The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 11, 2015, 11:09 PM   #1
dwwright

Rossi 62 .22 pump extractor fix

About a year ago I bought a Rossi 62 SAC .22 pump from a co-worker. He had the gun as a kid and it had never been cleaned, so we agreed on $50 and it was mine.

I gave it a good cleaning and took it to the range the next weekend. I found that about every 3rd round would FTE, which is a real pain as it's a break-down model. It would have the stuck casing in the camber, a new round in the elevator blocking the chamber. So the only way to remove the stuck casing was to break the gun in half, which allowed all the other rounds in the tube magazine to shoot out on the table.

I determined that the extractor was worn and have spent the last year off and on searching for a replacement with no luck, everywhere is sold out. Well, remembering that the gun is a Winchester 62 clone, I decided to do a search for a replacement extractor for it. I found one here (http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/2...hester_62A.htm) and for the $26 figured I'd take a chance that they are the same.

I got the extractor today and in comparison they were the same, so I installed it. Turned out to have the same issue, maybe even worse as it wasn't even touching the casing. So after some inspection I decided to remove some of the material from the inner flat between the hook and pin hole on the extractor itself. This is where it rests against the bolt, so removing material there would allow the hook to move closer to the casing head.

It started out about .080" thick, at about .065" it was working really well, so it looks like I may have been able to solve this issue by doing the same to the old extractor, but at least I have a spare now.

Anyway Hope this helps anyone else trying to fix this issue with theirs or is looking for parts.
Old March 12, 2015, 12:06 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

If you ever have to fit another extractor, order the Wisner's Winchester 62A extractor. It's profiled differently and heat-treated better.

It's a drop-in fit for the Rossi 62A/SA/SAC breech bolt. You just have to profile the extractor claw to make it extract properly.

I needed an extractor to fix a Rossi 62SA a few years ago, and the Wisner's part was the best fit.
I ordered two, at the time, because this rifle had such a bad reputation for annihilating extractors**. But, the Wisner's part has held up very well. So, I have a spare for my own 62 SAC Gallery (blued).

**(The 62SA had actually been declared a "lost cause" by several gunsmiths that lost money because they couldn't get various Winchester 62A extractors to work. But, as I discovered, they were all idiots. Rather that assessing the overall action, they were focused on the extractor. The primary problem with that rifle was actually a Bubba'd trigger and trigger pin that a home gunsmith had screwed with, modifying the timing of the cartridge elevator. Once I replaced the trigger and trigger pin with an oversized Winchester replacement part, it functioned properly and the extractor was a piece of cake to tune.)
Old March 14, 2015, 09:58 AM   #3
dwwright

Nice, thanks FrankenMauser!

Tags
extractor , rossi 62 sa