The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 9, 2020, 03:46 PM   #1
TruthTellers

Rossi Circuit Judge?

As some of you may know I've been looking at a lever action in .45 Colt that can handle hot Ruger only loads and can cycle long, heavy bullets and it seems that the only lever action that people have been saying can do that is the .454 Rossi.

So, if I wanted to shoot lighter .45 Colt or .45 Schofield ammo with 200 grain SWC or 250 grain stuff they probably won't cycle because they'd be too short in the .454 Rossi.

Thus, I've been thinking of what rifle I could shoot those lighter .45 rounds from. A single shot is an option, but the Thompson Centers are way more accurate than what I need or am looking for. So, if it's not gonna be a lever action or a single shot, then there's only one other rifle I can think of: the Rossi Circuit Judge.

I've never really thought about these before, but after watching a few videos showing the straight rifle choke with birdshot it is most interesting. It seems these are very reasonable in accuracy with .45 Colt but the added ability to shoot .410 in a proper barrel length and the choke system to reduce pattern spread with shot is all sounding very positive.

Thoughts? Anyone here ever had one or shot one?
Old May 9, 2020, 03:56 PM   #2
Drm50

Buddy won one at a Gun Blast. He had 410 shells and called me to bring over some 45 Colt.
I did, several loads 230, 240 & 250 cast , later being factory Dupe and Win Cowboy loads.
Long story short accuracy isn’t good with any 45s and he has bought a couple more brands since. I wouldn’t buy one to use as a rifle for any practical purpose.
Old May 10, 2020, 02:00 PM   #3
Wag

I inherited one from my brother-in-law. More of a curiosity than anything. Definitely not my preferred firearm.

--Wag--
Old May 10, 2020, 05:40 PM   #4
10-96

Quote:
but the Thompson Centers are way more accurate than what I need or am looking for.
TT, I enjoy your posts and contributions and I don't harbor a single ill will, but man you got me stumped by that. Are you saying you DON'T want an accurate firearm?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 11, 2020, 12:17 PM   #5
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-96 View Post
TT, I enjoy your posts and contributions and I don't harbor a single ill will, but man you got me stumped by that. Are you saying you DON'T want an accurate firearm?
I do, I just don't need it in a .45 Colt rifle. Max distance for this thing would be 150 yds, even a 4 MOA rifle will do what I want within those distances.
Old May 11, 2020, 05:41 PM   #6
mikejonestkd

I have a friend that bought one. A few range trips later the novelty wore off. He sold it soon afterward- it just didn't do anything that a different gun could do better.
Old June 12, 2020, 02:56 PM   #7
TruthTellers

I gave it some more thought, watched a Hickok45 video on youtube recently, and while it's not some super accurate gun, it's such an interesting thing that I've decided it's too interesting for me not to buy.

Even if I can't find a good shooting .45 Colt load, the Circuit Judge, with the proper choke, seems to work very well with .410 at up to 20 yards. Given it's a 5 shot revolver that means 5 quick and reliable shots with 5 pellet 000 buck and that has me thinking it would not be a bad defense gun at all.

Don't know when I will buy one, but I'm definitely going to get one.