
Shooter_454

Thanks alot Jim,I looked at the 22 at sportman guide it looks neat and i may look into getting that.I will be going to the range to try this baby out monday i will post a range report using the winchester cowboy loads.
Old August 10, 2009, 08:15 PM   #12
Shooter_454

Went to the range today and got to shoot a few rounds out of the uberti 45 colt.I Like this firearm alot its a very well made one to boot.I shot off rest at 20 to 80yds with great results.I only shot 40 rds though it as it started to storm on my range day,I would say anyone looking to get into cowboy shooting or just having fun with a 45 colt a uberti is a very nice one to start with.Now to learn how to reload .

Thanks for all the info you all gave.
Old August 10, 2009, 08:22 PM   #13
Gun 4 Fun

The Uberti is basically the same gun as the Beretta Stampede, since Beretta owns Uberti. That is one of the reasons for their decent quality.
Old August 10, 2009, 08:35 PM   #14
Hawg

Quote:
Also this is the old style with firing pin on the hammer and i belive a black powder frame.
Yes it is a bp frame. The only difference is yours has a screw going in at an angle under the cylinder pin to retain it. A smokeless frame has a spring loaded cross pin retaining the cylinder pin..
Old August 10, 2009, 08:43 PM   #15
Shooter_454

I read somewhere that they changed the blackpowder frame in the 1890's to the new style that is still used today.The 45 colt somehow took me back to the 1870's lol i'm really interested in getting into reloading now
Old August 10, 2009, 09:54 PM   #16
Jim March

Does everybody understand that in Ubertis, the "black powder frame" is just a cosmetic thing and doesn't indicate how strong the gun is?

In a Colt, they updated the strength of the gun at the same time they switched out the base pin retainer, letting you see at a glance how strong the frame is. In an Uberti, you can fire the same smokeless rounds through the "black powder frame" no sweat.

(The older system is in some ways better as you can eliminate base pin jump with just a screwdriver.)
Old August 10, 2009, 10:06 PM   #17
Shooter_454

Yes i do,its just for looks or a style from that era,i like the old style for this one myself,i shoot alot of 22's from my single six with the newer style pin which is neat that they come up with that in the 1890's and still used today.
Old August 11, 2009, 06:11 AM   #18
Uncle Buck

Shooter 454 - Please be aware that if you live in Missouri, your spent brass is not re-loadable. Being the nice guy I am, I am willing to take all the spent brass you have for this wonderful revolver off your hands.
Of course, if you live elsewhere, please check with the re-loaders in your state and see if anyone would be willing to be as generous as I am.

Seriously though, that is a fine looking revolver and I think I might just have to go about trying to acquire one for myself. Congratulations on such a nice purchase.
Old August 11, 2009, 06:50 AM   #19
Chesster

I have an Uberti in .38/40 and a dual cylindered .44S-.44/40. Both are good shooters but I avoid trying to magnumize in these frames.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old August 11, 2009, 07:04 AM   #20
rickyjames

"do you all load with 6 or 5 the john wayne load,one in skip one then four.Also this is the old style with firing pin on the hammer"

i have 3 uberti western revolvers and i load em the old way like JW for carry or storage. when i'm out in the field or at the range then load all 6.

btw, congrats you have a fine gun. i have 2 uberti cattleman and 1 thunderer in 45 lc and they are my favorite revolvers by far and surprisingly accurate for having just notch sights.
Old August 11, 2009, 07:50 PM   #21
breed

i ordered 45acp cylinders for my 45lc. they are fun to shot and a lot cheaper. you can change the cylinder out in a few seconds. and switch back and forth.a 45acp cylinder for your gun can be had for about $100.
Old August 11, 2009, 10:26 PM   #22
Shooter_454

Breed where did you order it from?Is your 45 a uberti?

Another ? How do i take the grips off of my uberti and the trigger pull seem to be really light maybe 2 lb or so......Its really to light for me as i got a chance to shoot it again today and didn't care much for the light trigger, how do i go about making it a bit heavier.
Old August 11, 2009, 10:45 PM   #23
breed

i ordered the one for my uberti from brownells. stock number 935-000-252. price $127.81. if you look around they can be had for $90 to $100. but at the time i ordered mine they were the only one's to have it in stock.
Old August 11, 2009, 10:53 PM   #24
breed

as for the grip. take the two screw's out of the top of the back strap. and the one on the bottom. and it should pull right off.
Old August 11, 2009, 11:15 PM   #25
Shooter_454

Thanks breed i looked at the 45 acp at brownells there sold out,where can i found one besides brownells?I got the grip off guessing the main spring needs tweaking for a heavier trigger pull,i think i'm going to take it to my smith.I have built lots of 1911's but revolvers are a new game for me.

Last edited by Shooter_454; August 11, 2009 at 11:22 PM.