The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 7, 2000, 10:58 AM   #1
Ed Dixon

While retrieving my 870 barrel from a re-bluing, I asked the gunsmith if he had any advice for preventing rust in the future. Without hesitation he said butchers wax. He recommended a coat of butchers wax on external metal and light silicone on internal moving parts. He even said he'd follow the same regimen for regular short-term storage. Does anyone have any experience with or opinions on this method? It's not pretty-looking, but sometimes I don't get to the range for weeks at a time and I don't want any more rusty surprises when I do pull out a gun from my cabinet. At present my long guns are cleaned with solvent, coated with light oil, and put in silicone socks -- i.e., what I was raised with. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old September 7, 2000, 02:26 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Ed,

I've been using Johnson's Paste Wax on my blued guns for years with EXCEPTIONAL results.

Butcher's Block Wax and JPW both have the same thing in common, high concentrations of carnuba wax.

Carnuba forms a very tough barrier on the surface of the object which is much more resistant to fingerprints than oil. In fact, since oil floats on water, it is entirely possible for the trace amounts of salt that are deposited by a fingerprint to draw moisture, which then migrates down through the oil layer.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.
Old September 7, 2000, 07:45 PM   #3
GWN

Ed,
RIG (rust inhibiting grease) does an excellent job protecting external parts of blued metal and I think it even improves the appearance. I just wipe it on with a rag or sometimes my fingers and wipe off excess.