The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 12, 2014, 09:02 PM   #76
Dr. Strangelove

I love the "I have $XXX budget for a scope, what's the best choice?".

It does not matter if xxx is $150 or $2000, someone will come along and say something alone the lines of "Save up X more dollars and you can buy a real scope".

It wouldn't matter if you were mounting the Hubble Space Telescope to your rifle, someone would come along with a "better" satellite based optics system.
Old January 12, 2014, 09:06 PM   #77
5whiskey

Quote:
It does not matter if xxx is $150 or $2000, someone will come along and say something alone the lines of "Save up X more dollars and you can buy a real scope".
I agree with this... and heck I've probably been guilty of it in time past but yeah I can see where that would be annoying. Where I do agree with that is if someone wants a "good" gun at price XXX, but price XXX is completely unrealistic.
Old January 12, 2014, 09:46 PM   #78
L_Killkenny

Quote:
I agree with this... and heck I've probably been guilty of it in time past but yeah I can see where that would be annoying. Where I do agree with that is if someone wants a "good" gun at price XXX, but price XXX is completely unrealistic.
Very rarely do I see completely unrealistic expectations when questions are asked. Dumb questions, yes. Questions that are asked on an hourly basis, yes. But not over the top unrealistic.

Workin scopes in the $30 range and workin guns in the $100 range are not the norm but neither are questions asking for such. Most questions that some feel to answer with "save you money and get something better" are not that far, if any, outside the realm of possibility. Just some, mostly coined as snobs, feel that they are unrealistic. In many cases the unrealistic poster is the one answering not the one asking.
Old January 12, 2014, 09:48 PM   #79
L_Killkenny

Quote:
Very rarely do I see completely unrealistic expectations when questions are asked. Dumb questions, yes. Questions that are asked on an hourly basis, yes. But not over the top unrealistic.

Workin scopes in the $30 range and workin guns in the $100 range are not the norm but neither are questions asking for such. They aren't asked nearly at the rate that you see "buy something better" answers. Most questions that some feel to answer that way are not that far, if any, outside the realm of possibility. Just some, mostly coined as snobs, feel that they are unrealistic. In many cases the unrealistic poster is the one answering not the one asking.
Old January 13, 2014, 12:41 PM   #80
buck460XVR

In the real world, most average gun owners do not need a $500 scope on a $1500 rifle. They just do not use it enough to know the difference between that set-up and one that costs $500 complete. Just like most average reloaders don't use enough ammo to justify a $1500 progressive set-up, or the average hunter needing a $1200 pair of binocs. But on the internet, those are all minimum. In the real world, it ain't always what you have, but how you use it. While tools can make a difference, someone who works building bird houses with his kid for a 4-H project does not need the same tools as a custom furniture builder. Someone clearing their driveway does not need the same size plow as the city he lives in. To some folks $150 for a scope is all the extra cash they have in a year. To recommend they wait 4 more years to get a decent scope is realistic only to the guy who drops more than that on wine for dinner. Realistic is just that. Lookin' down your nose at someone that does not have the money, personal possessions or the ability to buy what you do, realistically....... is just being a snob. Appreciating what you have and your ability to use it, is realistic.
Old January 13, 2014, 02:57 PM   #81
colbad

I have to admit that I too tend to be very snobbish when it comes to a carry gun. There really is no comparison between a Sig and Hi-Point (and others), no matter how much some may argue the merits of the Hi Point etc. However, I remember the days when I was young and poor, where I was proud as could be to own anything that went bang.

My definition of "junk" these days, is something that is not dead nuts reliable to save my life. Admittedly this is influenced by my ability to financially afford to be choosy and that I carry a gun daily as a professional. Sometimes the "piece of junk" that goes bang is better than throwing rocks if that is all you have or can afford. I remember many days in my youth shooting "pieces of junk" that were my pride and joy. Even a "piece of junk" serve a purpose and are fun....but don't argue they are equal to a high end name brands.
Old January 13, 2014, 04:57 PM   #82
KeeperOath

Gun Snobs?

My $6,000.00 Custom Built 1911 and I are always better that most all people at the Gun Range simply because I have a more expensive gun. It's the gun and not the shooter. People with less expensive 1911s can't compete with me.

I am better period. That is, until the person with his El Cheapo (bought used) 1911 out shoots me all day long. I hate that. El Cheapo firearms should be banned from the Range.
Old January 16, 2014, 02:30 PM   #83
Stevie-Ray

Sometimes you can't win no matter what you do. I put a $110 scope on my FAL, (Leaper's 4-16x50) to see if it warranted good glass. It was simply an experiment. Naturally, I got the you wasted 100 bucks, why the hell didn't you just buy a Nikon/Leupold/Zeiss? crowd right off the bat, and when I explained that it was simply to find out if my SAR-48HB warranted good glass, I got the you spent a hundred bucks just to find that out??! Wish to hell I had your money! crowd. Well, sorry, but I was fresh out of friends that were rushing to loan me their Nightforce scopes for a lookie-see, nobody even offered a Tasco, for God's sake. Only good thing that came out of it was the Leaper's is far better than expected, and it's staying on until it breaks-if it does. And the FAL does indeed warrant good glass.

When I bought my AR, I bought Colt. Actually looked at Bushmaster also, but I'm a Colt guy and so was a little biased going in. Didn't have any problems with the Bush either, but it wasn't a whole lot cheaper. I certainly don't begrudge anybody their Daniel Defense options, or even their Olympics. I'm simply glad there are such a wide variety of them, and even more so, their optics, which is a whole nuther subject and thread.