The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Are the "No Gun" signs coming down where you live?
Yes 16 23.53%
No 9 13.24%
About the same 37 54.41%
Don't live in a carry state 6 8.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 30, 2013, 02:30 PM   #51
Coyote Blue

Quote:
Edit to add: the one place that MO law does make a felony for carrying a firearm is public transportation (buses, light rail rapid transit). But that's done in another part of MO Law, not in the CCW law.
I've never understood that prohibition of carrying on buses,light raii,etc,. locations where the need to defend yourself certainly might arise. And Missouri is not the only state with this quirk.

And some states even have libraries as OL, quite inane. Although usually less threatening than the bus.

From The Cleveland Press, March 1, 1921
Old September 30, 2013, 02:38 PM   #52
RedBowTies88

We don't need signs here, the state doesn't trust us with guns. And the federal government has no interest in enforcing the constitution on which it's based.

However if by some miracle we ever did get to carry I can only imagine that 90-95% of businesses would put one up with some haste.
Old September 30, 2013, 07:41 PM   #53
Technosavant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote Blue
I've never understood that prohibition of carrying on buses,light raii,etc,. locations where the need to defend yourself certainly might arise. And Missouri is not the only state with this quirk.
My understanding is that prohibition predates MO's CCW law. If your assumption is anybody carrying a firearm (since legal carry doesn't exist) is a criminal intent on mayhem, then that's just something to throw at them. Especially if you consider that many gun control laws are really just designed to ensure those of low socioeconomic status can't arm themselves... it's a way to keep poor people from maintaining an effective defense. Rich folks can use their own cars.
Old September 30, 2013, 08:18 PM   #54
TheNatureBoy

I live in Hampton Roads, Va. and haven't seen any.
Old October 1, 2013, 09:38 PM   #55
osbornk

Quote:
I live in Hampton Roads, Va. and haven't seen any.
I live in the mountains on the other end of the state and I haven't seen any either. I think a business might as well close their doors around here if they put up signs. Whether we hillbillys carry or not, we don't want to be told that we can't.
Old October 1, 2013, 11:03 PM   #56
alex0535

I really don't know what to say here. Other than the usual places that your not legally allowed to carry, I can't remember seeing any "No Firearm" signs on private businesses.

Georgia seems to be a pretty pro-2nd amendment.
Old October 2, 2013, 11:41 AM   #57
KMAX

Andy Blozinski:
Quote:
I haven't figured out why this was supposed to make sense, but hospitals are one of the default locations in Texas law where you cannot concealed carry.
Quote:
(b) A hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or a nursing home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, shall prominently display at each entrance to the hospital or nursing home, as appropriate, a sign that complies with the requirements of Subsection (c) other than the requirement that the sign include on its face the number “51”.
(c) The sign required under Subsections (a) and (b) must give notice in both English and Spanish that it is unlawful for a person licensed under this subchapter to carry a handgun on the premises. The sign must appear in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height and must include on its face the number “51” printed in solid red at least five inches in height. The sign shall be displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
Has TX DPS changed this recently and not updated their website? I just looked this up on their website. BTW, I don't remember ever seeing one of these signs at any hospitals I have been to.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old October 2, 2013, 12:21 PM   #58
ClydeFrog

public buses, public libraries....

I've had to rely on public bus/light rail/etc off & on over the years.
I agree that some of these NO WEAPONS or NO GUNS ordinances hinder the poor/low income members of society most.

I've posted a incident I had at a metro area bus stop years ago on TFL.
A guy was walking back & forth thru a crowd of low income public bus passengers waiting at stop. I noticed him looking over the patrons & quietly slid my hand inside my jacket on my Beretta 96D .40 pistol.
The thug saw me, looked down at my chest, then briskly walked away from the bus stop.

Concealed carry license holders & gun owners should be allowed to move about freely, rich or poor. Some restrictions should apply but public or free service transportation isn't one of them.
My metro area has a free bus line downtown that ALWAYS has vagrants, street people, etc on them.
The city has a IRIS security camera network but these street people still get in fights, rob people, damage or steal property, etc.

CF
Old October 3, 2013, 06:31 PM   #59
fshfindr

I've never seen such a sign in NJ. I guess I never will since the NRA has forgotten about us.
Old October 3, 2013, 09:35 PM   #60
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
I've never seen such a sign in NJ. I guess I never will since the NRA has forgotten about us.
I hate that Jersey is not a friendly gun state.

To be honest though, The NRA doesn't have enough money or influence to change the people of the state. As some states move forward others move back. Really Bites.

Hang in there, stay safe and get together with more like minded people in your state. If you can't change anything, at least you have a support group!
Old October 4, 2013, 09:53 AM   #61
RedBowTies88

Quote:
Not just the NRA, the entire nation doesn't have any concern for the rights (or lack there of) of their fellow countrymen. besides, we could all just move right?

back on topic, I suppose if you're one of the very, very, very few people in NJ to be blessed with the states permission to carry a firearm (that means you can even stop for lunch on the way to the range without becoming a felon!) I guess signs are something you don't need to worry about, I just scanned though the statutes and didn't see anything at all about signs bearing the weight of law.
Old October 4, 2013, 03:44 PM   #62
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
Not just the NRA, the entire nation doesn't have any concern for the rights (or lack there of) of their fellow countrymen. besides, we could all just move right?
I think more of us care than you think, just that we have pretty much Zero say in the matter.

Problem that your facing, from what I see is a two part. One State, and one Federal.

The Federal Government has no will at the current time with the current elected to help NJ citizens to gain the right to carry legally. They are content with leaving it an issue within the state because it benefits their stance among a few other reasons.

The State of New Jersey has elected officials that feel the same way. Then there is the majority of the population who are not committed to changing the laws in NJ at this time.

That's what really stinks, your neighbors and coworkers just don't back you up with a voice. I don't think there is enough money from outside the state of NJ to change their mind either. The NRA has to pick and choose it's battles which makes sense.

IMHO it is going to take every one who supports the right to carry to get together.
Put up signs. Knock on doors. Hit the blogs. Make a Facebook page.

Set up a website dedicated to it (they are cheap and can get your voice out there) and encourage as many of your friends and family to visit the site ate least once a week. The more visits you get the more the site shows up in search engines. Get a petition, and have everyone write their leaders.

Maybe setup a non profit dedicated to it. Something like "New Jersey Citizens for Right to Carry."

Sounds like a lot of work, but really isn't when it is divided up! In the end the voice of the people of NJ is what speaks loudest and it will take them to make the change. Other people from other states seeing what is going on will step in and help. I am sure the NRA would chip in as well.

I can be of some help. Help with letting people I know here what you are doing. Visit the sight, bring something to contribute. Sure there are a few here as well.

Now that I have driven this thing completely off topic, I better get back on it. Just wanted to let you know we care.
Old October 5, 2013, 07:24 AM   #63
SaxonPig

The only no guns allowed signs I have seen are at Fed-Ex (ironic as I am usually there to ship a gun) and at Toy-R-Us. Don't see any others so no change I have noticed.

PS: I have read that Buffalo Wild Wings posts their restaurants but not here.
Old October 5, 2013, 08:24 AM   #64
ammo.crafter

poor signs

Can these businesses who are open to the public set their own restrictions like no sneakers in the store, no shirts with bow ties, must were only blue socks, etc?
Old October 5, 2013, 09:57 AM   #65
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
Can these businesses who are open to the public set their own restrictions like no sneakers in the store, no shirts with bow ties, must were only blue socks, etc?
Not sure about all state laws, but dress codes are often used by bars legally.
Old October 7, 2013, 02:37 AM   #66
ClydeFrog

Non-issue...

For me, it's a non-issue. I don't like to drink alcoholic beverages when I eat & I don't drink & pack loaded firearms so most bars or restaurants are not a problem for me.

Clyde
Old October 7, 2013, 03:38 AM   #67
semi_problomatic

Mississippi has always had open carry in their constitution; but a while back someone passed a law saying if any part of the gun was covered it would be considered concealed. Even if you "tied it around your neck from the trigger guard by a piece of twine, the portion of twine covering the trigger guard causes it to be concealed" or some such. A few months ago, the new govenor changed the law so open carry was again legal. Holy crap...you'd of thought he'd started releasing inmates and giving them silenced uzi's with armor piercing bullets! Some county judge even tried to put a freeze on the law to try and change it. Over night "no gun" signs flew up every where.

http://www.mrconservative.com/2013/0...n-cartoons-21/ don't know how to post pics, but that made me chuckle.