The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 7, 2001, 03:37 PM   #1
idaho-ar15

My father enjoys informal trap shooting with myself but he has lived a hard life ( 2 broken necks, vietnam vet, 7 day a week 14 hours a day farmer) and the shotgun is really effecting his shoulder. He can only shoot 1 box of light loaded trap shells before his shoulder hurts to much and he ends up with some pretty nasty bruising.

He uses a winchester 1200 shotgun, I've let him use my 3" and my 3.5" browning to see if there was less felt recoil. No such luck.

My question is: Do the ported choke tubes that Cabelas sells really reduce felt recoil?? I'm toying with getting him one or getting a second barrel for the winchester and having it sent to magnaport to have them work their magic.

thanks
idaho-ar15
Old June 7, 2001, 03:57 PM   #2
dick w. holliday

i've got some Rhino chokes for my browning O/U as well as the factory ports in the barrel and i cannot tell any difference and if i am shooting trap or skeet next to someone who has them i can say that personally all i think they do is make them louder....if you really want to reduce recoil load 7/8 oz loads with #8 shot....you can even pep them up a little and still have less recoil...you know the kids in the olympics shoot 24 gram loads which may even be less than 7/8 and they can kick butt with them...my 7/8 load with a good load of CLays powder will smoke a target like it had dynamite in it with very little recoil....good luck and do what it takes to keep the ole boy shooting....Take a kid shooting....Dick
Old June 8, 2001, 10:23 AM   #3
Bud1

I agree with Mr. Holliday's comment about these choke tubes. The theory behind ported choke tubes is that they grab the wad, preventing it from spinning and thus keeping a more consistent pattern. They do nothing to reduce recoil.

My suggestion for your father (which I follow myself) is the following:

1. An autoloader that fits. (Mine is a Beretta 390)
2. A quality recoil pad. (I like the Pachmeyer Decelerator)
2. Extended forcing cone and barrel porting.
3. As light a load as possible.

Good luck,

Bud
Old June 8, 2001, 11:10 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I doubt any shotgunner can tell the difference in kick between a ported and unported choke tube. While they may reduce kick, the increment is minor.

Besides the good info on how to deal with kick,(gas gun, good fit, long FC and chokes) a coupla other things help.

Ear protection, guns seem to kick less when you use muffs and plugs, even in the field.

Longer bbls. Besides the bit more weight forward, moving the noise a few inches further away seems to help.

And, where we shoulda have started, form.

Stand perpendicular to the target and take one short pace forward with your support side foot. Bend your knee until your balance has shifted forward and your face is more/less over your ankle,almost enough to make you fall forward.

Mount your weapon with your strong side elbow up, to help make the cup in your shoulder the butt fits into.ALL the butt should be in contact with your shoulder, with the heel of the pad about even with the top of your shoulder. The stock should come up to your face, not vice versa.

Pull the stock into you with your support hand, use your strong side hand to control the trigger and safety, and grip lightly with it.Fire, repeat at will.Note how much easier it is to control the rack and get back on target,and how much more comfortable.
Old June 8, 2001, 02:05 PM   #5
Alleycat

Try putting as much lead shot in the buttstock as he can comfortably lift. Heavier gun=less recoil.

Steve