The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 3, 2021, 11:36 PM   #76
Death-Ninja

Quote:
Let me start with definitions. PCC (pistol caliber carbine) as i am using it here refers to semiauto rifle-styled guns. Most of the guns in this category will be braced or unbraced pistols, or SBRs chambered in a pistol caliber, or AR’s with either a pistol or rifle length barrel chambered in a pistol caliber. I don’t include lever guns of any kind in this category.

So, with that out of the way, let me acknowledge that PCCs are all the rage. Seems like all the gun reviews on you tube are touting these, lots of manufacturers are getting into the game (Ruger, CZ, HK, and many others). So they have to be selling like hot cakes.

But i don’t get it. They don’t have a lot of practical value. I’ve tried them, and frankly if I’m going to be shouldering a gun that size, i see no point in a pistol caliber. I’d prefer my 300 blackout braced pistol every time.
I guess for competition it allows shooters to shoot steel without damaging targets, but other than that i don’t see the point.

If they are not shouldered (and most are sold without pistol braces) then they are very unwieldy. If they are shouldered, why not just have the extra effectiveness of a rifle caliber?

I realize that guns like this are featured on lots of popular video games. Is that the reason for the demand? Because from a real world practicality standpoint, i don’t see their purpose or appeal. Thoughts?
Sometimes I am just astonished by folks who come to such conclusions, there is nothing, absolutely nothing more pragmatic than a handy carbine chambered in exactly the same caliber you carry on your hip, 9mm, .40, .45. .38/.357, .44 spl/.44 mag, how someone could fail to identify the so very obvious is really rather astonishing, to say the least!
Old March 4, 2021, 12:01 AM   #77
Blue Jays

/\/\/\

I am with you, Death-Ninja.
My parents are quite elderly and my mom thinks their "his and her" pair of revolvers are maybe becoming too much to handle.

I think she and my dad would love a .38 Special carbine.
It would make life easier and certainly still be a formidable way to protect a home.

Christmas is coming along soon. Maybe an early gift to them!
As mentioned on previous page I'm thinking about CMMG Banshee for myself in .40 S&W.
Old March 4, 2021, 06:14 AM   #78
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Wilson Combat seems to manufacture a nice carbine, yet it sadly is only available in 9mm.
It seems my best choice so far for premium-quality carbine in .40 S&W is CMMG Banshee.
Any other ideas for a really good one in .40 S&W?
Check out the Justright Carbine. Available in 9mm, .40, 10mm, and .45 ACP. It’s also modular, uses AR15 FCG, configurable, and has conversion kits for the different calibers available. They are built like tanks and work very well. The only negative is no bolt hold open on last round fired.
Old March 4, 2021, 08:48 AM   #79
Blue Jays

Thank you for the tip very much, @jetinteriorguy. JRC looks like a solid company!
I am exploring their website and looking at various carbine models already.
Old March 4, 2021, 03:05 PM   #80
TOU

AS noted previously, I currently have PCC's in Kel-Tec, CZ and most recently an Extar...have owned several others. I am thoroughly impressed with the Extar for 1/3 the price of my Scorpion! Very smooth and soft shooting. So much so, I bought another & have had 7 friends acquire one as well. All have been satisfied. Might want to check them out too...

ZBROJOVKA BRNO
Old March 5, 2021, 07:38 AM   #81
jetinteriorguy

That Extar looks interesting, think I’ll check it out myself.
Old March 5, 2021, 09:46 PM   #82
Urbanrecon

I sorta hate to admit it but I'm rather interested in the Aero Precision EPC line. For some reason I find myself interested in one in .40 caliber too. Don't know exactly why, might need to discuss that with my therapist...

I'm also concerned about the direct blowback system. Not really a problem for most of the pistol calibers but not luxurious either. Then again for the price they are selling if for...
Old March 6, 2021, 11:29 AM   #83
GarandTd

I wasn't ever too interested in the PCC's. They look like fun and I understand the advantages, but there were always other things further up the "want" list.

Now, due to the ammo crunch, I'm falling back on my rimfire stash (bigger than center-fire). Within the next week, I'll have all the parts for my dedicated 22lr upper receiver for my AR. I guess that'll be my PCC.
Old March 6, 2021, 01:33 PM   #84
T. O'Heir

"...inside a confined space..." So does a cf pistol calibre out of a handgun.
Pistol caliber carbine is a Politically Correct way of saying semi-auto only submachine gun. Such things being a great deal of fun.
Shot a real M-16K(9mm select fire SMG version) at Second Chance long ago. (Colt sales reps are great people.). Fabulous things so they are/were.
Sadly there's a lot of plain junk in the market.
1,080px × 1,080px is too big.
Old March 6, 2021, 01:58 PM   #85
Carl the Floor Walker

I was not interested a few years back. But things change, and a little learning about the benifits shows that for MY personal needs they are a great idea. I do not have any use for a 5.56. Nothing against them but just no need. None for hunting etc. And they are LOUD. Hate to be at a indoor range on a Saturday when the owners come out of the wood work.
I shoot a mostly 9mm's and always have plenty of ammo. (pre crap days). It makes perfect sense for many things. Home defense. Bug out with a Carry Pistol etc. Amnmo not as expensive etc.

What if find interesting is that many talk about just shooting 50 yds. I would say that even just 25 yds a Carbine 9mm will produce much better results and faster, than any pistol, at least for me. 50 yds is a bonus.
Old March 6, 2021, 05:29 PM   #86
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
The way I think about pccs is a semi auto smg. They definitely don't replace a rifle, but having a medium range gun with mags that are interchange with your carry gun could be very beneficial. Plus a ton of fun at the range...
Also, I still think a lever gun PCC is sweet. Got my eye on a henry lever gun in 44mag for hunting season this year.
Old March 7, 2021, 04:27 PM   #87
1911_Hardball

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
Pistol caliber carbine is a Politically Correct way of saying semi-auto only submachine gun.

Saying semi-auto only submachine gun is like saying magazine fed single shot.
Old March 7, 2021, 06:40 PM   #88
gwpercle

You're not alone ... PCC isn't my cup of tea either .
I tend to enjoy the NRA Bullseye Match shooting myself .
Gary
Old March 8, 2021, 02:16 AM   #89
FrankenMauser

I was about to ask how this thread made it to page 4. But then I realized that this is a "milk vs sugar" argument.
It's about tea - personal taste and preference.

My take?
PCCs are dumb and of little value.
But that "little" part... It matters to me and makes sense. I'd own several if I hadn't blown my funds elsewhere over the last decade.
Old March 8, 2021, 01:30 PM   #90
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOU View Post
AS noted previously, I currently have PCC's in Kel-Tec, CZ and most recently an Extar...have owned several others. I am thoroughly impressed with the Extar for 1/3 the price of my Scorpion! Very smooth and soft shooting. So much so, I bought another & have had 7 friends acquire one as well. All have been satisfied. Might want to check them out too...
Apparently Extar has changed a bit. The ones I looked at a couple years ago were rifle-caliber pistols: 5.56 and without any buffer tube.
Old March 8, 2021, 01:55 PM   #91
simonrichter

First and foremost, I personally think that it makes no sense at all mergingg pistol caliber ARs, actual "carbines" in the classical sense of the M1 or Marlin Camp Gun and semi-auto variants of SMGs into one category, these are very different concepts in terms of compactness and handling imho.

I do see alot of benefits as compared to a SBR / rifle caliber carbine:
- cheaper ammo
- magazine combatibiliy with your pistol is possible
- while rifle calibers don't retain a lot of energy below 12, 10" or so, pistol calibers still gain a bit more then out of a pistol-length barrel while avoiding the immense blast and flame throwing. Much more comfortable to shoot indoors
- PC are more useful when using a suppressor
- PC often utilize a strsight blowback system which is simpler and easier to maintain than a gas operated platform
- some PCC (particularly the "civil-version SMGs") are considerably more compact than even very short ARs
Old March 8, 2021, 05:59 PM   #92
LightninST

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
I was about to ask how this thread made it to page 4. But then I realized that this is a "milk vs sugar" argument.
It's about tea - personal taste and preference.

My take?
PCCs are dumb and of little value.
But that "little" part... It matters to me and makes sense. I'd own several if I hadn't blown my funds elsewhere over the last decade.
Cream or Sugar In Tea ?
I rather like my 9mm AR9
Old March 10, 2021, 06:13 PM   #93
Willie Lowman

Pistol caliber carbines are great! They can be very good house guns and are a hoot to shoot at the range.

Especially if you pony up that $200 for the SBR stamp.

Old March 10, 2021, 11:15 PM   #94
TOU

The extra $200 isn't the problem. Real or perceived, it's the access granted to unwanted visitors to your home to inspect anything and everything you have...is. Also being further on the radar is not desirable. Until the political climate changes, I think I will just use my pistols with braces.

ZBROJOVKA BRNO
Old March 11, 2021, 06:35 AM   #95
Willie Lowman

Having something on form 1 doesn't grant anyone access to your home bro. You are believing a paranoid lie.
Old March 21, 2021, 12:35 PM   #96
TRX

>So, with that out of the way, let me acknowledge that PCCs are all the rage.

[Wakes up, looks for coffee.]

Yeah, it's been about ten years, time for them to roll around again.

1970s: .357 and .44 leverguns

1980s: stocked Uzis and MP5s

1990s: weird 9mm ARs

2000s: Hi Point carbines

2020s: Ruger and Kel-Tec carbines...

yep, they're baaaack!
Old March 22, 2021, 01:24 AM   #97
Urbanrecon

Let's face it, guns are fun. Almost any gun.
Old March 23, 2021, 11:27 AM   #98
Don P

Quote:
But i don’t get it. They don’t have a lot of practical value.
One word COMPETITION. USPSA and IDPA
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 24, 2021, 01:37 AM   #99
Radny97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don P View Post
One word COMPETITION. USPSA and IDPA

That’s true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 25, 2021, 06:35 PM   #100
Armybrat

Just ordered a Sig Romeo green dot for my Ruger PC Carbine - $110 from Grabagun...

https://grabagun.com/sig-sauer-romeo...ht-1x20mm.html