The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 1, 2008, 07:46 PM   #1
60's Refugee

.45 LC in a .44 Remington

I'm thinking of getting a conversion cylinder for my 1858 Remington. I have found one (R&D) that is chambered for .45 Long Colt. I like this style cylinder since I don't want to modify the revolver beyond swapping the cylinders. The schpeel says that it is for a .44 Pietta repro 1858. Is the .45 too big for a .44 barrel? When I use ball bullets the chamber cuts off the excess diameter when I load. Would hate to find out the hard way!

Harry
Old October 1, 2008, 08:14 PM   #2
Jim Watson

A .44 cap and ball revolver has a large enough groove diameter for a .452" bullet as loaded in .45 Colt.
Old October 1, 2008, 08:18 PM   #3
LHB1

Old October 1, 2008, 08:44 PM   #4
Raider2000

Jim answered your question & is right .44 caliber C&B Revolvers Bore Grove diameter is .449 - .454 depending on Brand & model so it will shoot a .45Colt round quite nicely but since you haven't mentioned this I figured I'd mention it.

Those Conversion cylinders are made to be used in a Steel Framed revolver not a Brass framed one so if your revolver's frame is made of steel it will work very nicely & will last a life time, if they are used in a Brass framed revolver the higher pressures can shorten the life of the revolver
Old October 1, 2008, 09:35 PM   #5
w_houle

I don't know about the Remington conversion cylinder, but SAAMI spec. ammunition has an OAL that is slightly too long for the 1851 and the 1860 conversion cylinder. SAAMI spec. is 1.6" and Pietta can take 1.58" and Uberti 1.53". All of the .45 conversion cylinders should be able to fire .45 Schofield.
Old October 1, 2008, 11:02 PM   #6
60's Refugee

Actually, I have two! One is an older 1972 vintage Navy Arms 1858 Remington New Army and the other is a new Pietta 1858 model. Both are steel framed. I had such good luck with the old one, and fired it so many weekends that I have nearly worn it out. That's why I got the new one. So far it's been a great shooter. I've been using combustable paper cartridges mostly, but want to try metallic cartridges for once. Of course, I've seen "Pale Rider" many times!

Guess I hafta say that if R&D says it (.45 LC) will work then it must be so. However, at $240 per cylinder I won't get too many spare ones!

Harry
Old October 2, 2008, 04:25 AM   #7
Raider2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60's Refugee
Actually, I have two! One is an older 1972 vintage Navy Arms 1858 Remington New Army and the other is a new Pietta 1858 model. Both are steel framed. I had such good luck with the old one, and fired it so many weekends that I have nearly worn it out. That's why I got the new one. So far it's been a great shooter. I've been using combustable paper cartridges mostly, but want to try metallic cartridges for once. Of course, I've seen "Pale Rider" many times!

Guess I hafta say that if R&D says it (.45 LC) will work then it must be so. However, at $240 per cylinder I won't get too many spare ones!

Harry
I know what you mean, I haven't bought one yet but will probably splurge on one as a Christmas Present for my self.

Just remember that they are intended to be used with Cowboy action loads or pressures.
Old October 2, 2008, 08:22 AM   #8
noelf2

The funny thing is that the calibers are so skewed. The round balls I buy for my kentucky rifle say "45 Cal" on the box but they are actually .44 caliber. The round balls I buy for my 58 remi say "44 Cal" on the box but are actually .451 caliber (I also use .457). Kinda backwards, but I accept it now.

I have an R&D cylinder for my Pietta 58 remi. It's great. I also reload my own cowboy ammo for it.
Old October 17, 2008, 08:50 AM   #9
60's Refugee

Just thought I'd let you fellers in on the results of my new .45 LC cylinder. Short version...GREAT! Fantastic! etc. etc. I've fired 200 rounds of comboy ammo through it in two weeks. The weapon fires with the same gentle kick as BP loads, isn't so loud that you need earmuffs (but I still use 'em), and is suprising easy to load.

It's in my newer Pietta Remington New Army .44. It needed no modification and just slips right in. The only shortcoming is that the empty shells don't fall right out. I need to push two or three of 'em out with a short rod. No big deal, at it doesn't matter which cylinder either, they all seem to stick. Probably the casings are the issue.

Well, anyhow, these cylinders cost about $240 each and I think they are well worth the money. Bought it from Fall Creek Suttlers in Lebanon Indiana. These are available for Uberties too, but I'm not sure about the older Navy Arms model.

Harry.

Harry
Old October 17, 2008, 11:15 AM   #10
noelf2

60's - I am just as pleased with mine. Shoots very well in my remi. Thing is that my current remi shoots the cap and ball even better (once I figured out the perfect load for it). So, a couple of days ago I ordered a steel frame 1858 remi target model (adjustable sights) that my R&D cylinder will live in, and my older remi will have an extra cap and ball cylinder to play with.

Raider - I bet all this talk about the 45LC cylinders is going to cost you some $$ very soon...
Old October 17, 2008, 11:30 AM   #11
grymster2007

I've had fun with my conversion cylinder and think it right handy to have also, but shootin' the holy black seems to be more fun. Soon I'll be trying some conicals out of my Pietta.
Old October 17, 2008, 11:36 AM   #12
noelf2

Quote:
shootin' the holy black seems to be more fun
You are right grymster! And I load 36 grains of the most holy fffg bp in a 45LC cartridge, pushed down by a 250 grain lead round nosed boolit. That's my cowboy cartridge load. Same boom, same smoke, same thrill. More fun when ya roll yer own.

Last edited by noelf2; October 17, 2008 at 12:18 PM.