The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 22, 2002, 07:23 PM   #1
jrhines

Webley Mk IV .38 production data

Anybody got the sn's & year for the Brit W&S Mk IV .38 wheel gun? Trying to deduce the year of manufacture for a new toy.

JR
Seneca, MD
Old November 22, 2002, 07:53 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Call for Jim Keenan! Call for Jim Keenan!

And you too Harley!
Old November 23, 2002, 06:08 AM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

jrhines:
Dont't have much on this one, but from Military Small Arms of the World.

This was the Webley design which had formed the basis of the Enfield No 2 pistol. Wartime demands were too much for the three factories making the Enfield revolver, and the Army bought supplies of this model from Webley & Scott. This model was the final version of the design which began in 1923. Externally is shows differences from the Enfield model in the shape of the hammer and in cylinder details. It had the Webley name impressed into the grips. the only internal difference was in the use of the original Webley lockwork instead of the Enfield modification. Although the official approval date is 10 Sept 1945, this is merely a matter of cleaning up the wartime paperwoek. They were actually brought into service early in 1942 and remained until declared obsolete in June 1963.

HJN
Old November 23, 2002, 10:28 AM   #4
jrhines

Many thanx Harley! The history and linage of the Mk IV is pretty easy to find from both the web and published books. But as of yet I can't find the production data that would tell me the year of manufacture of this particular gun. It has an all numerical sn, so it is pre-end-of-WWII, and it is stamped "WAR FINISH", so I suspect it was made in the early 40's, but I would like to track it down closer than that.
I would also like to locate a source of parts (NGP has none), as the cyl latch spring is broken. If I could get, at least, a detailed description of the spring, that would be great, as then I would make a replacement.
Old November 23, 2002, 11:17 AM   #5
BEARMAN

For disassembly info and maybe parts try [ www.marstar.ca ] go to reference .
Old November 27, 2002, 09:21 PM   #6
Old Fuff

Regarding the latch spring. I think the one made for the Enfield No. 2 revolver that copied much of Webley's design might work, or be made to work. Numrich supposedly has then for around $8.25.

I have a book on Webley's but it isn't where I am now. Be that as it may I don't think the company ever released that serial number information. I believe the "war finish" guns were made between 1940 - 1945.
Old November 28, 2002, 11:34 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have struck out on serial numbers and production data, though I found the same info others did. The Webley Mk IV may have been the "inspiration" for the Enfield revolver, but the latter is an entirely different gun, and if the latch spring interchanges, it would be the only part that does. I will take a look when I can get more time, which won't be until Monday and see if they are the same.

The Mk IV was a commercial and police gun before and after the war, while the Enfield was strictly military and made only on government contract. Webley was proud of the quality of their arms (though the design was hopelessly obsolete) and when forced to speed production and let quality lapse, they used the marking "WAR FINISH" to let users know that the guns were not typical of W&S production.

Jim