The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 2, 2009, 09:41 PM   #1
joeg26er

Problems with SWFA Purchase

Hey guys -
I made my first purchase from SWFA for my AR and am having problems with their customer service.

Is there someone I can send an email to besides their "normal" CS reps?

I won't make my issues public until I have exhausted my options in order to be fair to their company.

thanks
Joe
______
Old January 2, 2009, 10:13 PM   #2
Inspector3711

Wow,

I was just thinking "thats strange". Then I remembered that when I bought my Burris Zee rings (they had the lowest price on the planet) it seemed to be taking awhile to get my rings. I tried emailing with no reponse. Two days later the rings showed up. I, of course, don't know if this is your beef but if it is I would just relax for a couple more days. They have a good reputation.
Old January 3, 2009, 10:06 AM   #3
Horseman

Did you call them? THey have a knack for taking your order without telling you if stuff's on backorder. I've cancelled orders in the past for that very reason. I don't know if that's your problem or not but that's the only negative I've had with them.
Old January 3, 2009, 12:29 PM   #4
JAYBIRD78

Threaten to cancel your order in 48 hrs if you receive no response. That is how I got satisfaction. I have had excellent service from them in the past. Give them a chance but be firm. People stop bluffing most of the time if you call them on it and you can back it up. Good luck
Old January 3, 2009, 02:59 PM   #5
joeg26er

swfa problem

I sent them an email on Friday and pending their reply - I will post details.

I received the item I ordered but there was an issue with it and they are not being very good about taking care of the problem.
Old January 3, 2009, 03:23 PM   #6
Tombstonejim

It is New Years Weekend. I doubt anyone has been at work since Friday noon and won't be until Monday.
Old January 3, 2009, 05:12 PM   #7
McKinneyMike

Swfa Cs

Goto SWFA's forum at http://www.opticstalk.com/ and look for Chris Farris. He is the guy to discuss your issue with or call them and ask for him.

I agree that I have never heard of any issues with their CS.
Old January 3, 2009, 10:15 PM   #8
joeg26er

SWFA.com customer service being reviewed badly

seems like SWFA is deeply disappointing bunch of other people on AR15.com

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=2&f=78
Old January 3, 2009, 10:38 PM   #9
Horseman

WOW. That's a *&^storm. Not good business practices. The internet's a dangerous thing sometimes if you're not delivering up to expectations.
Old January 4, 2009, 12:11 AM   #10
sholling

Just call them. Their inventory system is not tied in with their website so the order page has no way of knowing if the have stock. They're really nice honest people so just call them and they will get it straightened out. In fact always call and confirm stock before placing an order with any small retailer.
Old January 4, 2009, 04:54 PM   #11
Horseman

Quote:
Just call them. Their inventory system is not tied in with their website so the order page has no way of knowing if the have stock. They're really nice honest people so just call them and they will get it straightened out. In fact always call and confirm stock before placing an order with any small retailer.
Good advice. Unfortunately the first order I ever placed with them 3 years ago I called by phone and didn't think to ask if it was backordered. 3weeks later I called and was told it was on backorder. I cancelled the order. I've bought scopes from them since without a problem but I ALWAYS ask for availability. They are easily the worst at letting you wait without informing you of status of any company I've ever ordered anything from sporting goods related or not. Their 110% price match guarantee is misleading as well. I found a scope for $50 less from almost every other online retailer. I had to call and give a list of vendors so they could see if they were "certified vendors". Then what you get is the price of the competitor and 10%of the difference. So I save $5 on the scope instead of buying it from the vendor who ALWAYS has a good price. I still buy stuff from them but their prices have gone from wholesale to high end of retail in the last couple of years.
Old January 4, 2009, 08:15 PM   #12
sholling

Quote:
Their 110% price match guarantee is misleading as well. I found a scope for $50 less from almost every other online retailer. I had to call and give a list of vendors so they could see if they were "certified vendors". Then what you get is the price of the competitor and 10%of the difference. So I save $5 on the scope instead of buying it from the vendor who ALWAYS has a good price. I still buy stuff from them but their prices have gone from wholesale to high end of retail in the last couple of years.
I can't disagree. When they have a special going it's hard to beat their prices, but the rest of the time they're about average for an online retailer.

I can't speak for SWFA but a lot of these smaller online retailers have little inventory and rely on drop shipping from the manufacturer. That's why most can't tie inventory systems into the website. Optics Planet is or was that way, but if you call them their CSRs can access the manufacturers' inventory systems. It's not fool proof but it gives you the best odds of not getting stuck with a back order.
Old January 4, 2009, 11:29 PM   #13
joeg26er

my problem with SWFA is....

my problem with SWFA is not an instock / out of stock issue
but that is pretty bad if they take your money on an out of stock item and worse yet they hold onto it until you ask them what is going on
that is ridiculous...

my problem is I received an item (guess I got lucky there)
then there was a problem with one of the components
and therein lies the customer service complaints

I should note - good customer service is defined by how a company handles problems

thus, if you did NOT have a problem with your order that SWFA had to overcome, you cannot comment on this most important aspect of customer servcice

If you had a problem with your order and SWFA overcame it to your satisfaction or otherwise, please comment on That
Old January 5, 2009, 12:36 PM   #14
thinkingman

I have made about a dozen deals with SWFA and everyone was fast and professional.
I think they care about their reputation.
Old January 5, 2009, 06:42 PM   #15
joeg26er

no reply to my email sent on Friday

I sent an email on friday without reply - this is bad customer service

I will call them tomorrow and see what they have to say on the phone
Old January 5, 2009, 07:57 PM   #16
Horseman

Quote:
I think they care about their reputation.
Then they have not been sleeping well the last few weeks.
Old January 13, 2009, 10:54 AM   #17
joeranger

If you post something bad about SWFA on opticstalk, be ready to be flamed.
Old January 13, 2009, 11:40 AM   #18
Legionnaire

Hmmm; interesting. I've bought from SWFA over the years with no complaints. But some time ago I placed an order for a scope and a set of mounts. Got an email ten days later saying that the scope was backordered; nothing in the message about when it might ship, whether they were holding the order; when the mounts might ship, etc. No word since, and it's been over a month. Beginning to assume that they cancelled the entire order because the scope wasn't in. Sorry. Back to BearBasin for me.
Old January 13, 2009, 12:28 PM   #19
overkill556x45

I tried to buy a scope from SWFA last year. After two months on backorder with no mention of when it might ship, and after phone calls promising it would ship "soon" I canceled my order and bought from Midwayusa.com. Four days later my scope was attached to my rifle.

I know SWFA is busy, but is Midwayusa or Brownells any less busy? I think SWFA is a decent website but something needs to be done to keep massive backorders from piling up.
Old January 13, 2009, 02:16 PM   #20
Horseman

Quote:
If you post something bad about SWFA on opticstalk, be ready to be flamed.
That is possibly the truest statement I've read on TFL. Better yet try to tell them Leupold doesn't suck.

Tags
aimpoint , problems , swfa , swfa.com