The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 23, 2005, 03:32 PM   #1
payne

Headed to NO, Take gun or not!

I'm leaving on Thursday to go to New Orleans. A group of about 25 senior nursing students and 5 instructors are heading down there on Thursday at 12:30 or so. We're going to a nursing home where people are at and need medical attention. We'll be assessing patients and helping treat them. I know there have been the weapons confiscation going on. I have a AL CC permit that is valid in Louisana. I figure I would carry it in a fanny pack or somethin' I would put it in a seperate compartment. I would also be able to carry my supplies and scissors and all my nursing crap I need. It would literally never leave my body for the 3 days I would be down there. I would only be able to take one shower there and sponge bathe myself the other days probably. They have a secured area to put med equipment. i would put my pack there when takeing a 2 minute shower. Anyway, to the point. What do ya'll think about me taking the small pistol? I will be one of 3 guys on the trip, the rest females. The other two guys are kinda feminine too. So, i see a real potential for someone trying to take advantage of a bus full of women and one guy that are carrying food and med supplies; some gas probably too. My fiance' wants me to carry it. i want to also. But I'm worried about having my gun taken from me when I get down there if somehow, someone should find out. That's even though I'm legal. What would you do?
Old September 23, 2005, 03:38 PM   #2
swmike

If you are legal then why would anyone legally try and take it. You may run into some issues with the "sponsoring group" Most seem to have phobias when it comes to weapons, even though they might benefit someday from the presence of one.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old September 23, 2005, 03:41 PM   #3
Russ5924

I would, like the saying goes "better safe than sorry" An try to make it a small gun with a big hole in the front.Good Luck!
Old September 23, 2005, 04:08 PM   #4
blackmind

I would surely take it.

If it gets confiscated, you can join the lawsuit that NRA is running against the authorities in New Orleans.

If you need it, it will be there for you.

At this point, I think that anyone challenged by a "sponsoring group" about bringing a firearm for personal defense should look the person from such a group in the eye and tell them that they must be INSANE, or just IGNORANT, because everyone with a brain understands that personal defense down there right now is the individual responsibility of any given individual person.

How anyone could suggest that they think guns have no place down there with people coming in to give assistance is beyond comprehension. If I were volunteering with the Red Cross or something and they said, "Oh, by the way, do not bring a gun with you," I'd tell them to go to hell and get someone nice and stupid and naive to do their helping.

-blackmind
Old September 23, 2005, 06:00 PM   #5
Pointer

Isn't this the kind of thing you bought the gun for?
Old September 23, 2005, 06:21 PM   #6
HS

Can I suggest the obvious....
Use a pay phone & make a coupla calls to relevant authorities to seek permission/their technical views. Just say that your part of the relief effort and have the neccessary permit. Of course that way you remain anonymous.
Couldn't hurt? <shrugz> shoulders

Unfortunately everyone has an opinion [q] ME [/q]
"The Gun from Down Under !"
Gordon Cross Brisbane Australia
[email protected]
ICQ # 68806935
Old September 24, 2005, 10:39 AM   #7
markwf

Does anyone know of any sponsoring groups that are gun friendly or gun neutral?

"To clarify - any major relief groups, which are at least gun neutral, that would be looking for people to volunteer down South after the hurricanes. Or am I being very naive?"

Last edited by markwf; September 25, 2005 at 08:24 AM.
Old September 24, 2005, 11:41 AM   #8
BerettaCougar

on the pinkpistols (gay progun group) website they have a list of pro gun companies as well as anti ones.
Old September 24, 2005, 12:01 PM   #9
Wraith

Never take a gun into a dangerous situation.

Just be wise about it. Find out if they are patting people down before you enter.

Never Forget 9/11.

Cold dead hands...
Old September 24, 2005, 12:09 PM   #10
chris in va

If you do, take the cheapest gun you have.
Old September 24, 2005, 05:03 PM   #11
payne

Guess that means to take the walther P22.
Old September 24, 2005, 08:17 PM   #12
hkg3

I think of my gun like the American Express Card. Never leave home without it.
Old September 25, 2005, 07:03 PM   #13
M1911

I'm headed to New Orleans on Friday. I'll be taking a gun with me -- one that I can replace easily if it gets confiscated (Glock).
Old September 28, 2005, 09:09 PM   #14
Dog Confetti

If your organization doesn't have a problem with it, then yes. It's actually pretty tame around there now (I just got back on the 21'st)...there's more military and cops running around (for better or worse) than they know what to do with.
Old September 29, 2005, 03:39 PM   #15
MeekAndMild

According to packing.org Louisiana has reciprocity to Alabama. http://www.packing.org/state/louisiana/ One might take a serious look at the Louisiana list of "gun free crime zones", but at first glance I didn't see "nursing homes" jump out at me.

Here the question is always "Is this a real ccw which disappears into the pocket or one of the huge pistols that a lot of us like to drag to the range but only a very fat man with loose clothes could actually carry concealed?"
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old September 29, 2005, 08:47 PM   #16
Redondo

I KNOW a guy, very WELL, that would be dead today, back in 1991, except he was ignorant of Oakland, CA laws, or was it, he decided ignoring the law was better than being a victim?