The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 8, 2020, 09:00 AM   #1
wild cat mccane

Name the high brass target loads? (12ga)

Hey all,

I have Cabelas open and admit I have zero idea what I'm searching for when it comes to a target load that *should* run in a semi auto.

Is there a specific brand/load I should reasonably expect a semi auto to feed?

Lots of people randomly comment more expensive AA. Welp, there are 4 types of AA on Cabelas and all the same price.

No product describes high or low brass, but QAs from all loads include the question.

So...what is the brand and model that one would expect to feed a semi auto?
(Please don't say it depends on gun )
Old October 8, 2020, 10:36 AM   #2
pete2

There are no "high brass" target loads that I know of. All target semis should run all target loads excep the low noise/low recoil loads. Any load rated as 1145FPS, 1oz shot or heavier should shoot in a target semi gun. My 110 and 1187 will run them without problems. I know you don't want to hear it depends on the gun but it does. Some non target guns will only shoot heavy loads, it is how they are made. AA target loads aren't required. The so called Dove loads should also work. I shoot a bunch of them. Some guns have trouble with the steel bases on the cheap/field loads, AA have brass.
Old October 8, 2020, 12:09 PM   #3
wild cat mccane

In general, a 1oz or higher with brass should be good then?

General statement, I know.

Federal Grand equal as likely as AA?
Old October 8, 2020, 06:10 PM   #4
FITASC

Forget anything about low or high brass; it has zero meaning in today's shotgun ammo world.
My Beretta gas guns run on my 3/4oz reloads and anything other 12 gauge load, target or otherwise.
Winchester AA and Remington STS are two great target loads that are even available at Walmart for less than Cabelas.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 9, 2020, 09:19 AM   #5
wild cat mccane

Thank you both. I bought a bunch of AA boxes. Going to stick with Cabelas as I'm not stepping foot in a Walmart with Utah's covid rate right now.

I just bought a shload of FliteControl #00 LE13200 too. It is not reduced recoil advertised, but it is listed at 1145fps...kinda way below what I'm reading needs to be 1250fps.

Any immediate thoughts if this might be questionable in a semi? (my coming CZ 712 is gas operated)

Last edited by wild cat mccane; October 9, 2020 at 09:26 AM.
Old October 9, 2020, 09:56 AM   #6
FITASC

It shouldn't cause issues. If this is a brand new gun, remember to give it a good cleaning to get factory preservatives out of the gun and then relube per the owner's manual.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 9, 2020, 09:56 AM   #7
pete2

The standard for target loads is 1-1/8oz shot, 1145 or 1200fps. There are some Sporting and Handicap loads that are heavier. There are also some lighter loads available. A target semi should shoot the lighter loads. My favorite is the AA at 1145 with 1-1/8 or 1oz of shot. Some field guns require the heavier loads. My old field 1100 guns shoots the light loads just fine. Your mileage may vary.
Old October 9, 2020, 06:18 PM   #8
wild cat mccane

Thank you!

So...what is the combo that makes a light recoil load? I thought it was DPS, but that doesn’t hold true just based off what’s advertised on boxes.

Are low recoil more likely to cause issues with a
Picky semi?

Thank you!!
Old October 9, 2020, 07:15 PM   #9
FITASC

The lightest recoil comes from shooting the heaviest gun with the lightest and slowest load that works the gun - that is Newton. My Beretta gas guns run everything with no issues.
A 1oz load will have a decently less amount if recoil than a 1-1/8 in the same gun running the same speed.
Old October 9, 2020, 08:14 PM   #10
DanLee

Most gas guns work with any shell meeting the pressure requirement. Recoil operated guns work with shells meeting the velocity and payload weight parameters. What gun are you using?
Old October 9, 2020, 08:55 PM   #11
wild cat mccane

It’s a CZ 712. It comes with a 20 inch barrel. Sorry I meant to say FPS. I know the best strategy is to buy a bunch of different loads but it’s also kind of nice just to know a little bit going into it.

For example the federal premium flight control has less feet per second then the bunch of wolf buck shot that I bought as well but on paper I can’t see where that feet per second is lost has the dram in the ounce is the same on the packaging

Thank you so much all for the help