The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 7, 2019, 06:48 PM   #1
ChasHam

Handgun Prices

Back maybe 30 years ago, I was a very active handgun hobbyist-- shooting, reloading, bullet casting, buy/sell/trade, kitchen table gunsmithing, etc. Then I got out of the "gun business" until just a few months ago when my interest was rekindled.

It's been a real eye opener seeing current gun, ammo, reloading component prices!

I was in one of those big national outdoor stores over the weekend and most of the handguns were serious three figures, some even four. Even including what I considered some pretty "cheesy" ones.

Ammo prices- even rimfire-- and reloading components are high enough to make you think twice before squeezing the trigger. Sheesh!
Old January 7, 2019, 06:57 PM   #2
Drm50

You have to allow for what money was worth 30yrs ago. The ammo deal is what the market
will bear, like gasoline. Prices have been leveling out but the manufactures have come up
with novel ways to make bucks. The new Specialty ammo is the hype now. If you aren't into
para military calibres you are into the special stuff. A box of 22standard velocity is now boxed sus-sonic or target, with special prices to match. Same deal with CF ammo.
Old January 7, 2019, 07:09 PM   #3
osbornk

I think you need to adjust your thinking about the price of guns, ammo, etc. You figure how long you have to work to buy the gun or ammo now compared to how long you had to work to buy it 30 years ago. I think guns are better now than they ever have been and the cheapest based on the hours needed to work to pay for them. I remember when my Dad paid $28 for a new single shot break barrel shotgun. However, he brought home less than $45 per week with one of the better jobs in town (I'm old].
Old January 7, 2019, 08:14 PM   #4
reddog81

Name one thing that has doubled, tripled or increased in price more than that in the last 30 years.

The variations of guns available today is pretty impressive. Of course that means some of the companies on the fringes have brought out some very “interesting” designs trying to create niche markets.

If you still have your reloading and casting supplies it’s possible to make up most pistol rounds for $.10 or less.
Old January 7, 2019, 08:21 PM   #5
FITASC

Ammo is cheaper now than it has been a many decades when factoring in inflation. I have ammo from 25 years ago that is marked higher than the same ammo I purchased recently.

You can get 9mm handguns from $200 up
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 7, 2019, 09:02 PM   #6
tallball

I pretty much only buy used handguns.

You can get nice ones that used to be police or military sidearms in the $250-$300 range easily enough.

An easy way to pay too much is to look at new handguns at a big box sporting goods store.

I'm not trying to disparage the OP, just pointing out that things might not be as bad as they seemed.
Old January 7, 2019, 09:09 PM   #7
tlm225

Check the price of a new car from thirty years ago vs. now. I still remember $4000.00 ford rangers and chevy S10's. You have the excuse of being in a time warp, jumping from prices thirty years ago to the here and now. I don't have that excuse yet I still remember paying $250 for my new no dash 686. Forking out $500.00 -$1000.00 for a new well made gun now gets to me despite the fact that I have much more disposable money now than I did then.
Old January 7, 2019, 10:17 PM   #8
GoPappy

Quote: "I was in one of those big national outdoor stores . . . . "

When Bass Pro or Cabelas throws a huge sale, their gun prices are only about 10% higher than everyone else.

I mainly buy used guns, but I think there are some great bargains out there for new guns. For example, I recently saw an online retailer selling the S&W Shield for $249.

I don't remember what I paid for my Ruger Mark II back in the early 80's, but I'll bet it was more in 80's dollars than a similar one would be in today's dollars.
Old January 8, 2019, 08:01 AM   #9
USNRet93

Wasn't into guns 30 years ago but for me..have $600 in yer pocket and walk into just about any gun store and walk out with a really nice handgun and a couple boxes of ammo...seems pretty reasonable these days to me..compared to what else is $600...and go online or to a gun show..and yikes..$600 will buy you a nice AR with some ammo...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 8, 2019, 08:24 AM   #10
jar

Welcome to today. I hadn't bought a car or gun or new clothes in a couple decades and am still in sticker shock. And clothes? Wanted a new shirt and it was about what I expected to pay for a sports coat. Fortunately some of my old junk really seems to be stuff folk today want so maybe it's time to clean out some "vintage" junk.
Old January 8, 2019, 09:17 AM   #11
bobn

I am 64. been broke since 1972 with this endeavor. we have 200 dollar 9mms and 300 bolt guns 200 shotguns. however they sure are not m70 win or 700 rems. not diamondbacks or model19s, 1100s or superx1s. definitely not sav 99s, or superposeds.
….so yes we have junk, oops modern production firearms cheap. just not anything you would show your best pal as a heirloom gun. not going to the trap club to brag your new shotgun up unless it cost 4grand plus. more like 8 to 12 is what it takes. (not a dig to the clay target guys). jmho. bobn
Old January 8, 2019, 09:46 AM   #12
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
Name one thing that has doubled, tripled or increased in price more than that in the last 30 years.

The variations of guns available today is pretty impressive. Of course that means some of the companies on the fringes have brought out some very “interesting” designs trying to create niche markets.

If you still have your reloading and casting supplies it’s possible to make up most pistol rounds for $.10 or less.
You mean like cars, trucks, motorcycles, car batteries, tires, engine parts, roof shingles, automotive paints, house paint, lawn mowers, washing machines, refrigerators and on and on and on...……………...
Old January 8, 2019, 10:27 AM   #13
Mal H
Staff

Reminiscing over old prices and the resulting "sticker shock" for guns and other things isn't what this particular forum is about.

Closed.
Closed Thread