The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 15, 2000, 10:04 PM   #1
guerilla1138

on a .22 lr ranger m34(sold by sears and roebuck).
i have never done this kind of thing before, but have several gunsmithing books here.
any tips you all can give me would be appreciated.
thanks much.

------------------
while u are burying your head in the sand i will be out doing something about the problem, excuse me if i tramp upon your skull.
Old September 16, 2000, 07:30 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Guerilla, this is of course best done in a lathe but you can do a good job with a hacksaw. Cut the barrel as straight as possible. Some folks score the barrel first with a pipe cutter. After it's cut you want to file it flat at 90 degrees to the bore. You can chamber the outside edge if you like for cosmetics. Then take a round head brass screw, mount it in a hand drill, cover it with a fine abrasive and crown the barrel. This gets rid of any burrs at the muzzle. George
Old September 16, 2000, 03:37 PM   #3
Badger Arms

I use one or two of those spring clamps and put the barrel in a Miter Box. I then use a hacksaw. Make sure the barrel is not tapered at any point of contact with the miter box. If it is, use sheets of paper to shim it up so that your cut is square. As for the crown, George's idea works great.

For squaring the muzzle, I put a thick stack of rags on the floor and a piece of sandpaper in the middle of the rags and then spin the barrel between my hands like you're rubbing them together to warm them. This and progressively finer sandpaper will put a good finish on the muzzle. Follow this up with a final run using a paper bag instead of Sandpaper. This polishes really well. It is really important that you hold the paper down so it doesn't wrap around and scratch the side of the barrel while you twist.
The 'firestarter' method of cleaning up the barrel has the effect of cancelling filing errors while producing quick results. The Miter Box is a good, cheap way of ensuring a near perfect 90 degree cut. Hope this helps.

------------------
God made us in his own image.
Thomas Jefferson made us free.
John Browning made us equal.

Without Browning, we might not know about the other two...