The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2014, 03:19 PM   #1
Southern Shooter

HS-6 vs Unique in .45 Colt Perceived Recoil

In an article http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=12, John Linebaugh indicated one of the loads he used for his S&W 25-5 in .45 Colt is 13 grains of HS-6, a 260 grain Keith boolit, for a velocity of 925 FPS. In my S&W 625 .45 Colt I am loading 9 grains of Unique, a 270 grain RFN boolit, for a velocity of 929 FPS.

Is there any perceived difference in the recoil between the two?

Would there be a reason to use one powder over the other?

Thanks
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley
Old January 21, 2014, 05:40 PM   #2
Real Gun

HS-6 measures very nicely. Unique has mixed reviews but a bit of a reputation for being problematic in some progressive powder measures.
Old January 21, 2014, 08:44 PM   #3
GeauxTide

Recoil is derived from the bullet weight, velocity, and weight of the gun. The heavier bullet will recoil more at the same velocity given same gun weight.

I've seen some complaints about Unique, but I've used it for 44 years with great results in 357, 41, 44mag, 45acp, and 45LC.
Old January 21, 2014, 09:20 PM   #4
Snyper

Quote:
Recoil is derived from the bullet weight, velocity, and weight of the gun.
You also have to count the weight of the powder

Quote:
Is there any perceived difference in the recoil between the two?
There's an ACTUAL difference.

Whether or not you will "perceive" it is subjective

Using an arbitrary 2 lbs for gun weight, the 260 gr bullet produces 14.41 ft/lbs of recoil, while the 270 gr produces 13.61 ft/lbs

Actual figures will depend on the gun weight, but the relative DIFFERENCE will remain the same

Quote:
The heavier bullet will recoil more at the same velocity given same gun weight.
The 4 grains of powder difference makes the heavier, faster load have LESS actual recoil although it's only 0.8 ft/lbs with the gun weight i used

I used this for my calculations:
http://huntingnut.com/index.php?name=PointBlank
Old January 21, 2014, 09:29 PM   #5
Mike / Tx

I use them both with the same bullets and personally I favor the HS-6 loads.

Either one loaded up under a cast bullet from 230grains through 280 grains is more accurate than I am from my Redhawk. The biggest difference I see is less smoke from the HS-6 loads.
Old January 21, 2014, 09:44 PM   #6
Nick_C_S

I've been shooting for years n years n years, and I can't tell any difference in recoil based on the powder used.

I get that the burning propellant has thrust when the bullet leaves the barrel and so it contributes to recoil. But it seems to me, somewhere around 99% of the recoil is derived from the bullet leaving the barrel; and the remainder must be "propellant thrust." And the difference between one powder and another can't be significant.

I'm basing this on the some-odd quarter-million rounds I've discharged. Nothing laboratory scientific - just real life.
Old January 22, 2014, 02:14 AM   #7
Snyper

Quote:
I've been shooting for years n years n years, and I can't tell any difference in recoil based on the powder used.
Most won't FEEL the difference, but it's there and it can be measured.

Almost everyone forgets to add the weight of the powder to the weight of the projectile

"Perceived" recoil will change from person to person, even with the same loads in the same firearms.

Last edited by Snyper; January 22, 2014 at 02:19 AM.
Old January 22, 2014, 09:11 AM   #8
mnoirot64

It may just be in my mind, but I do notice a difference with some powders. SR7625 45 ACP loads, loaded near the upper safe limits have less "felt" recoil for me than powders such as Power Pistol, Unique and Longshot - all loaded near the upper end. While highly unscientific, I definitely felt a difference - and my Chrony showed way more velocity with PP, Unique and Longshot. FWIW, I've never hand loaded 45 ACP with HS-6.
Old January 22, 2014, 05:21 PM   #9
Nick_C_S

45ACP & HS-6

Quote:
I've never hand loaded 45 ACP with HS-6.
I have. Extensively.

It's a great propellant for 45 ACP. It has kind of a narrow "sweet spot," so it works best when it's loaded up pretty good - typically, about 3/4 of the way up the manual's scale. At which point, it runs very clean and consistent.

It has a linear pressure curve, so it is well behaved when working up loads. And that makes it a great powder to work with - especially for novice loaders.

It may not deliver the velocities of Power Pistol, but I think it makes up for it in linear predictability and consistency.

(Sorry that was outside the scope of this thread.)
Old January 22, 2014, 05:40 PM   #10
WESHOOT2

I prefer the 'feel' from HS6.

Look here: http://pennbullets.com/Testimonials/testimonials.html under "Penn Bullets Discussion on 1911 Forum"