The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 10, 2015, 02:12 PM   #1
Nick_C_S

Stopped by my LGS today, and was surprised.

I poked my head into my local Sportsmen's Wareshouse to get some ultrasonic cleaner. While I was there, I took a look at their powder supply - naturally.

I was very surprised to see AA#7, TiteGroup; and get this: HP-38. Yes, HP-38. That was not a typo

There were only two 1#'s, but they had some, none the less. To my knowledge - and I stop by frequently - this is the first time this Sportsmen's has had W231/HP-38 since December 2012.

The thought did cross my mind to grab them. But it was short lived; as I have tons of fast pistol powder, and 3-1/2 lbs of HP-38 specifically. The right thing to do was to leave them for others.

But it was refreshing to see the pistol powder inventory. But I won't consider this nearly three year old shortage over until I see a store with more pistol powder inventory than me
Old September 10, 2015, 03:52 PM   #2
TailGator

I made a half-hour trip to the closest Bass Pro yesterday to pick up some Unique that I ordered on line (free shipping to store with no hazmat fee, for those who don't know). Of course, I had to browse around a little while I was there, and darned if they didn't have Unique and several other powders on the shelf! Just one-pound bottles, and not a huge selection, but some, including a couple of other pistol powders.

They had some .22LR in stock, too, but with a limit of one box of 222 rounds. My wife and I checked out separately, if you get my drift.
Old September 10, 2015, 04:22 PM   #3
condor bravo

I keep saying that Reloading Unlimited, as much as some may not like to buy from them, has the HP-38, aka Win 231. Checking yesterday they had eight of the eight lb containers, but only four one lb cans, in stock. If you really want it, it's available. Today they say nine of the one lb cans in stock.

Last edited by condor bravo; September 10, 2015 at 05:17 PM.
Old September 10, 2015, 06:07 PM   #4
Reloader2

We had a Sportsmans Warehouse open locally last year. When the first opened they seemed to keep Titegroup on hand. Lately I haven't seen it in there. Glad I bought some when I did and happy a little goes a long ways.
Old September 10, 2015, 09:09 PM   #5
mikejonestkd

Pistol powders seem to be coming back slowly and irregularly around NYS, but I have been fortunate to have picked up good quantities of my favorite powders in the past few months. In fact, I got 10 pounds of Trail boss this morning! I haven't seen trail boss since 2013.
Old September 10, 2015, 09:39 PM   #6
condor bravo

I use Trail Boss mostly for reduced mag rifle loads and have always been able to come up with a supply from the LGS and gun shows, and most recently five lbs from Reloading Unlimited and they have it today. Sounding like a broken record probably, but if a powder is needed, missing a good bet not to check with RU. How they have so much powder, no one seems to know. From recent discussions they apparently ship out their maximum allotment of powder on a daily basis.
Old September 13, 2015, 07:36 AM   #7
brasscollector

I still have 1-1/2#'s of 231 left. I have not seen any 231/hp38 in a couple years here in WI. I have been on the lookout for 296/h110 to no avail either. I did find some 800x and 700x a while back. Rifle powders, however, are almost to the point where I would call them plentiful..almost.
Old September 13, 2015, 07:56 AM   #8
mikejonestkd

brasscollector- Win 231/ HP-38, 296, IMR 800x, and 700X are occasionally back in stock at Cabelas and other online retailers. Get up early and check the inventory - the early bird gets the worm.
Old September 14, 2015, 10:16 AM   #9
MightyMO1911

I saw some HP38 as well as some #5 over the weekend. Definitely getting better.
Old September 14, 2015, 05:01 PM   #10
salvadore

After reading this post went to Sportsman's and picked up there last pound of HP-38.
Old September 14, 2015, 05:54 PM   #11
briandg

I like number seven. It's great in .38, and I just loaded up a bunch of light/medium .357 loads. The density is very low, a charge really fills up a case. Hs6 is similar, and great in 9mm.

I have a couple of numbers that I'd like to get my hands on again, as I gave away almost all of the stuff I had on hand a number of years ago. I gave away a four pound jug of power pistol. I still have another one.
Old September 17, 2015, 09:05 PM   #12
berettaprofessor

Cabelas in KC had 4 1-lb bottles of Win231 yesterday. as a newish reloader, I'd never seen one till now. I left with 2 lbs.
Old September 17, 2015, 09:22 PM   #13
skizzums

no issues around here. this is my least favorite retailer. pistol powers are easy to find, maybe not EXACTLY what you want at the exact time, but if I want hp38, I can usually just go grab it, but if I can't, titegroup is right there along with hs6, CFE pistol, longshot, autocomp or something. never had too much trouble with the shortage except when I first started and I didn't understand that not have the perfect choice, like VARGET was the one that comes to mind, isn't going to make me a worse shot than substituting with 4064 or h322. once I learned that it's not the powder that makes it accurate, it's matching the accurate velocity within a safe pressure that affect the shot, and although their are other considerations like density/case fill and temp sensitivity, none of that much concerned me when shooting pistol, still doesn't in the calibers I reload.
Old September 18, 2015, 11:29 AM   #14
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I left with 2 lbs.
You won't be disappointed.
Old September 18, 2015, 03:50 PM   #15
Drue

A couple of weeks ago I was in the Cabelas in Gonzales LA and was astonished to see that they had both Bullseye and Unique!!?? I left with 1lb of Bullseye and 2lb of Unique. A week later I found more at a gunshow and got two of Bullseye and one Unigue. Hog Heaven!!!

Drue
Old September 18, 2015, 04:01 PM   #16
Nick_C_S

Quote:
they had both Bullseye and Unique!
Yep, Bullseye and Unique, will cover about 90% of a handgun loader's purposes.
Old September 20, 2015, 03:04 PM   #17
berettaprofessor

Quote:
You won't be disappointed.
You called that right, Nick. I loaded 3.8 grains behind a 124 Berry's PRN and got a round that my PX4 wants to put into one hole at 10 yards....like it was made for this pistol.

Not so much for 380 and 32, however. The 380 was okay...average...but the 32 ACP was all over the place; standard deviation of 50fps and couldn't hold aim. I think I loaded both at too light a load; had some unburned debris in gun. Win 231 metered well, though. I was using a Lee Auto Drop for the 32ACP and every round I tested was right on 1.9 grains. No variation at all.
Old September 20, 2015, 06:06 PM   #18
Nick_C_S

Quote:
You called that right, Nick.
Not an amazing accomplishment. W231's reputation precedes me.