The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 22, 2013, 11:24 PM   #26
LRChops

This should clear things up,,,,,,When is the last time you saw a law enforcement officer or an operator carry a pistol cross draw?

THEY DON'T. Nuff said!
Old November 23, 2013, 10:03 AM   #27
dgludwig

Well, not necessarily. Before I retired, I used to carry a revolver in cross-draw fashion in plainclothes attire. And I knew a few other officers, albeit a distinct minority, who also did. Never say "nuff said" unless there's nothing else to say...
Old November 23, 2013, 10:27 AM   #28
Jim243

The advantage in cross draw is on horse back or at a card table, haven't done that in decades.(horses or cards) If I know I will be seated in a car (with seat belt) most of the time, my preference would be a shoulder holster But I have no problem drawing from a 3 o'clock OWB holster seated.

Jim
Old November 23, 2013, 10:58 AM   #29
tirod

Sweep is an interesting issue. I knew a guy who was practicing fast draw with a .357, it discharged thru his upper thigh.

The idea is that we will be angling the muzzle away from our body, but if you actually take the time to check, not so much. If you can turn on your laser and then review a few videos of your draw, either side, you'll see exactly where you do muzzle your body anytime you draw from whatever holster you use.

Cross draw gets a lot of bad talk because the muzzle sweep could pass your lower abdomen, and frankly, it gives rise to concerns. I'd be more worried about which leg is likely braced forward. And given it's already decided to shoot, then the muzzle should be going up and out - not down and across - especially if seated.

There is also the issue of why your finger would be on the trigger any sooner in the draw.

Not having competed on a range, just shot a bunch of qualifying, it makes sense that cross draws in competition could send a shot laterally across the shooting lanes at others. Goes to trigger discipline and how to start the stage, too. Instead of outlawing cross draw - turn them 90 so they all point downrange. If the user thinks he's at a disadvantage, sorry. The issue is enforcing the draw is directed downrange, not what the carry method is. It's why competition doesn't always improve our tactics or training. Arbitrary decisions that won't take into account the reality of shooting make it an artificial situation. Ironic, since so many of the events are predicated on the premise that it's "tactical reality." Not so much.

Anyway, research the ND's with impacts, lots of people strong side carry, lots of people still shoot themselves in the leg. It's largely a matter that the muzzle is still directed at the anatomy with a finger on the trigger at the wrong time. Sitting in a car and drawing from a holster angled away from your centerline should mean you have no good reason to discharge it anywhere but at the horizontal pointed away from you. Standing, the muzzle would be out of the holster largely before you could get the finger on the trigger, and it would be going up and out, not down and in.

Just exactly how does your muzzle sweep, and is it really what you want to be doing?
Old November 23, 2013, 09:51 PM   #30
dawg23

1. If you carry in a paddle holster (a GOOD one, with a GOOD gun belt), you can carry at 3:30 - 4:00 position while driving, and shift it to the 2:00 position when you're behind the wheel. Seat belts just ride along the face of the holster, and don't interfere with the drawstroke at all.

2. Shifting the holster to the 2:00 position isn't crucial for drawing the weapon -- it's just more comfortable for me.

3.. I carry 24/7 in a paddle holster (this one, with a 15 degree cant: http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=53 ). I use the same holster (and the same gun) in competition.

4. The only times I don't carry are (a) while at home, with doors locked and alarm set, because I can get to several pretty quickly, and (b) when entering NPE's.

5. With the paddle holster I use, taking the gun off is quick & easy. But it won't come off my belt unless I want to remove it.

6. I tried cross draw holsters -- don't like them -- seat belt interferes with drawstroke.