The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 28, 2017, 07:13 AM   #26
larryh1108

Quote:
Another employee walks over looks at the gun and the invoice and says something like, “man for that amount of money I could have bought a bunch of guns”. Can’t say I was really offend and wanted to cry, but then again it didn’t seem very professional to ridicule your customers.
IMO, This doesn't sound like ridicule for the price you paid. If the price of your purchase was $1200 and the employee likes $300 guns (or prefers the bargain basement variety) then he was right, he could get 3 or 4 guns for that price.

To me, ridicule would be telling you that you got hosed paying that much for that gun or the gun you purchased was a POS. That would be rude and totally out of line.
Old May 28, 2017, 07:33 AM   #27
FITASC

Quote:
When we buy online typically we think of them as tax free.. small ticket items generally are not enforced..small ticket being anything other then say vehicles, and such.
They are not tax-free unless you live in a state with no sales tax - the "use tax", miraculously, is the same as the sales tax and you are supposed to voluntarily remit that to your state treasury. Since it is almost impossible to enforce on the receiving end, some states have passed laws requiring the collection of said tax by the online vendor. They are doing their best to quash competition and drive internet retailers out of business while trying to max out their intake of OPM. (Other People's Money)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 28, 2017, 09:50 AM   #28
JoeSixpack

Ya I already stated that.

Quote:
However if the business does not have a presence they do not collect the sales tax (for their home state) and the burden shifts to the buyer to pay the tax (use tax) to their state in good faith, but again enforcement is usually nill because any individual transaction is usually to small to track and collect.
Im no expert on tax law but I did not think out of state businesses could collect tax from out customers in states they don't have a physical presence.

which states are doing this?
Old May 28, 2017, 10:40 AM   #29
FITASC

Some have started trying to collect on internet sales; they figured they were losing too much on Amazon sales.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 28, 2017, 11:15 AM   #30
Berserker

I have heard, that it is still up to you to put the tax on tax return, but FFL is scared of government. Dunno.

As far as ridicule, men need to be men again. Unless he tells you it was a stupid purchase, take it as back handed complement. It's true. But lucky you, you can afford it. Which might be what a man would say. Or I put the hours in, or if you had to do my job, you would splurge. Those are things men say.

One time bought, $220 model 10, wanted cheap gun, it had been refinished. Young guy says how bad it loojed, I said I didn't think was awful. He says, I do. That was rude, but I got over it. I haven't seen him in awhile either.

One place I go has lots of high end guns. They would not have batted an eye, at your bargain gun.