The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 18, 2014, 09:03 PM   #1
TacticalJackal

Reloading Newbie with questions!

Both new to the forum and the reloading. Double whammy!

Tonight I ordered my first reloading kit. The Lee Classic Loader for 223 Rem (http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-...pr_product_top) and I have a TON of questions if anyone has any experience with Lee Classic Loaders.

I know that this unit isn't optimal for reloading quickly. I'm more interested in learning the process of reloading and the subtle variations in performance that result from minute changes in powder, bullet weight, etc than I am worried about being able to knock out a few hundred rounds a night.

So my questions are as follows:

With regards to the powder dipper, I know it measures in CCs, so does each manufacturer have a data sheet that does a CC to grain conversion?

I've read a review of someone consistently detonating primers whilst trying to seat the new primer. Is this the product of carelessness, or is this a flaw with this kind of loading?

I'm looking into digital calipers and a bullet puller, but apart from those two things are there any supplemental accessories that I should look into purchasing?

Any thoughts on creating a decent workspace in a small house? My new house should have a little room for a small Frankford (I think thats the brand?) reloading stand. I would love to save money by going in a different direction, which I'm sure my soon to be wife would greatly appreciate.

I am a college student on a somewhat limited budget, buying my first house and getting married all in the next 6 weeks. Please keep those things in mind, as I do not have a lot of money to burn (which is why I selected this loader).

Thanks in advance everyone. This forum has been terrifically helpful thus far
Old March 18, 2014, 09:36 PM   #2
Wreck-n-Crew

First of all welcome to TFL!
Quote:
With regards to the powder dipper, I know it measures in CCs, so does each manufacturer have a data sheet that does a CC to grain conversion?
Yes lee Has a conversion from volume to weight by powder here: http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data...ct/Dippers.pdf
Quote:
I've read a review of someone consistently detonating primers whilst trying to seat the new primer. Is this the product of carelessness, or is this a flaw with this kind of loading?
It happens and can be both or either. The LEE hand priming tool is what I use currently and some hate it (at least the new version) and some love it. No Issue with a bang from using it through thousands of rounds. Also gives me a chance to get away from the press and feel the primers seat properly so I like it.

Quote:
I'm looking into digital calipers and a bullet puller, but apart from those two things are there any supplemental accessories that I should look into purchasing?
I use the non-digital calipers myself and they work fine. If you want to save a few bucks that may be a good choice. You also might want to get a second scale if the LEE scale is the only one you have. I have an MTM which works ok and is much faster than the LEE beam scale.

Quote:
Any thoughts on creating a decent workspace in a small house? My new house should have a little room for a small Frankford (I think that's the brand?) reloading stand. I would love to save money by going in a different direction, which I'm sure my soon to be wife would greatly appreciate.
Craigslist, or the thrift store usually gets old furniture or desks in if you don't want to go through the hassle of buying wood to build something. I started off using a little table to mount the press to. I used a small piece of 2x6 that I screwed to in first then mounted the press to the board. The press won't hold in the particle compressed wood/particle board for long before the screws strip out so the little board eliminates that problem. As for space mine is limited as well. But I all fits in the closet if necessary. I had to raise the desk up with a couple 4x4 blocks and now the height is fine.
Old March 19, 2014, 09:29 AM   #3
LarryFlew

might mention if your doing 223 with this type of resizing it should NOT be shot in a semi auto like an AR
Old March 20, 2014, 05:55 AM   #4
Tipsy Mcstagger

Since you can only neck size, you should only re-use your brass in the gun you shot it from.
If you use military brass there's a good chance you'll need a primer pocket swager to take the crimp out so you can install a new primer.
Your case may go beyond the max and you'll need a trimmer to trim it down, then you'll need a chamfering and deburring tool. Plus for consistency's sake, the brass should be uniform in length.
You mentioned minute powder changes so I'd also recommend a scale.
Old March 20, 2014, 08:53 PM   #5
TacticalJackal

After reading everything I did, I decided to get a different loader. The precision seems perfect for pure bolt gun operation, but I have an AR so I decided to go with this one instead :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Uses standard dies and now I can neck size for my bolt gun OR FL resize for my AR. Seems like a much better bet overall.

Unless I missed something entirely, which is why I posted something about it here. Am I thinking in the right direction here?

Also, can someone direct me to a post on crimping before I decide on a set of dies?
Old March 20, 2014, 11:19 PM   #6
steve4102

Quote:
Unless I missed something entirely,
You need a manual or three and I would also suggest a scale.
Old March 21, 2014, 09:19 AM   #7
g.willikers

You sure have picked the hard way of doing things.
Do yourself a favor and at least get a bench mounted press.
Lee makes a couple of really inexpensive ones that are much easier to use.
http://leeprecision.com/reloading-presses/single-stage/
Everyone discounts them, too.
I have one of these:
http://leeprecision.com/reloader-press.html
And one of their equally inexpensive powder measures helps, too.
Especially the rotary one.
http://leeprecision.com/powder-handl...wder-measures/
You can set it using the scoops, but a genuine scale is much better, and will last a lifetime.

Last edited by g.willikers; March 21, 2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old March 21, 2014, 11:11 AM   #8
mikld

I bought a "nut cracker" Lee Hand Press during an interim in my housing situation (moved into a small apartment) and used it for a while. Everything that needs to be done for reloading can be done on a hand press. I even have full length sized some .223/5.56 and sized cast bullets. I didn't try sizing 30-06 'cause I wasn't shooting many then, but I'm sure it can be done easily.

But, after reloading for nearly 30 years I still have that press and 5 Lee Loaders. I have popped a few primers with the Lee Loaders but that was on only one Loader; the .44 Magnum. I still use them when I feel "retro".

Lee has a chart on line for the dippers and loads per powder. http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/Dippers.pdf and a scale is a good thing to have...
Old March 28, 2014, 01:33 PM   #9
bedbugbilly

Your Lee dipper set should come with a sliding conversion chart for the various powders. If you are going to use dippers - it is important to be "consistent" in how you dip. By that, the method you use to fill the dipper - push under the powder to fill and then strike, dip sideways and then strike off, etc. - everybody does it differently. Different powders will dip differently. Whatever you do - use the chart for reference but WEIGH them - either on a balance scale or a digital - and not just once. Check them every few cartridges to make sure you are consistent in your loads.

I only load pistol cartridges. I use a Lee Perfect Powder Measure to throw my charges - currently I'm using BE and it works slick and is consistent - BUT - I still check every so often to make sure that it is throwing the correct charge. YMMV according to the powders you are using/gr. wts. etc. Just make sure that you "start low" and work up from there and never exceed the recommended max. charge.

Good luck and have fun!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 28, 2014, 01:45 PM   #10
mags2079

i use the lee hand press and it works fine. i have a 7-08 and no room for a good press. so it should work great for 223/556
Old March 28, 2014, 02:47 PM   #11
loic

Unless you already ordered it, I would get the lee turret, it can be used single stage by just removing the middle rod (takes 3 second, no tools)
For my rifles (bolt and my ar) I use a scale (digital, can get them on amazon , I have the aws 200) for the powder.
Full resizing die is what you need for the ar. For my bolt I use only the collet (all brass were shot only in my rifle)
If you choose a digital caliper get a quality one, in the begining I was using some cheap stuff and the reading was not consistent..
Get a few reliading manual and alway work your way up, never start with the max load. Do not believe/try the recipe you will find on the internet unless you were able to confirm the said recipe.
Old March 28, 2014, 02:48 PM   #12
loic

Oh and you will need some case lube too
Old March 28, 2014, 05:58 PM   #13
pathdoc

I know the OP's gone and done something different already, but I thought I'd comment on the primer detonation issue. I've loaded up a couple of hundred rounds on the Lee Loader so far, banging merrily away as hard as I can, and have not had a single exploded primer. I do wear safety goggles AND ear protection, so I suppose it's like it never raining when you carry an umbrella, and maybe I just haven't been doing it long enough to have one go off yet, but it strikes me that someone who's having regular detonations must surely be doing something wrong.

Got to admit, though - the first twenty were a tad scary. After about sixty, I stopped caring.
Old March 28, 2014, 07:27 PM   #14
loic

It happened to me once on my progressive press, it scared the hell out of me...LOL. on the turret never happened, even removing live primer from a case, slowly it didnt blow on me.