The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old April 6, 2009, 09:48 PM   #51
Coyote Hitman

Quote:
"No, not interested" and he kept on. So I told him he could ask Mr. Smith or Wesson if they were interested and he could not leave fast enough.
A pretty good example of how not to respond.
Old April 6, 2009, 10:45 PM   #52
SMiller

Don't buy magaines from these a holes, you will never see your magazine you pay for. Don't answer the door and if you do slam and lock it fast!
Old April 11, 2009, 01:13 PM   #53
Descendant

If I'm not expecting anyone, I always carry my gun to the door. My question is: where do you cross that legal line into "menacing" - any lawyers want to chime in? Is it enough to have it on your hip? What if I'm just holding the weapon, not pointing it, but just casually letting it be seen hanging at my side. Is that asking for trouble?
Old April 11, 2009, 04:53 PM   #54
Ian0351

I am fairly certain these types are at the very least scouting for empty houses, possible trying to steal identities and maybe even plotting a kick-down home invasion. When I want to subscribe to a magazine I go out, buy a copy at the quickie-mart, fill out the subscription form and mail it off requesting a formal bill to come in the mail.

Last time the magazine idiots came to my door they even admitted that they were in a vocation rehab program or some nonsense trying to get their lives back on track, as well as the bogus trip to Europe line, and they looked like tweakers. I said "you mean my tax dollars are funding this crap? get the (expletive deleted) off my (expletive deleted) porch" and closed the door hard enough to cease further conversation.

But I'm not Ahab, I open the door at reasonable hours after a peep through the looking glass provided no danger signs present themselves; in which case I talk through the door or arm myself, situation depending.

Semper Fidelis
Old April 12, 2009, 04:56 PM   #55
45-70

If I answer the door ...

I have a gun in my hand behind my back, completely out of sight. If it's needed, I don't want to have to draw it, and I certainly don't want to show it. I can always shove it in a back pocket if that becomes advisable.

But I usually don't answer the door if I am not expecting anyone. The dog barks enough to give most people the idea they don't want me to open it, anyway. I think I missed out on a chance for Girl Scout cookies not long ago for not answering the knock, but such is life.

By the way, on the rare occasion that I do open the door to someone I don't recognize, I stand mostly to the left of it (the hinges are on the right) and open it with my left hand. If they did crash through the door, I would not be pushed off balance, but to their side or behind them, gun in a protected retention, point-firing position.
Old April 12, 2009, 05:09 PM   #56
Shadi Khalil

We have those guys around here. They try to church it up but the thuggness always stinks through. They sell mags and tell you its to help better their life, when you tell them no they get pushy. From what I know, they get recruited in DC and driven into the metro suburbs earlier in the morning and not picked up till the evening. Lot's of time to get into trouble if you ask me.
Old April 12, 2009, 05:14 PM   #57
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
I had a very , very persistent magazine salesman one day and told him "No, not interested" and he kept on. So I told him he could ask Mr. Smith or Wesson if they were interested and he could not leave fast enough.
I expected the cops to show up next but they never did

Did you really think that was funny?

:barf:
Old April 17, 2009, 07:10 AM   #58
ChCx91

Here is what I would have done:

Stranger: "Do you wanna buy a magazine?"

Me: *looks at the guy and determines that he looks "shady/ghetto* "Um...no"

Stranger: "Cmon man, juss buy 1!"

Me: *getting a little ticked off* "Um..no"

Stranger: *getting a little aggressive gesturing as if he wants to rush
me* "You sure? Just buy one man!"

Me: *a small smile appears on my face as I grip a Kimber Pro Series behind my back* "OKAY! How much are they?"

Stranger: "Only 9 dollars each!"

Me: "Well I don't have my nine on me...Got change for a FORTY FIVE?!" *as I click off the saftey hard enough for him to hear it through the small opening in the doorway*

Stranger: "Hey man, theres no such thing as a fort...oh." *eyes open wide and sweat begins trickling down his cheek*

I'm so bored.
Old April 17, 2009, 09:43 AM   #59
pax

The purpose of TFL is to advance the cause of responsible firearms ownership.

The purpose of the tactics & training forum on TFL is to discuss the tactics and training that might help keep a person safe from criminal attack and out of jail afterward.

Apparently the purpose of some posters in this thread is simply to amuse themselves with posturing and bluster.

That type of attitude doesn't belong here: either these types of posters are "just playing," in which case they should go play Counterstrike or something instead of posting on TFL; or they're serious, in which case it won't be long before we hear they're in jail for criminal stupidity with a firearm. In either case it doesn't belong here.

Closed.
Closed Thread