The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: Which Remington Model 870?
WingMaster 26 72.22%
EXpress 10 27.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 29, 2015, 12:00 AM   #1
Bake

Remington Model 870 Poll:

Which one would you choose?

1. Wingmaster: worth a little extra?

2. Express: save a couple of bucks?

Last edited by Bake; July 29, 2015 at 03:31 AM.
Old July 29, 2015, 07:03 AM   #2
Virginian

I had an Express. Killed two geese with the first two shots the morning after I bought it, and it never missed a beat. Alas, I found sitting in the blind looking at the matte metal and bleah wood unrewarding, so got another Wingmaster.
Old July 29, 2015, 07:10 AM   #3
Omaha-BeenGlockin

New Wingmasters are pretty sorry examples these days---definitely not worth the $700 asking price---if you want wood and blued, the BPS is much better for less money.

I have 2 camo-ed Supermag Express'-----$367 each from Walmart----the camo finish solves the rust issue on the matte finished Express'----excellent value for the money.
-------Metallica
Old July 29, 2015, 12:25 PM   #4
Bake

Quote:
New Wingmasters are pretty sorry examples these days---definitely not worth the $700 asking price---if you want wood and blued, the BPS is much better for less money.

I have 2 camo-ed Supermag Express'-----$367 each from Walmart----the camo finish solves the rust issue on the matte finished Express'----excellent value for the money.
1. The pattern board is your friend, use the Dam thing!!!
2. The maximum range of a firearm and/or cartridge, is usually measured in miles, and means nothing.
2a. The effective range of a firearm and/or cartridge, is usually (the ability of the shooter) measured in yards, and means everything.
Old July 29, 2015, 12:31 PM   #5
Bake

Quote:
had an Express. Killed two geese with the first two shots the morning after I bought it, and it never missed a beat. Alas, I found sitting in the blind looking at the matte metal and bleah wood unrewarding, so got another Wingmaster

Even though, I am not a hunter, I understand your feelings. At my age, I have come to the conclusion, that "Life is to short, to shoot an ugly gun!".
Old July 29, 2015, 12:40 PM   #6
Chief Brody

Option 3: Police Magnum. That was my choice. Much better than an Express, not flashy like the Wingmaster.
Old July 29, 2015, 01:55 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

A Wingmaster, a Police Magnum(big time marketing term. Just like 'tactical'.) and an Express are the same thing with different finishes and stock materials.
Old July 29, 2015, 02:45 PM   #8
AL45

Just bought a 30 year old Wingmaster for 250.00. Looks great and shoots great. Looking forward to bird season.
Old July 29, 2015, 03:33 PM   #9
Bake

Quote:
Option 3: Police Magnum. That was my choice. Much better than an Express, not flashy like the Wingmaster
Police Magnum wasn't listed on the Remington webpage.There is an express magnum, and an express combo magnum, and a bright marine magnum. I also didn't list the 870 American Classic, at over $1200, I really didn't think it was necessary.
Old July 29, 2015, 07:09 PM   #10
Virginian

Quote:
More internet misinformation. The new Wingmasters are as good as any ever made, the only thing different is the style. And if you look at gun prices it is not out of line.
Old July 29, 2015, 07:41 PM   #11
jmr40

Pumps have always been intended as lower priced, dependable options for shooters and hunters. Those wanting a little more "style" have always preferred doubles. Those who wanted performance have drifted toward semi's.

Despite the internet noise I have no issues with the Express in a pump action. It does the job at a bargain price. For the asking price on a new Wingmaster I can buy a semi and I'm not that far behind a decent double. They simply aren't worth the price to me.

I've been an 870 fanboy for a while, but Browning and Benelli are building better pump shotguns today. The synthetic stocked, matte finished Nova is priced about the same as the Express and a walnut stocked, polished blue BPS is $100-$150 less than a Wingmaster. Either is a better gun.
Old July 29, 2015, 10:09 PM   #12
SARuger

I only shoot 20g and I prefer the old "X" models(20g on 12g frame). I have 2

I also have an express that goes bang just fine

All together I have three 870, one 1100 and one 11-87 and all are great shotguns

You really can't go wrong with a Remington in my opinion
Old July 30, 2015, 02:36 AM   #13
upstate81

First off im a big remington fan especially silver spoon 870 wingmasters. If you look at prices for top end semis and doubles its obvious that the more expensive pumps are priced as they should be. Furthermore, a thousand dollar semi or 1500 dollar double is not even remotely close to upper end guns and im not even including what target guns go for.

Look at the new Ithaca 37s thats a 900 dollar pump right there although its more or a niche gun. The browning bps are nice guns and my sister and father each have one (a 20 and a .410) while nice, they are cumbersome. Parts, stocks, and chokes all cost more as well. Just to blatantly say the are better because you can save a C note is wrong.

The bps is not nearly finished as well as the 870. Stocks aren't as glossy and metal isnt as dark blue. As a matter of fact the bps comes in satin not even gloss. Both guns with 28 in. barrels, the 870 is only 10 counces less, however you can get the 870 with a 25 in. barrel that is 1 pound and 10 ounces less (6lbs) To each is own. Id be very happy to own both.
Old July 30, 2015, 05:58 AM   #14
Virginian

I had 3 BPSs that never missed a beat, and I think are as well designed and built as any pump gun ever, but I could never grow to love that bottom loading. Never loved the 37 for that reason, and they just never felt "right" to me, either.
Other than a Montefeltro 20 and a 28 gauge Ultralight I have yet to meet a Benelli I liked.

Last edited by Virginian; July 30, 2015 at 06:04 AM.
Old July 30, 2015, 09:42 AM   #15
Cheapshooter

Express. Only because that is what I bougt for my purpose. HD, tactical, tacticool, range toy, whatever! 18", 7 shot, synthetic stock (which I replaced with an adjustable AR style stock anyway).
Didn't want, or need high gloss bluing, beautiful wood, juts matte black, short, sweet, and lots of boom!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 30, 2015, 11:42 AM   #16
greyeyezz

Do yourself a favor and pick up an older used Express or Wingmaster. There's only 10 million out there.

Quote:
The new Wingmasters are as good as any ever made, the only thing different is the style.
That's ridicules. The older Wingmasters had steel safety's, steel magazine followers, machined steel extractors. All that been replaced with plastic and MIM.
Old July 30, 2015, 03:42 PM   #17
BigJimP

We all have different things we like about various guns ...pumps..and others...

But for a pump gun...I'll take a BPS Hunter model all day long ( new or older versions ) against any 870 ever made, even the old Wingmasters. But I am not that crazy about today's satin finished stocks.

Personally I like the bottom ejection and loading...but it may partly be due to the fact that I've been shooting BPS pumps for at least 25 yrs - in fact for a long time, the BPS 12ga in a 28" barrel was my only shotgun for field and targets. I've shot a lot of 870's as well...just never warmed up to Remington in general ....but to each his own.
Old July 30, 2015, 04:32 PM   #18
FITASC

Of the two choices, I would take the Wingmaster - just better made than the Express. The Express is the lower price point gun made to compete with the Mossberg and all of the cheap imports; therefore corners were cut even moreso than the Wingmasters of today.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 30, 2015, 09:43 PM   #19
upstate81

Some of the early express models from the 80s are nice guns not your typical bass pro sale specials seen today.
Old July 30, 2015, 10:23 PM   #20
The Big D

I wasn't impressed with any of the 870 offerings (express or wingmaster) last time I looked. I ended up with an Ithaca model 37.
Old July 31, 2015, 01:59 AM   #21
upstate81

Ithaca is usually never a bad choice. Alotta love for the 37s around here. Price reflects that.
Old July 31, 2015, 02:16 AM   #22
lefteye

I only have five 870s; I inherited two. I shoot left handed because I am left eye dominant, but all of my 870s are right handed. I have left handed safeties on a couple of them. I have a home defense model with the long magazine and put a youth butt stock on it because I am small. I have a rifled barrel model with the cantilever scope mount and have taken deer at more than 100 yards with it. While I still have a Winchester 1897 (one of two I inherited), it stays in the safe. If I was starting over I'd buy a Wingmaster (and then an Express.)
Old July 31, 2015, 03:51 AM   #23
kozak6

I do love an Ithaca...

There have been some police surplus Wingmasters and Police Magnums on the market lately. If you want a defense gun, it's hard to do much better.
Old July 31, 2015, 04:21 AM   #24
Virginian

Quote:
That's ridicules. The older Wingmasters had steel safety's, steel magazine followers, machined steel extractors. All that been replaced with plastic and MIM.
I guess ridiculous is in the eye of the beholder. The mag followers went to plastic in the early 70s. I have had 6 of those and zero issues. The reason they went away from steel followers is because they were battering the receiver retaining ring. I have not seen a Wingmaster that did not have a steel safety. The part number for the safety button on 870s and 1100s has been unchanged for over 50 years, they list only one, and it is steel. I have seen three Wingmasters from a few years ago with MIM extractors, but I looked at a new one last week that had the forged extractor.

Last edited by Virginian; August 2, 2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old August 18, 2015, 12:13 PM   #25
Bake

Bump to the top