The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 14, 2021, 01:52 PM   #1
old fart

what do I need?

I have found this deer season that my eyes aren't what they used to be, missed three deer this morning. I have great distance vision but can't see close up. I either have blurry sites and see the deer or wear my reading glasses to see my sites but have blurry deer, it's a no win. I have a model 54 Sears made by Winchester and it takes a side mount. What do I need to get it up and shooting with a scope? I don't know anything about side mounts, all the screws are gone from the gun, so the mounts will need to have them. Thanks for any help.
Old November 14, 2021, 11:09 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Hopefully you can get someone who has personal experience with a similar rifle to chime in.

I think your gun is similar enough to a Winchester 94, that a scope mount for that rifle will also fit yours, but I don't have personal experience.

I can see what looks like some "New Old Stock" side mounts for your rifle for sale on ebay and searches pull up a KS-W94 mount by Kwik-Site that looks like it would fit.

Another option that might work for you is a receiver mounted peep sight. Sometimes they can work when open sights start to get fuzzy since they work a bit differently and actually help the eye focus better.
Old November 15, 2021, 02:07 PM   #3
Schlitz 45

Lasik & a new rifle?
Old November 15, 2021, 05:44 PM   #4
Geezerbiker

Try looking though a peep sight to see if that helps. I put a peep on the 94 Winchester I had and it made a huge difference.

Tony
Old November 17, 2021, 10:23 AM   #5
Bob Willman

Try stick-on bifocals in the upper corner of the lens of your glasses where you look through to see the sights so that the front sight is in focus.

Bob
WB8NQW
Old November 17, 2021, 12:47 PM   #6
603Country

My cousin, some years ago, had a similar focus issue with iron sights. I don’t remember all the details, but he found an optometrist that was also a target shooter who prescribed an optical solution. I wish I had more detailed info for you. The cousin said that the ‘fix’ worked.

All you need is a shooter optometrist.
Old November 17, 2021, 01:40 PM   #7
lordvader

Probably not what you want to hear, but maybe you should consider getting a new rifle. One that a scope can mounted over the bore.
Old November 17, 2021, 01:56 PM   #8
hub1home

You should tackle one problem before the other. Get your scope mounted first. Get your eyes in line second. Perhaps get another rifle?

I have the same eye problems, too. With handguns, I live with the blurry front sight. Through a scope, nothing is blurry in the scope and eyes aren't a problem.
Old November 17, 2021, 02:03 PM   #9
ammo.crafter

Eye have it

Speak with an optometrtist who is shooting familiar. Mine had the focal length for my glasses adjusted so that when shooting pistols, my focus begins at arm's length.
Old November 17, 2021, 04:20 PM   #10
Electrod47

For the sake of the deer you could be wounding, trade or swap something for a new ( to you ) rifle with a scope. Something different always brings a little spice to the game.
Old November 17, 2021, 06:48 PM   #11
7.62 man

I had the same problem, if I could see the front sight I couldn't see the rear sight. If I got glasses so I could see the rear sight I couldn't see what I'm shoot at.
I put low power scopes on everything that I hunt with.(I'm not shooting any distance more than 100yds)
Old November 19, 2021, 03:15 PM   #12
Erno86

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
I have found this deer season that my eyes aren't what they used to be, missed three deer this morning. I have great distance vision but can't see close up. I either have blurry sites and see the deer or wear my reading glasses to see my sites but have blurry deer, it's a no win. I have a model 54 Sears made by Winchester and it takes a side mount. What do I need to get it up and shooting with a scope? I don't know anything about side mounts, all the screws are gone from the gun, so the mounts will need to have them. Thanks for any help.
Is your Sears Model 54, already drilled and tapped for peep sights?

If you choose to use a peep sight (Lyman???) for deer hunting. Unscrew the tiny peep aperture, so you'll have a ghost ring sight; which will give you a much better field of view for hunting large game.

A new pair of glasses (not reading glasses) for me, helped me immensely for seeing the front iron sight, without too much blur.

--- George Orwell
Old December 2, 2021, 07:32 PM   #13
bfoosh006

Maybe ?
https://sspeyewear.com/products/top-...hangeable-kits

I use these for pistol shooting mainly... but...
Old December 2, 2021, 11:47 PM   #14
Doc Intrepid

I had a similar problem. I had eye surgery (to remove cataracts) which corrected my vision to a point where I no longer need glasses. Just based on how active my life is, the surgery was life-changing. Obviously it improved my shooting as well.

Just offered for your consideration.
Old December 3, 2021, 12:30 PM   #15
mak2

Hey um, where did you miss those deer at? I got a buck my first time out (ever) and haven't seen anything since.
Old December 3, 2021, 03:45 PM   #16
gwpercle

Depending on the range ... you can fix the problem with a red dot sight , I fixed mine with a Millet SP-1 and on another rifle a Tasco Pro-Point 1 X 30 ... they don't magnify so are useful at iron sight distances . They work by putting the deer and the red dot aiming point in the same focal point ...use your distance vision to see both .
At longer distances a Scope works better ... a 2X power is good for not too distant and a 4X power has served all my deer hunting needs ... I don't take shots over 150 - 200 yards . Your eyes have aged and can no longer focus on the rear sight , front sight and distant deer , all at what seems like the same time ... it happens to us all ...you need a little optical help is all .
Gary