The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 21, 2015, 02:14 AM   #1
ATN082268

What is the best 12 Gauge shotgun slug to stop a vehicle?

What is the best 12 Gauge shotgun slug to stop a vehicle?
Old August 21, 2015, 03:09 AM   #2
idek

Kinda weird question, and I have no personal experience, but if I had to guess, I'd start with these:

Brenneke Maximum Barrier Penetration Magnum: designed to do what you're asking (works with any barrel)
http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/max-barrier-pen.html

Another option might be these:

Dixie Terminator: 730 grains of hard cast lead designed for killing tough dangerous animals fast (rifled barrels only)
http://dixieslugs.com/products.html
Old August 23, 2015, 01:04 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

That doesn't happen even in movies. No slug nor anything else will ever stop a vehicle. Physics doesn't allow it.
Shoot the driver and you have a completely uncontrolled, one ton plus, projectile.
You can break a vehicle, but that won't stop it.
Old August 23, 2015, 04:20 PM   #4
Dragline45

Quote:
That doesn't happen even in movies. No slug nor anything else will ever stop a vehicle. Physics doesn't allow it.Shoot the driver and you have a completely uncontrolled, one ton plus, projectile. You can break a vehicle, but that won't stop it.
I don't think he was implying to stop it dead in it's tracks, but disable the vehicle. In that case ideks recommendation of Brenneke slugs is the best choice. Load up an 8 shot semi auto shotgun with those, and you got yourself one hell of a vehicle buster.
Old August 23, 2015, 05:08 PM   #5
g.willikers

This question has popped up on other forums.
The best answer was that the only way to be sure of stopping any vehicle is with the brakes.
Old August 23, 2015, 09:14 PM   #6
dakota.potts

I have no personal experience to back this up, but I worked with a guy who was in the Coast Guard. He told me their Interdiction boats in California carried Rifled Remington 870s with copper sabots
Old August 23, 2015, 11:45 PM   #7
shortwave

Any slug capable of penetrating a radiator will eventually stop the car.
Old August 24, 2015, 12:08 AM   #8
bamaranger

more

On the right track. Any "projectile" capable of penetrating to and into the radiator, will eventually "disable" the vehicle. The Achilles heel of any liquid cooled motor. A stone could do it.

Intending/attempting to "stop" a vehicle with conventional/typical small arms, bad tactics. I am acquainted with such a case, where the vehicle (admittedly a big one, as in 3-5 ton type truck) , well riddled, went 15 miles or more, and stopped 'cause it ran out of fuel. I was told a bullet had holed the side saddle fuel tank.

When it was over, a very terrified hitchhiker baled out as the driver was taken into custody! No LEO knew the hitcher was aboard.
Old August 24, 2015, 01:07 AM   #9
Water-Man

Don't know if it would stop a car. but I'd try the Dixie Terminator Slug.
Old August 24, 2015, 05:10 AM   #10
foolzrushn

Roadblock!

Before fuel injection, taking out the carburetor would stop fuel flow immediately with a good chance of fire. There were also distributors mounted on the front of the engine on Fords. You just had to aim at the right area and be lucky enough to penetrate a sloped hood and or the radiator support. I think much easier with a rifle, and much easier to take out the driver.

Now with fuel injectors, there is a much lower profile to stop fuel flow. But who hasn't heard stories about some large bore rifle smashing a block. I think for the most part, untrue.

certified 'soap welder'