The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 20, 2021, 04:35 PM   #26
sevt_chevelle

Am 6'2 and about 170 lbs, I have NO problems carrying a PCR or MP9c at about my front pocket in a IWB kydex holster.

Had a P365 sold it real fast. Nice carry piece horrible gun to shoot and train with.

I'll give up size and weight every time for shootability and control.
Old April 20, 2021, 08:17 PM   #27
Kreyzhorse

I'm pretty impressed with the ergos on the SA Hellcat. Can't say much else as I just bought it, but it's thin, points well and has a great sight picture. It is also a
Springfield so it has a great company behind it.
Old April 20, 2021, 10:11 PM   #28
joe1347

Hellcat if you're looking for something that can fit in a pants pocket. I found adding a Hogue grip helped take out much of the snappiness, without adding too much bulk.

But the Hellcat is still tough to shoot well, as others have mentioned - the Glock 43X is easier to get on target. But it's a little too big for pocket carry.
Old April 21, 2021, 12:08 PM   #29
Desmosedici

Just got an e-mail from Springfield Armory this morning about this compact they have, the Springfield XD-M 3.8 Compact OSP.

Pretty svelte-looking package that has 14 round capacity. Doesn't appear to be a cannon, at least to me. I do not know if this is an improvement or not vis a vis the Hellcat you have experience with, but might be worth a look.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/x...t-9mm-handgun/
Old April 21, 2021, 03:12 PM   #30
sirgilligan

Glock 43x. I bought my wife one because it fit her hand, the slide was easy enough for her to rack. I took it to the range to break it in. I went and bought me one too!

These are the only two polymer handguns that I own and I really like them.
Old April 24, 2021, 01:00 PM   #31
chaim

Quote:
No mention of Glock 26?
I'm looking for something thinner. With the weight loss, my 1st gen M&P40c (roughly the size of a G26) conceals as well as my compact service pistols (P229, CZ PCR and P01) used to. It works when I have a cover garment. I want something thinner for the old role of that one (when I want to tuck or otherwise just want thinner and more concealable). Maybe, as I carry it more, I'll find ways to better conceal the M&P tucked and not feel like I look like I have a tumor, in which case I'll consider the G26 for a 9mm in that class (or maybe just always carry my .40).

A few people suggested I just go with my Pf-9. I've had it for about a decade, it has never been reliable enough for me to trust it. Maybe if I send it to Kel-tec (never bothered, I have other small guns, and the issues aren't quite consistent enough to bother) they could get it to where I can trust it. However, I still prefer 10 or more rounds minimum.

A few people wanted to debate round count. First, it is a personal choice, I won't say your choice is wrong for you, please don't say mine is wrong for me. Second, while most of the time (if you ever need it) just showing a gun is enough and you'll never need any rounds. Yet, for the fraction of self-defense uses of a handgun where you actually may need to shoot, everyone I know loads their guns (even though you'd shave a few ounces if you didn't). Well, in police shootings only about 1/3 of rounds hit. With a determined attacker (the kind who comes after you even after you produce a gun for instance), on average it takes 2-3 hits to stop the attack. So, it can easily take 6-9 rounds to stop just one attacker. If you are only carrying 6 rounds, good luck if you have multiple attackers. I want the gun with the largest capacity that I can reasonably carry. When I was just over 300LBS, that was the P229 and PCR/P01 much of the time and the M&P40c the rest of the time. Now with the weight loss, that is the M&P40c much of the time, but a smaller gun the rest of the time. Now that there are 10 round+ guns the size of the old 6-8 round micro-9s, that is what I want for best compromise between size/carryability and capacity.
Old April 24, 2021, 02:03 PM   #32
Rhodester

I am not an expert on firearms, all I can is congratulations on losing 100 lbs.
Old April 24, 2021, 03:08 PM   #33
FunGramps

I'd go for the Sig 365 -vs- SA Hellcat.
The 365 is made in the USA. The Hellcat in Croatia. Just the "Get off my lawn" kicking in.
Old April 24, 2021, 04:31 PM   #34
the duck of death

I lost 80lbs (and kept it off), now @ 140lbs--carry a Taurus G2c 9mm (stainless dark purple) or a Sig P365 (thumb safety)--mostly carry the Taurus--carry IWB--happy w/ both pistols.

Last edited by the duck of death; April 24, 2021 at 04:39 PM.
Old April 25, 2021, 10:28 PM   #35
makarov

Anyone have a Ruger Max 9? It would seem to fill his wishlist. I handled one at the LGS the other day. Seems solid. I like the tritium front sight. Also handled a Glock 43x. I liked both of them. Glock is slightly bigger.
Old April 25, 2021, 11:02 PM   #36
Bart Noir

I am in agreement with TunnelRat, and others.

Statistics say that you won't need to use a pistol. But if you do -

Statistics say that you won't be attacked by more than a single person. But if you do -

Statistics say that you won't need to do more than make a pistol visible before watching the attackers run away. But if you do -

Statistics say that you won't need to do more than fire a single round before watching the attackers run away. But if you do -

Statistics say that you won't need to do more than actually wound an attacker with a single shot before watching the attackers run or limp away.

Statistics say that you won't hit an attacker with even half the shots you fire.

--- So if you are actually shooting for the ultimate score (gunfight) you know damn well that the Statistics hate you. Do you want to trust your life to them? ---

Bart Noir
Old April 26, 2021, 07:05 AM   #37
Bfglowkey

The man stated what he was looking for and asked for opinions based on the outlined desires:

The Ruger as stated above is a contender. Seems to be garnering good props and based on the Security 9 ( which is a very respectable pistol, not pretty, not flashy but just good)

The Canik TP9SC also might be worth looking at. Canik's shoot and feel like Walthers. (they should, they are clones essentially) They fit good in the hand and surprise all who shoot them (myself included)

Sig is Sig...you would not be upset

Berretta has their SC APX which is a cosmetic love or hate nightmare, but it shoots good.

Hellcat...nuff said as all have mentioned.

Shield M&Ps...see Hellcat.

Sub compacts are a must shoot before purchase IMO. When it comes to carry there is ALOT going on that you do not want to realize when Perp 1 comes up to you asking to liberate your belongings. I have fired all the ones I mentioned above except for the Ruger...but I think i mentioned that ( have not touched the Glock so cant comment) and when I carry a SC it is the Canik that gets tucked into my belt. I am fortunate to live in Northern Maine where you can open carry and even better the need to is almost none existent. Thats my kind of living.
Old May 1, 2021, 01:23 PM   #38
chaim

Quote:
Anyone have a Ruger Max 9? It would seem to fill his wishlist.
It may go on my list, though the store didn't have any (it isn't yet on the MD approved list, too new). Since it isn't on the MD list, if I buy soon I can't even consider it. If I wait I'll take a look if it is MD legal by then (I will likely wait so I can get a good look at the Shield Plus,and wait for prices to get saner again).

Revisiting a couple older posts I didn't comment on...
Quote:
So if you ever want to pocket carry (I do every day... sucker for convenience), consider finding a Kahr CM9. I'm currently tempted to try a P365 for the capacity and shorter trigger travel, but I can't deny the accuracy of this thing. I have "Mag guts" in it, which takes it from 6+1 to 7+1. So 8 in my mind is pretty close to 10, I can't justify a switch yet while the prices of the new high capacity subcompacts are still so high.
I've always liked Kahrs. I've wanted a PM9 since they came out, but they were always priced just high enough that I went with something else. Since, for pocket carry, a little smaller/lighter is always better I may pick one up since my PF-9 never worked out for that (a Hellcat or P365 may conceal in a pocket with heavy material and large pockets, but with thinner material or smaller pockets, a smaller and/or lighter gun may be needed). For more extreme concealment needs I have my Ruger LCP (now that it has both a Hogue slip on grip to allow more time at the range, and a Crimson Trace laser to address its two weaknesses, I love the thing). However, I will continue to want something that can fit in most pockets that is also 9mm. The Hellcat or P365 should work with some of my pants, and be great for IWB, but I will still want something smaller for some needs. All that to say, the Kahr PM9 is still on my list to acquire, some day.

Quote:
If you just want a new gun, I understand. But you already own one of the very best CC carry weapons ever made. The PF9, is THE most convenient concealable handgun I know of. It is lighter, thinner, and 8 shots of 9mm
Forget everything else for a moment, the most important criteria for any defensive handgun is that it is reliable. I'm glad yours is, but if you read my post, you know, mine isn't. Since I haven't taken it to the range in years I took it yesterday. While it does fine with FMJ, I wasn't able to get through more than about 2 mags without a failure to feed using JHP (I shot a box of 50 Fiocchi 115gr JHP this time, though that is the same issue I had in the past with other JHPs as well). I've never shot it much (too thin and light to be comfortable plus unreliable equal a gun that isn't much fun to shoot). Maybe more rounds and it will "break in." Maybe the Kel Tec "fluff and buff" or polishing the feed ramp will do it. Maybe I can shoot off several hundred dollars of ammo, testing different brands of 9mm defensive ammo to find one or two brands that I can get through a few mags without a hiccup. Or, maybe I can sell it for more than I paid for it (given the current market), let someone else do that, and get a gun that is both reliable and has the capacity that I want (now that they are available in these smaller guns).

By the way, that hasn't soured me on Kel Tec. I knew what I was buying... a gun that is more likely than average to have trouble, but if it doesn't, it is a great bargain. I still might do the "fluff and buff" or at least polish the feed ramp. I wanted to like this gun, still want to. There are things I do like about it... For a long DAO trigger pull, the trigger really isn't bad (I shoot DA revolvers all the time). My 50 year old eyes really do appreciate the large, easy to see, front dot, much better than the front sight on even some larger guns. I do find myself often getting on Gunbroker to check out used P11s (I shot one years ago and liked it, there was one at the store when I got the Pf9 and I still wish I got the P11 instead).

Last edited by chaim; May 1, 2021 at 01:34 PM.
Old May 2, 2021, 02:31 AM   #39
Carl the Floor Walker

Personally I believe they all have to be test fired to find out which one you prefer. They DO NOT all shoot the same. Triggers are different, handling characteristics and grips etc. I also would not purchase a firearm Micro 9mm strictly because of the round count of a few more rounds. Not if there is a single stack that shoots better and has a more preferred trigger.
Imo the real world is that in a assault the first few rounds and just a few seconds at the most, will be the deciding factor of life or death. Get the gun that you are best suited for. Quick and fast fire accuracy that you can perform the best with. I always train and practice with the first three rounds as my goal. To draw fast and hit center mass. If you feel you need 10 rds then that is fine. I do not. In fact I seldom even carry a spare magazine.

PS One thing I did find that I personally like when testing the new Micro's was the fact that I like the streamlined grip of the Hellcat much better. The Slide lock is not sticking out and is recessed. For me it gave a much better grip. It is the only complaint I have against my Kahr. No need for these IMO.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; May 2, 2021 at 05:05 AM.
Old May 2, 2021, 05:23 AM   #40
Ed4032

Congratulations on loosing the weight. That’s done more towards saving your life than carrying a gun.

I vote that you get the Sig 365. Great gun. I semi retired all the rest when I got mine.
Old May 2, 2021, 10:07 PM   #41
hounddog409

I am not an overly large person. 6'0. 200 lbs.
My EDC is a S&W 9c.

Carry IWB, and have zero issues with just a t-shirt covering.

If you look like you have a tumor or it is really apparent, the problem is your holster, not the firearm.

Get a better holster. Much cheaper that a new gun
Old May 3, 2021, 07:22 AM   #42
CajunBass

I don't have a Ruger Max 9, but I do have a Security 9 compact that I like quite a bit. I don't carry it much anymore, I've dropped down to a Kimber Micro 380, but the Security 9 is a good one.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old May 3, 2021, 11:50 AM   #43
CDW4ME

OP - I'd prefer at least 10 rounds + a spare mag too.
Glock 26, Shield, Hellcat, Sig 365

Statistics do not factor into my carry.
Regardless of location (wherever/whenever) would I prefer this in hand to defend myself. Simple selection method.
The handgun that is carried in an area of greater "anticipated threat" is carried walking the dog in my nice area; preferred in hand is not reduced based on where I'm standing.
What about threat / risk assessment? Oh yea, I got that. Using one of the pistols you mentioned as the example.
I assess that if defending against a threat, regardless of location, I'd prefer at least Glock 26 in hand (+ a spare mag handy).

Actually for me its a Glock 23 but I personalized it for the OP.
Old May 4, 2021, 07:36 PM   #44
Rockhanger

43x you won't be disappointed !!
Old May 4, 2021, 07:51 PM   #45
Shadow9mm

We live in a great day and age where there are a TON of great gun options.

Honestly IMHO it comes down to personal preference. As long as it a reliable and dependable gun you get to choose the one you like better.

I suggest, if possible. you hit a range, get some rentals, and shoot all the ones you are interested in.

If that is not possible. See if you can at least look at and handle a couple and see how they feel in hand to you.

Bottom line, you got choices, get the gun that you like best. They are all excellent options.
Old May 6, 2021, 10:59 AM   #46
mrt949

SIG 365
Old May 6, 2021, 12:31 PM   #47
FunGramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Noir View Post

Statistics say that you won't be attacked by more than a single person. But if you do -

Statistics say that you won't need to do more than make a pistol visible before watching the attackers run away. But if you do -

Statistics say that you won't need to do more than fire a single round before watching the attackers run away. But if you do -

Statistics say that you won't need to do more than actually wound an attacker with a single shot before watching the attackers run or limp away.

Statistics say that you won't hit an attacker with even half the shots you fire.

--- So if you are actually shooting for the ultimate score (gunfight) you know damn well that the Statistics hate you. Do you want to trust your life to them? ---

Bart Noir
I've always been told that you never draw a weapon unless you intend to use it as soon as it's drawn. Any thoughts?
Old May 6, 2021, 04:52 PM   #48
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Noir View Post

Bart Noir
I live a normal life and YES I do trust to statistics in general. Statistics say that wearing a seat belt can save my life, so I go along with it. Statistics say that using a cell phone and text messaging is dangerous, so I do not. And on and on. Yes, I believe all the statistics I have seen of shooting in my area and also have observed the same in my city of 500.000 , that that statistics are right on. Never once read or heard of anyone needing more than three rounds at the most. Never heard of a shootout where anyone had to change magazines. In fact never ever met anyone in the many decades of firearm ownership that has. Yes, I know of Hunting accidents, I know of a few suicides, and even some self inflicted wounds.
I carry what is practical. Do practical training and Practice. Generally not afraid of lightening but do not go out where there is. If a person feels that he will die because he has only a practical firearm, then that is on them. And he can carry what every he likes. But do not push anti Statistics. If more rounds, or a bigger firearm give you "Peace of Mind" then just say that. No one will disparage you because of that. But telling everyone that statistics are just BS will not not help your point of view.
Old May 6, 2021, 05:55 PM   #49
shafter

I'd probably go with a Glock43X
Old May 6, 2021, 06:27 PM   #50
dgludwig

Quote:
I've always been told that you never draw a weapon unless you intend to use it as soon as it's drawn. Any thoughts?
Yes, for the most part but also be using your head at all times. One of countless examples that could be posed when the "rule" doesn't or shouldn't apply: A person has a gun pointed at you but, as you are in the process of clearing leather, he throws his gun down and throws his hands up.