The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old May 25, 2009, 08:13 PM   #26
Jim Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiokol
Noskov,

You can track it. Next time you are checking on one, once you get the status page, click on the additional information link.
Not exactly. USPS Delivery Confirmation doesn't give the semi-real time tracking data like UPS or Federal Express. Its use is primarily to confirm delivery of an item. Sometimes the data is fairly detailed from start to finish, other times it's just an indication of an item presented for mailing and its final delivery. I've had two items within the past two weeks that were like that and I've sent beaucoup items to the same person recently with similar results. At any rate, it -- USPS Delivery Confirmation -- isn't a consistent or reliable means of tracking an item.
Old May 25, 2009, 08:44 PM   #27
sinister1811

Go back and READ the posts regarding the U.S. Postal Inspection Service.

Postal authorities aren't going to do a thing. We've already established that.

No guns were "stolen" either. Please point out where one was stolen in this little saga.

By not receiving something he paid for it is a theft. A theft is permanently depriving the owner of the item. He paid for it so he is now the owner of that item. By not shipping it, he is permanently depriving the owner of his goods, thereby being a theft. The theft of a firearm is a felony. If he can determine the weapon was shipped and was stolen from the mail, maybe the mailman is involved. The Postal Service Office of Inspector General would be interested. If the mailman was not involved but it was stolen from the mail, the Postal Inspectors would get involved. Would they be the lead investigating agency, probably not. However, they probably would work with the locals on the investigation.

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; May 26, 2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: removal of inflammatory remarks from the quoted excerpt
Old May 25, 2009, 08:59 PM   #28
Jim Dandy

Decide how much of a priority $350 is to the government's various law enforcement agencies. TRY to put together the cost of man hours and expenses to investigate and prosecute a case.

Secondly, what proof is there that a crime has been committed? Has any evidence or other proof been presented at this point outside of a single person's written claim? Do you see it ANYWHERE? ANYONE?

(FYI, based on the dollar amount claimed, this is misdemeanor embezzlement in most states. Even a successful prosecution doesn't guarantee recovery of the funds or property.)

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; May 26, 2009 at 06:33 PM. Reason: removal of inflammatory remarks
Old May 25, 2009, 09:06 PM   #29
Coyote Hitman

Quote:
your best bet is to call the local LEO in the city you sent it to,that will get you the maximum attention you can expect in this situation.
This is good advice. Also, see if the seller's state has a consumer protection division. I contacted these guys and the man was an absolute pitbull who seemed to take my loss personally.
Old May 25, 2009, 09:12 PM   #30
Jim Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote Hitman
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkcdl
your best bet is to call the local LEO in the city you sent it to,that will get you the maximum attention you can expect in this situation.
This is good advice. Also, see if the seller's state has a consumer protection division. I contacted these guys and the man was an absolute pitbull who seemed to take my loss personally.
I don't put much faith in that either. Sometimes you can get a guy who wants people to play by the rules and other times you might be calling the seller's jackass brother-in-law. It's strictly a crap shoot.

There was an idiot who used to work with me who took a LOT of people for a LOT of money on eBay (look up username "justmeorlie"). There was only ONE -- a SINGLE person -- out of maybe 100 who obtained a successful prosecution in district court for misdemeanor embezzlement over $1500 paid for a Lincoln welder that was never delivered. And the guy was still out his $1500 when it was all said and done.
Old May 25, 2009, 09:24 PM   #31
Jim Dandy

Here's the case on this idiot who used to work with me: http://www.oscn.net/applications/oci...01&db=Canadian

A guilty plea two years ago and no refund. And guess what? Not prosecuted by the federal authorities either. That's called REALITY -- GET SOME.
Old May 26, 2009, 02:08 PM   #32
sinister1811

Well the point is he needs to contact someone in Law Enforcement. Doing nothing will get you nothing in return.
Old May 26, 2009, 03:09 PM   #33
Jim Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister1811
Well the point is he needs to contact someone in Law Enforcement. Doing nothing will get you nothing in return.
This is a VERY small matter to law enforcement authorities. VERY small. The chances of a prosecution or any of this actually occurring are between slim and none.

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; May 26, 2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: removal of inflammatory remarks
Old May 26, 2009, 06:22 PM   #34
Shane Tuttle
Staff

If anyone has or had an online GunBroker purchase from one Nathan Calhoun as well, then feel free to post here to contribute to the original intent of this thread.

If ANYONE makes another snide and/or off topic post, it will be deleted and PMs to follow. Want to argue cases regarding the Post Office, start up your own thread. Just make sure it's firearms related.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting