The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 7, 2001, 08:20 AM   #1
Glamdring

Anyone have any stories to share about Moose hunting?

Here in MN they have a very limited amount of Moose hunting and they don't have it every year. Plus if I understand correctly you have to buy a party tag. So 4 or so people have to get license and you get one tag, for the party, or some such.

They didn't have a Moose season here this last year, so I hope they have one this coming year...if they do I am going to try to get a party of hunters together and try it.
Old January 7, 2001, 03:12 PM   #2
BadMedicine

I think party tags are different then you say. Atleast in the states I lived in, a "party tag" worked like this for draw hunts:

If you and your buddy, or in my case me, my dad, and brother, want to go moose hunting, you have to enter a drawing, and fill out the form. But what if one of us gets it, and the other two don't??? My 14 year old brother sure can't go moose hunting alone, right??? So On the drawing applications, they have "party tags." That you can list you and I think 3 other people on, that way, if one of you gets drawn, all of you do, and you can hunt together. AND you each get your own tag, and moose if you're good
BUT if the state says they're only allowing 300 moose to be taken, that don't mean they draw 300 applications, they would count all 4 guys on the application.

I know that's how it works in Idaho, and Washington.
Old January 8, 2001, 10:50 AM   #3
Glamdring

BadMed: I think you may be right. I was looking at MN's DNR website and that made more sense than the printed rules I have. According to the web site Moose hunting isn't party currently but elk hunting is. I have never heard of anyone seeing an elk here in MN though. There can't be very many. I know people do see moose a bit in parts of MN.