The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 31, 2013, 12:44 PM   #1
snowy

Cheaper than Dirt ripoffs !!! 20 rounds $89.00

This is from Cheaper than dirt. I hope everyone remembers this after the crisis

mmo 9x19mm PMC Starfire SFHP 124 Grain 20 Round Box Starfire Hollow Point 1090 fps 9FSB
(no reviews)
Our Low Price:
$89.19
Old March 31, 2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Polinese

Is it really that different from what any other vendors are doing?
Old March 31, 2013, 01:05 PM   #3
whip1

Buyers set the market. If someone buys the ammo, then it's worth it. If the people that are losing their minds would stop, and calm down for a moment, this would all pass over.
Old March 31, 2013, 02:17 PM   #4
dajowi

Did you see the brick of Armscor .22 Solid Point 40 Grain 500 Round Brick Standard Velocity 1135 fps for the amazing low price of...$149.79. This doesn't even include the $18.20 shipping charges.

Maybe I should try to sell the 400 rounds of mini-mag .22 I have for $1 a round.
Old March 31, 2013, 02:24 PM   #5
tahunua001

Quote:
considering that everyone else is still under $20 a box yes it's very different. the only difference is that everyone else has nothing in stock while cheaper than platinum has prices set so high that nobody buys enough to be out of stock.
Old March 31, 2013, 02:55 PM   #6
Leejack

Price gouging is all over the place, and we have our wonderful government to thank for it.
Old March 31, 2013, 02:56 PM   #7
Wyosmith

Cheaper than Dirt has a very long track record of gouging when every they can.
But if people keep giving them their business I'd have to guess it's the people's fault for them still being in business.
Old March 31, 2013, 02:58 PM   #8
Fishbed77

Quote:
I agree. I'm not even sure how they are still in business. I for one will never purchase from them again.
Old March 31, 2013, 03:30 PM   #9
dcludwig

Quote:

I agree. I'm not even sure how they are still in business. I for one will never purchase from them again.
Sure, there are other vendors that are gouging, but does that make it okay for CDT to do? Still, it IS your choice to accept the gouge and buy, or search and buy elsewhere (or better yet, wait out the panic mode until things get realistic again).

This isn't even the real issue i have with CDT. Almost immediately after the Sandy Hook tragedy, they came out with that stupid "we'll no longer sell any of that nasty assault weapons stuff!" I have since asked them to take me off of their email and their snail mail lists. I just don't want to reward them for becoming Joe Biden's pony.
Old March 31, 2013, 03:46 PM   #10
arizona98tj

Who the hell cares? Unless someone is holding a gun to your head, making you spend your $$ at CDT, then stop fretting about it like an ol' granny who found bunnies in the garden. If no one buys from them, they will lower their prices. If anything, go fuss at the people that are spending $$ at CDT....they are the ones supporting the price structure.
Old March 31, 2013, 03:52 PM   #11
9mm

Only a rip off if you buy it. Other wise the more who refuse to buy it rips off them!
Old March 31, 2013, 04:16 PM   #12
Kreyzhorse

Don't buy it. Once people stop paying crazy prices and hoarding ammo, the price will drop.
Old March 31, 2013, 04:28 PM   #13
shouldazagged

"Price gouging is all over the place, and we have our wonderful government to thank for it."

No, we have ourselves to thank for it. The customers who will put up with this kind of ripoff contribute directly to the problem. The dealers like CTD have the public by the...neck, shall we say...because people panic and rush to pay monstrous prices.

It's called a feeding frenzy, and if you get into the middle of it you'll get eaten.
Old March 31, 2013, 04:45 PM   #14
Mike38

Quote:
$4.50 per round for 9mm ammo? Yea, it sure is different then other vendors! It’s beyond supply and demand capitalism, it’s down right highway robbery.

Save the lectures on supply and demand folks, you are not going to convince me otherwise.

I can spare (if I had to) 3000 rounds of new 9mm. I’d sell all you want for 50 cents a round and make a killing.
Old March 31, 2013, 05:38 PM   #15
Technosavant

I'd be rather surprised if their prices weren't set automatically (much like Amazon does)- they take on hand supply, expected incoming supply, and recent demand into account. Amazon will periodically have an out of print paperback that normally would be $12 new for $100+ because no more are coming in, they only have a few left, and several people have been searching for it.

I very highly doubt they looked at that box of ammo and said "You know, we can buy that new boat if we get $80 for that thing."

Moreover, as others point out- if you don't want to pay it, don't. I've bought things from CTD lately because they had what I wanted in stock and for a reasonable price. But if you're buying what everybody else wants to buy, expect their pricing algorithms to be adjusting that price upward.
Old March 31, 2013, 05:56 PM   #16
IMTHDUKE

Quote:
But if people keep giving them their business I'd have to guess it's the people's fault for them still being in business.
They did the same thing last ammo shortage.
Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO
Old March 31, 2013, 06:24 PM   #17
Lemmon

Thanks Technosavant......

Thanks Technosavant for you stating the pricing of Amazon. I noticed that one item that I had been watching and trying to make a decision to buy or not. The item automatically jumped up in cost. I guess my constantly viewing the product could cost me more in the final cost as supply dwindles down and approaches zero in supply. Basic marketing class.... supply and demand...

I will never say I will not buy from Cheaper than Dirt but it will be only at a time when I desperately need the item. Currently there are a number of venders selling the same products out there.

Lemmon from Rural South Carolina
Old March 31, 2013, 06:38 PM   #18
Joe_Pike

Old March 31, 2013, 06:46 PM   #19
Spats McGee
Staff

No, not this thread again. We've got way too many threads on gouging in general, and CTD in particular.