The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 21, 2012, 01:59 PM   #1
cmdc

Gun safe question

I live on the Gulf in FL, and need a gun safe. I am wondering if it is advisable to put one in my garage. I don't really have any place to put one in the house proper, other than a room on the second story, and I don't think I can get a safe up the stairs.
Old May 21, 2012, 02:02 PM   #2
wildfan

You can get climate controlled safes

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
Old May 21, 2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Pahoo

Can do !!

Quote:
I don't think I can get a safe up the stairs.
A friend of mine, sells Fort Knox safes and sometimes her calls me to help move and watch his station at gun shows. You would be surprised where he moves safes. Some, I would not tackle. He has a combination of movers and wastes little time moving them in. .....

That said, we have also spotted a few, in garages and there is nothing wrong with that. Humidity "can" be a problem but this too can be addressed if you plan ahead. I'm not aware of any serious problems with these ....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 21, 2012, 02:43 PM   #4
BarryLee

Quote:
You would be surprised where he moves safes
Yes, they have machines that actual climb stairs with a heavy load strapped on the back it’s pretty cool. So, if the safe will fit and the floor will support it there are movers that can get it in there.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 21, 2012, 02:46 PM   #5
Te Anau

The safe should be fine in your garage,but you MUST use a Dri-Rod or similar to prevent rust.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...rch-0009435082
Old May 21, 2012, 03:00 PM   #6
cmdc

Thanks, guys. Now, as to safes in general, are Champion safes good? That's the brand at the shop I frequent. If not, what would you recommend?
Old May 21, 2012, 09:22 PM   #7
Misssissippi Dave

The Champion brand seems to be a good safe. Like any gun safe it won't stop a good safe man from getting in one. The average thief is going to have a problem. Remember to anchor it to the floor if you put it in the garage and since most garages are not climate controlled you will need to a golden rod or similar device to reduce humidity. The store should have solutions to control humidity as well. I prefer to have as much metal in the door and sides as possible. A safe people don't or can't easily see will probably have the greatest chance of never being attacked.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:44 PM   #8
Savage99

You can get a Snap Safe or Zanotti safe up the stairs in pieces.

http://www.snapsafe.com/

Old May 22, 2012, 10:30 AM   #9
darkroommike

safer location

If the location you have proposed for your safe in the garage has a line of sight to the street, anyone driving by when the garage door is up can see the safe. All in all I don't think a safe in the garage is a safe location for your safe. Crash the garage door with a pickup, throw a tow line around the safe to break the anchor bolts and load safe and contents into their truck and drive away.

How do I knw this will work? A place I worked was ripped off by a guy that used steel cable to yank the back door off the store after hours and then loaded the store contents into his truck before the police arrived. Store was located in a mall, back door was on an inside corridor(!), so the crooks had to yank two doors. Still got away before the police could respond to the alarm.
Old May 22, 2012, 11:14 AM   #10
Te Anau

Quote:
If the location you have proposed for your safe in the garage has a line of sight to the street, anyone driving by when the garage door is up can see the safe.
Good point,one should make the extra effort to conceal a garage safe from casual passersby.Cardboard,plastic tubs,a comforter...whatever.