The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 3, 2002, 02:46 PM   #1
Zulu

NFA ownership in Miami

Due to a bad divorce and a year of unemployment I had to bankrupt a few months ago ( now discharged ) I am still not out of the water as my current job is not the highest paying out there.
I learned the lesson. Do not marry crazy women and do not included them or anyone in your cards !!! Do not cosign period.

My question is can a person with a previous discharged bankruptcy own NFA items?

Does the CLEO sign off in Miami? Or is it corporation only ?

It will probably be a year or two before I am able to afford any NFA toys, but I guess I might as well find out before I get my hopes high.

Thanks in advance
Old July 3, 2002, 02:54 PM   #2
chetchat

The bankruptcy should have no bearing on your approval for NFA weapons. If you can legally possess any other firearm - i.e. pass the FDLE background call, no 4473 hiccups - then you should have no problem with NFA weapons.

As far as I know, getting a CLEO signoff in Miami is no-go - you'd have to go corporate.

Good luck!
Old July 3, 2002, 03:30 PM   #3
Zulu

Many thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to incorporate. Any good links on this or other NFA info?
Old July 3, 2002, 03:53 PM   #4
chetchat

Excellent NFA info here :

http://www.subguns.com/laws/laws.htm

These guys did my corporation :

http://www.accessincorp.com/
Old July 3, 2002, 05:59 PM   #5
Zulu

LLC or Corporation

Chetchat is an LLC simpler than a Corporation. I mean paperwise ? Also are they also allowed NFA items ? Lastly can it be a one person company?

Thanks again the sites are great.
Old July 3, 2002, 06:31 PM   #6
chetchat

Zulu, I have a "S" Corp - not sure about an LLC, if it's simpler or not. The folks at AccessInCorp would be able to help with that. Depending on what you're planning to do, you may want to consult a lawyer for tax, payroll, etc information.

I'm a one person corp, pretty simple and straightforward. The State even makes reregistering a snap, do it online with your credit card and have your updated papers with 3 working days.

Just remember : should the corp fold, you have to transfer or surrender the NFA weaps.

Here's another site, Florida Shooter's Network. Small but sincere little band of plinkers and shooters. Good group of folks, check it out and join up

http://pub49.ezboard.com/bfloridashootersnetwork
Old July 3, 2002, 11:29 PM   #7
Zulu

Many thanks will check that site out too.