The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old April 9, 2021, 10:54 PM   #26
Moonglum

About five years ago I decided I wanted to simplify my life. One of the things I decided to change was how I dressed. I went and bought 5 pairs of Wrangler Cargo pants and 5 camping shirts. I picked Wranglers because the phone pocket gave me a way to put my phone in the same place every time and because the cargo pockets were big enough to be useful without being too big. They actually worked so well I went out and bought 5 more pair in black for work.

I don't have to worry about what I'm going to wear. I grab the next set of clothes in my closet and roll.

Over the years I've noticed that wearing a uniform at work makes me anonymous. People notice the uniform, not me. I've actually run into client employees away from work and watched them try to figure out where they knew me from. I don't wear a uniform when I'm not at work but my clothes are similar enough that people really have no reason to to give me a second look. I'm a generic, middle aged, overweight, white guy in cargos and a fishing shirt. There are a million of me, nothing worth a moment's notice.

As for shoes, I have a 25 year old pair of Vasques hiking boots. They even have red shoe strings. Again, ubiquitous
Old April 9, 2021, 11:23 PM   #27
TunnelRat

I had one more thought about clothing and being memorable. In one course I took we did a scenario in a shoot house where there was a home invasion. Each student went through it separately, but we were all recorded and watched the results together at the end (honestly I found this a great idea that isn’t always done with scenario based training, but I learned just as much if not more watching others as I did going through it myself).

At the end of the scenario was an interview similar to that of a responding officer. Part of the point was to see the impact adrenaline might have had on our memories and why when giving a summary you want to be careful of making very definitive statements. We were asked to describe our attacker. All 12 or so of us could remember the color of the attacker’s shirt. No one could remember his pants and at best we had a rough idea of his height (the attacker’s face was under a helmet due to UTM pistols). Now this is different than just observing a person because when we saw the actor he was already a threat, but I was still a bit surprised at how tunnel vision we had all become.

The instructor who had been a police officer for decades and a training officer for much of that said remembering just the shirt color was very common. He stated some criminals were actually smart enough to take advantage of this and would wear a different colored shirt under their main shirt. If/when the criminal fled they would shed the outer shirt and at least avoid the main part of the description.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 10, 2021, 12:32 AM   #28
JERRYS.

you either want to be gray or you don't.
Old April 10, 2021, 02:26 AM   #29
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
The instructor who had been a police officer for decades and a training officer for much of that said remembering just the shirt color was very common. He stated some criminals were actually smart enough to take advantage of this and would wear a different colored shirt under their main shirt. If/when the criminal fled they would shed the outer shirt and at least avoid the main part of the description.

I have read in a couple of biographies that Jesse James did the same thing. The gang would be dressed in ragged clothes while robbing the bank/train. Then they'd ride away and change into suits and ties.
Old April 10, 2021, 09:38 AM   #30
dyl

Quote:
Over the years I've noticed that wearing a uniform at work makes me anonymous. People notice the uniform, not me. I've actually run into client employees away from work and watched them try to figure out where they knew me from.
Do you mean you wear a company uniform, or the clothes you've chosen?
Old April 10, 2021, 10:07 AM   #31
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyl View Post
Do you mean you wear a company uniform, or the clothes you've chosen?
I wear a company uniform at work but I have some leeway. I have to wear a company issued uniform shirt with the company logo and the "Private Security" patch but the handbook only specifies "Black Cargo Pants" for my pants.

The black Wrangler Cargos are an approved substitute for the company issue pants
Old April 11, 2021, 07:13 AM   #32
Brit

Quite some time ago, I was driving through Virginia. Dropped by a friends place of work. He was an Instructor at the FBI Academy.

Everybody, Instructors, and students were wearing 511s! I bought a pair in tan.
I have worn them ever since. Size 38X30. Still at age 85, wearing them. With a neat white beard, and hair. My wife of 28 years, a seamstress, (a retired accountant too) stitches a seam right down the front of the legs. Looks like they were freshly just ironed. By the way still the same size 38X30.

Same 1" belt, a Frequent Flier no metal anywhere. Kydex outside the belt holster at around 3-30pm. On the offside, a $13.00 single Glock mag pouch, for the Glock 17 magazine, for a mag change for my Glock 19 night sighted pistol.

A Surefire very bright flashlight is next to that magazine. I don't like lights on pistols. Living in Florida a short-sleeved shirt, or Guyabara look local, no one seems to link the combination with LEO. 85-year-old Cop? Yea right.
Coupled with a very lovely older Lady on my arm. Like all CCW licensed people, I hope, I carry every day. Back to the 511s, I have black and green ones as well. On our last trip to Italy/England/Ireland, quite a few 511 type pants there also. Coach drivers liked the 511 Vests also.

Last but not least, a folding 3" Benchmade clipped to my pocket.
Old April 15, 2021, 01:41 PM   #33
WESHOOT2

nailed it

Quote:
FWIW, I wear jeans. I normally wear a white button-down-collar shirt. I always wear a cover garment; got two.
Old April 15, 2021, 03:09 PM   #34
Nanuk

I kinda like the Captain America suit.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old April 15, 2021, 10:17 PM   #35
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk View Post
I kinda like the Captain America suit.
What about your Spider-Man Jammies?
Old April 15, 2021, 11:47 PM   #36
dyl

Quote:
I have worn them ever since. Size 38X30. Still at age 85
Brit, you are the oldest person I know of that wears 511 pants. And usually the folks I meet in their 70's - 80's have a fondness for Buck knives and Case knives. Either the buck 110 or a little slip joint knife in a pocket.
Old May 3, 2021, 05:37 PM   #37
JustJake

Quote:
True, ... and you'll never do that wearing tacticool Mall Ninja duds.
Old May 4, 2021, 09:51 AM   #38
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyl View Post
Brit, you are the oldest person I know of that wears 511 pants. And usually the folks I meet in their 70's - 80's have a fondness for Buck knives and Case knives. Either the buck 110 or a little slip joint knife in a pocket.
He's living out his super hero fantasies
Old May 4, 2021, 12:20 PM   #39
CDW4ME

Its almost always summer weather in FL; I wear cargo shorts with a untucked shirt everywhere.
Glock 23 + spare mag, wherever.
Old May 5, 2021, 07:23 AM   #40
ojibweindian

Since forever, during the summer months I wear tucked dress shirts, jeans, sneakers, and a light weight sport coat that covers a full sized 9mm or 45 ACP in an OWB holster.

This also is my attire when not carrying.

During the winter months, I swap out the sport coat for something a bit heavier.
Old May 5, 2021, 09:03 AM   #41
JustJake

Quote:
during the summer months I wear tucked dress shirts, jeans, sneakers, and a light weight sport coat that covers a full sized 9mm or 45 ACP in an OWB holster.
Sonny Crockett pioneered that carry-style back in the mid-'80s with a 5" 10mm Bren Ten and later, with 5" 45acp S&Ws.

Never sweated a drop at all in Miami's summer heat.
Old May 5, 2021, 12:56 PM   #42
ojibweindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJake View Post
Sonny Crockett pioneered that carry-style back in the mid-'80s with a 5" 10mm Bren Ten and later, with 5" 45acp S&Ws.

Never sweated a drop at all in Miami's summer heat.
I'm not anywhere near as sexy as Sonny =D

But, even here in Alabama, it's not terribly uncomfortable. And I much prefer to sweat a little bit and shave mucho time off my draw.
Old May 5, 2021, 03:22 PM   #43
Nanuk

moon, spiderman works.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old May 8, 2021, 02:27 PM   #44
Kevin Rohrer

For Winter wear, I have 2-pair of CCW jeans that have a pocket on each side made for a spare magazine, which works well. I also bought a 3/4 length jacket that hides an OWB holster.

For Summer wear, I wear 5-11 style shorts that have a mag pocket built-in, along w/ a t-shirt and a Hawaiian shirt overtop. Easy peasy.

Wear the gun and holster you, and dress to conceal --Me

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old May 8, 2021, 02:59 PM   #45
Carl the Floor Walker

Fortunately for the guns I EDC, I have never had to dress around the gun. I wear Tee Shirts and loose shorts in the hot Balmy days of Summer. I do not like the look of Tactical clothes. I wear most of my shirts outside of pants so any shirt is fine. I refuse to wear heavy cotton cargo pants in the summer for any reason. I like very light nylon moister wicking shorts and I do NOT want to wear a belt period. I want to wear light, travel light. I do not believe in dressing around a EDC. The only things I do seek out are minimum weight. My keys, wallet and even Knife are minimalist.
In winter/Fall easy. I just wear about any normal clothing. Typically jeans that fit perfectly. I would never buy a pair of pants one size too large for any carry reason. I do wear a belt but it is a slider belt.
Carry light, shoot fast.

And do not forget your hat. Keep the Sun and Rain OUT of your line of sight. Just ordered another one.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; May 8, 2021 at 04:24 PM.
Old May 8, 2021, 05:47 PM   #46
DaleA

And just to join in the fun here's my contribution. An add from Midway for "Assault Pants". Their term, not mine. $48 marked down from $60.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#in...ZFjblBJvhpdQKq
Old May 8, 2021, 09:54 PM   #47
Red Devil

Live in PROPPER 100% cotton ripstop BDU's.

Khaki/OD, OD/Khaki, blouse and trousers, alternating. (wear'em as solids in the shop when they get ratty and changed out for new.)

Swap in 6-pocket BDU shorts in the Summer.

Red
Old May 10, 2021, 07:57 AM   #48
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
Wear the gun and holster you, and dress to conceal --Me
What does this mean? What word is missing?
Old May 10, 2021, 09:15 AM   #49
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post

And do not forget your hat. Keep the Sun and Rain OUT of your line of sight. Just ordered another one.

I feel like that hat is as much of a tell or more so than wearing the 5.11 pants and the polo shirt.

Old May 10, 2021, 09:27 AM   #50
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
I feel like that hat is as much of a tell or more so than wearing the 5.11 pants and the polo shirt.

I could care less. And the American flag would be the same. I am proud of both. If every person that wears a Blue line support hat or a American flag means they are a "Tell" for carrying a gun or a White Supremist then they can go to hell in a Basket.
If that is a means nothing but a "Tell" to you, then you will have to live with it. My God the world is going insane!!!!!!!!!
Closed Thread