The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 25, 2019, 08:29 AM   #76
Nanuk

Quote:
It's fact, not opinion but I see that some folks refuse to be swayed by facts. I'll obligate YOU to look up articles by John Taffin and Brian Pearce about loading the Redhawk to 50,000psi.
No, that is opinion. H.P. White laboratories tested Ruger and S&W revolvers. They both failed at the same pressure which was approximately 2X SAAMI pressures.

Cast is NOT stronger than forged. Ruger only loads are done sometimes because the Ruger cylinder is LONGER and can accommodate a LONGER bullet.

With Ruger Super Blackhawks if you are running nuclear level loads you need to install a locking base pin.

When the Border Patrol still issued revolvers in the 1980's we had S&W 19's from the 1960"s and our current production 686's and late in 1988 the Patrol started buying Ruger GP100's. There were 10 Ruger's go out of service for every 1 Smith. I was an armorer so I saw it.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old August 25, 2019, 09:29 AM   #77
pete2

I've owned 2 Redhawks, if I ever buy another .44 it's be a S&W. Rugers are too large and too heavy tho I liked them at the time. I have seen Ruger only loads for the .45 Colt, didn't see any at the time for the .44 Mag. The Redhawk/Super Redhawks are built heavy but just between you and me a .44 Mag. loaded with 300 gr bullets is still a hand full especially in a 5-1/2" Redhawk. I went back to 245 gr bullets. Just tween us chickens, I've never seen a worn out S&W or Ruger .44.
Old August 26, 2019, 08:58 AM   #78
dontcatchmany

I have the 629 4".

From what I have experienced I get worn out shooting 44 Magnum loads way before the gun will ever have a problem. I mostly shoot 44 Special out of it because I am an old man and shoot my other revolvers 10 to 1 over the 629.

I mostly pull out the 44 Magnums when I start mentally complaining about recoil in snub nosed 357 Magnum revolvers. I relearn lessons as to what recoil is when I do that....lol!
Old August 26, 2019, 10:38 AM   #79
pete2

The only revolver I've owned that was worn out was a Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk.
It was also the most accurate hand gun I've ever owned. What wore out was the ejector rod spring, it got weak and was hitting the cylinder on the edge of the chambers, ruined all sic holes. No more accuracy, I stoned off the burrs but still no accuracy. Sent it to Ruger, said it met their specs.
Old August 27, 2019, 11:08 AM   #80
Ruger45LC

Typically I'm a Ruger guy, although I don't really have an issue with S&W, I do own one. My biggest gripe about the Redhawk is the trigger system, it's just not good. The trigger can be made better, but for the subpar trigger alone, I would opt for the S&W, or just go with a Super Redhawk. Hopefully Ruger decides to offer more caliber options on their new "Super GP100", which seems to mate the GP100 frame to a Redhawk upper, which is a great idea, let's just hope we start seeing .44 Mag and .45 Colt Super GP100's.
Old August 27, 2019, 02:17 PM   #81
BillSussman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger45LC View Post
Typically I'm a Ruger guy, although I don't really have an issue with S&W, I do own one. My biggest gripe about the Redhawk is the trigger system, it's just not good. The trigger can be made better, but for the subpar trigger alone, I would opt for the S&W, or just go with a Super Redhawk. Hopefully Ruger decides to offer more caliber options on their new "Super GP100", which seems to mate the GP100 frame to a Redhawk upper, which is a great idea, let's just hope we start seeing .44 Mag and .45 Colt Super GP100's.
I agree. The Super GP100 would be great in other calibers, I just have no interest in an 8 shot 357. I like my 6 shooters to be 6 shooters.
Old August 27, 2019, 05:14 PM   #82
JohnKSa
Staff

Some cleanup work has been done on this thread.

For those who want to talk about 629s and Redhawks, this is a good place to do so. If you want to talk about reviving old threads, we don't have a place for that on TFL.
Old August 28, 2019, 07:10 AM   #83
BillSussman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
Some cleanup work has been done on this thread.

For those who want to talk about 629s and Redhawks, this is a good place to do so. If you want to talk about reviving old threads, we don't have a place for that on TFL.
Much appreciated!
Old September 3, 2019, 02:17 PM   #84
vba

Quote:
Originally Posted by AID_Admin View Post
How much heavier Ruger compare to S&W?
Well I know that the Ruger GP-100 and S&W L-Frame 6 shots weigh the same with the same length barrel. This is something I noted years ago when S&W ran those silly ads comparing the L-Frame to the GP-100.

You know, the Ruger was compared to a piece of steak where thickness is supposed to count.
Old September 4, 2019, 11:28 AM   #85
shurshot

I'll put my SW 29-10 4" .44 up against a Redhawk pertaining to durabilty, any day of the week. I love Ruger, but S&W has slowly developed the model 29 into a pretty solid design over the years.
Old September 4, 2019, 02:35 PM   #86
Dufus

Quote:
I love Ruger, but S&W has slowly developed the model 29 into a pretty solid design over the years.
S&W had to do something to them. All of them made in the Dirty Harry days were falling apart.

Hell, even my Ruger SBH was shooting loose until I remedied it too.
Old September 4, 2019, 05:02 PM   #87
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
S&W had to do something to them. All of them made in the Dirty Harry days were falling apart.
Mine didn't.

Are you surprised when you put 100,000 miles a year (most of them at 100mph) on your car year after year, and your tires and engine don't last 40 years??
Old September 4, 2019, 08:32 PM   #88
1MoreFord

Don't limit yourself. Find a good Dan Wesson.
Old September 4, 2019, 08:51 PM   #89
dogdoc

Smith 29s since the the early 1990s have an endurance package and are very durable . I shoot a lot of 44 magnums in my 629s and they hold up nicely. I also shoot a lot of midrange loads for the benefit of my hands! My older 29s get more midrange loads but I still shoot some full house stuff in them as well. The new 29s have better actions than ruger and are just more refined.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk