The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 2, 2013, 02:45 PM   #1
Xaak

10/22 ModifImprovements

Just wanted to get some informed opinions. I have the Ruger 10/22 with bull barrel and was thinking about trying out a different approach to the stock. The rifle fires awesome, but is quite heavy in the current configuration ( I understand the barrel is a key contributor to weight, but it has a wooden original stock as well).

Please share your opinion on potential stock swap outs or customization and the difficulty of such a change out. I am very familiar with the break down of the rifle, I just want to add some extras and change it out a bit if it will add functionality and improved portability.

I have seen some reviews that this rifle is good to 200 yards out with certain ammo and scope, is this realistic? Sometimes YouTube'ers are more in line to boast their expertise than discuss practical results.

Thanks
Old January 2, 2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Alabama Shooter

I am not sure what the legalities are in the various localities that you reside in.
Old January 2, 2013, 04:21 PM   #3
Xaak

In Virginia, there is no restrictions to speak of.
Old January 2, 2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Metal god

Just buy a lighter sporter one with the synthetic stock for carry and basic plinking .

I have 5 .22s Ruger , Savage , Marlin , Jennings and they all have there purpose . My 10/22 is all tactical looking , Savage is my heavy barrel target gun and my Jenning is one of those guns that just sits in the safe cus it's junk

Are you planning on doing more work then just a new lighter stock ? I would make that thing heavier and use it as a target rifle

Here is some quick numbers for the 22lr

Your Round 40 gr. .140 B.C.

Range

Yards Velocity Trajectory MOA

Muzzle 1100

100 941 0 0

200 842 -37.7" 18

300 765 -124.4" 39.6

400 699 -270.6" 64.6

500 640 -488.8" 93.3

Link to a rimfire chart of rimfire rounds velocity , BC
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ad.php?t=57007

Link to ballistic calculator
http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-re...ics-calculator

EDIT: sorry it will not let me line up the numbers under each corisponding label .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 2, 2013, 07:09 PM   #5
jmr40

I like the Hogue on a 10-22. Can't stand them on a centerfire, but they are just about right on the 22. It isn't that much lighter, but the factroy wood stocks are too slick for my liking. This is one with an aftermarket barrel. It weighs 7.5 lbs as it sets. About the same, or a little less than a centerfire deer hunting rifle.

I haven't tried it at 200, but it does this at 50. Usually under 1" at 100.

Old January 2, 2013, 07:18 PM   #6
Pahoo

Time to buy another !!!

As you mentioned; the barrel is "your" biggest issue. These Target models are primarily for bench shooting as oppose to shooting squirrels. You can replace the existing barrel with a carbon fiber one. You could also install a stock barrel and free float or semi free float the barrel. It will work but look a little goofy on your existing stock. You can pick up a standard barrel for about $30.00. ...

Or, you can;
Quote:
Just buy a lighter sporter one with the synthetic stock for carry and basic plinking .
Be Safe !!!
Old January 2, 2013, 11:26 PM   #7
Xaak

All good information. I thought about keeping this one for shooting distances with a scope. The weight really isn't terrible, but I do think I found the advice of buying some of the other options offered to have something quick, light and one the same quality system.

I was also told about archangel stocks, but not sure about these. Some claim it is a good fit, others say the manufacturer mentions heating in the oven if it doesn't fit. And again, weight seems the same you just have the AR style carry handle.
Old January 3, 2013, 12:06 AM   #8
Metal god

This is my 10/22 ATI stock

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 3, 2013, 10:45 AM   #9
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
I was also told about archangel stocks, but not sure about these. Some claim it is a good fit, others say the manufacturer mentions heating in the oven if it doesn't fit.
I have one of these on that I used for my suppresion kit. I had to use a dremel to get it to fit correctly; however it is snug now. The "bayonet" attachment is a joke I suggest throwing it away.

I would say the stock is over priced for what it is and I paid bottom dollar for mine. That said I do like it a lot, more than the Tacpco stocks which are rickety.
Old January 3, 2013, 01:36 PM   #10
anothernewb

I have a sporter with an ER shaw factory contour barrel (also called pencil IIRC), trigger work, and a 3-9 scope.

If you went with a lightweight stock, and a trigger job, it would make for a very accurate lightweight model.

Others have gone very extreme and redone the bolt and a few other modifications, get's expensive but will eek out that last .02 of accuracy. Beyond that, I think you are approaching the limits of the factory receiver. But since you seem concerned about the weight, I will assume the object is to build a plinker, not a bench rest unit.

I wouldn't call my setup a 200 yard model, but I wouldn't be afraid to take a shot at something bigger than a squirrel at 100 yards with it, (I ping pop cans with regularity) inside 75 yards I'd take a shot at anything. inside 50 yards, I would put money on a called head shot
Old January 3, 2013, 03:02 PM   #11
loose_holster_dan

i'll trade you my standard barrel for your bull barrel. that will make it nice and light.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old January 3, 2013, 09:34 PM   #12
sholling

I'm a fan of aftermarket wood and laminated wood stocks. Perhaps something like a Revolution Extreme.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Replac...d=RUGER%201022
http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart....html?page=all

Old January 5, 2013, 10:51 PM   #13
Xaak

I think those stocks are more representative of comfortable shooting. They don't appear as wide, and likely are a lot more comfortable if long range sighting something in. Thanks for the replies.