The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 6, 2020, 10:22 PM   #26
Shadow9mm

always be polite, ask first. I usually ask to dry fire, usually onle once or twice. for handguns I can generally just look down the barrel. for Rifles I ask to use a bore scope. If they don't have one I will ask to use mine. If they say no, no harm, no foul, I just wont but the gun.
Old November 7, 2020, 10:24 AM   #27
4V50 Gary
Staff

Bore & chamber condition - bright and shiny?
Exterior - tells of care of the previous owner
Wood - any refinishing needed?

BTW, years ago I saw a relatively rare rifle. When I looked at it, it seemed dirty so I asked for some rags and CLP. I dissassembled it (field strip) with the store's permission and wiped down the bolt face and then the chamber. No cleaning rod for the barrel. It looked good (no rust, pitting in areas I cleaned). Afterward I reassembled it and handed it back to the clerk who was slightly irritated that I didn't buy it after the inspection. I returned the following day and negotiated a price $50 cheaper that what they asked. We haggled and I had an extra thrown in and so I bought it.
Old November 7, 2020, 10:28 AM   #28
4V50 Gary
Staff

BTW, I once bought a sporterized K98 only because of its Weaver 330 scope. Scope look good and the rifle happened to be attached to it.
Old November 8, 2020, 02:51 PM   #29
Rob228

Bought a Beretta Silver Pigeon in a Bass Pro Shop in Ohio. I asked to look at all three that they had on display so I could pick out the one with the nicest wood. The guy then tried to bring me one in a box that I hadn't even looked at....

My own father dropped the slide on an empty chamber on one of my 1911s. We don't talk much anymore.
Old November 9, 2020, 01:39 PM   #30
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
My own father dropped the slide on an empty chamber on one of my 1911s.
Being able to drop the slide on an empty chamber (without damage) is one of my requirements for a 1911A1.

However if someone were to dry fire (snap) my Grandfather's shotgun, they would need surgical assistance to remove my boot from their butt!
Old November 9, 2020, 06:46 PM   #31
Nathan

Quote:
My own father dropped the slide on an empty chamber on one of my 1911s.
What happened to it?
Old November 11, 2020, 01:03 PM   #32
DaleA

Possible Urban Legend here:

One time at a large gun store (LGS) I saw a handgun I was interested in on "clearance reduced" price. The clerk said the gun was new even though it's outward appearance might be described as "distressed".

Here's the possible urban legend part.

The clerk at the LGS said they had to take all the guns out of the display cases every night and lock them up some where else in the store. Some nights they were very careful handling the guns, other nights (particularly Friday and Saturday) they were less careful.

All the inards of the gun looked good and the clerk even gave me a "display model" discount so I took it and have been please with my purchase ever since.

I still wonder though...is it plausible they take ALL the guns out of ALL the display cases EVERY NIGHT?
Old November 12, 2020, 09:48 AM   #33
ChasHam

Would you buy a used car without a thorough inspection?
Old November 12, 2020, 12:37 PM   #34
Pahoo

Expectations

Quote:
I still wonder though...is it plausible they take ALL the guns out of ALL the display cases EVERY NIGHT?
I'm rather doubt it and instead, take other measures to protect their inventory.

On the subject of inspection of "others" firearms, especially Gun-Stores, is usually acceptable by both parties on used or some that are sold as new. One that we could all agree on, is;

1) Bore, muzzle and crown condition.

I know we have dealers/smiths and other sellers not to mention plenty of buyers, in this forum. What points of inspections are acceptable to you. As mentioned before, I once witnessed a customer ask a dealer if he could disassemble a 1911 and inspect the parts, dealer allowed it and personally I wouldn't even ask. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old November 13, 2020, 02:50 PM   #35
DaleA

Quote:
I once witnessed a customer ask a dealer if he could disassemble a 1911 and inspect the parts, dealer allowed it
That's interesting.

Maybe the dealer knew the guy or maybe he didn't care or maybe it was just a salesperson that didn't care but it's VERY easy to get an idiot scratch on a 1911 during reassembly (don't ask me how I know).

1911 Idiot Scratch
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...AT4_4DzRaSJqLM

I always put on a show of looking down the barrel but a friend that was with me one time said dryly, "Guess the hole goes all the way thru, huh?" and it occurred to me that's pretty much all I was doing.

I still do it though and I DO look for irregularities in the rifling, gouge marks on the crown and maybe roughness in the chamber or bore...but a dirty bore doesn't bother me and I once bought a shotgun with a ding in the outside of the barrel that could be seen on the inside of the barrel too...and the shotgun shot as well as any other I've shot and I still have it to this day. (The ding...picture somebody slamming a car door and catching the barrel. Not horrible, but noticeable.)
Old November 13, 2020, 03:07 PM   #36
Pahoo

Degree of trust ??? !!

Quote:
Maybe the dealer knew the guy or maybe he didn't care or maybe it was just a salesperson that didn't care but it's VERY easy to get an idiot scratch on a 1911 during reassembly (don't ask me how I know).
Yes, he knew the customer well and although not common, that is the kind of relationship, they had. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old November 15, 2020, 07:12 AM   #37
jetinteriorguy

Of course you check the inside of the barrel. I’ve had a couple of occasions that I neglected to do this and the bores had terrible chatter marks. Both of these were Taurus products, one a snub nose revolver, and the other a small semiauto. Can’t say it affected accuracy or reliability since both guns were reliable and fairly accurate as far as group size. It was where that group always landed in relation to where I was aiming that caused me to get rid of them. I don’t attribute this to the condition of the barrel, but to the way they fit my hand and trigger position. For me some guns work and I keep them, and some don’t and I get rid of them.
Old November 16, 2020, 07:52 PM   #38
Rob228

Quote:
What happened to it?
Nothing as far as I can tell. But that isn't something you do to another person's 1911 without asking. You especially don't make a comment about how strong the recoil spring is after you do it (I know its strong, I replace them every 2000 rounds).